Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Blue Buffalo?

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Jeffk 
#1 ·
Hello I'm here with some concerns about my 6 month old boxer pup, Trigger. He is very skinny. He gets fed twice a day but I noticed today it looks like he may have even dropped some weight. We have him on Blue Buffalo puppy food. It has also caused him to have runny poo. I haven't switched his food yet because sometimes my 3 year old would slip him some food when I wasn't watching so I thought maybe that upset his tummy. Well we have him kennel trained now and have been keeping a close eye on those two for over a month. making sure he isn't getting into any food he shouldn't. But there is still no change in the very soft and sometimes runny stool. He also seems to be getting thinner as he's growing. Overall he seems very healthy to me, he's VERY energetic and has a soft coat. He's always ready to play And has never been ill. I've heard it can take awhile for boxers to "fill out" but the weightloss is concerning me. I will be taking him to the vet but I wanted to know others opinion on a good food to switch him to. I was told this is a good brand dog food but its just not working for him. I guess I need to do a little research but any help is appreciated! We Just want our pup happy and healthy.

#2 ·
Can you post pics? Boxers do tend to look skinny and ribby around 6 months. However, if he continues to have runny poo you should take him to the vet and have them check him for parasites like worms, coccidian and giardia. Make sure you and your 3 year old wash their hands very well after playing with Trigger as well.

#4 ·
did you go get him tested for worms or did you just deworm him? also what kind of dewormer did you use? And what kind of food do you feed him? We feed our 3 blue buffalo wilderness chicken (grain free). was thinking of switching to the fish one or even something other than chicken. i've been reading chicken isn't good on boxers tummies. our senior boxer has had diarreah the past 2 days and acting weird. just wondering whats up with him, he's 7. very tired, doesn't really wanna eat, slow, and drinking a lot of water.

#5 ·
It sounds like it may be something other than the food as others have suggested, but our boxer could not handle Blue Buffalo so we switched to Wellness Core puppy with great results. I would make sure everything else is fine then maybe switch off BB. I know some boxers on this board do not do well on BB, each dog is different. Maybe protein is too high in his diet.

#7 ·
I'm almost in the same boat with Owen. He's three and a half and I just switched him to Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural from Purina Dog Chow. He's always been healthy, but does get an upset stomach if he gets into food he's not meant to have like most boxers. I fed him half new food and half old (slightly less than 1 cup each) for about two weeks and just recently upped the ratio to a little over 1 cup new to 1/2 cup old. He did pretty well at first, but for the past week his poop has been really soft towards the end of each deification. Otherwise, he's excellent; coat looks a lot better and he's as energetic as ever. I'm leaning towards him not taking to the food, but it's the first time I've ever switched food on a dog and don't know what the usual signs are.

He's almost finished with the 15lb bad of his new stuff, so I might try something else. Is it bad to switch food up this much on a dog?

#8 ·
I'm almost in the same boat with Owen. He's three and a half and I just switched him to Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural from Purina Dog Chow. He's always been healthy, but does get an upset stomach if he gets into food he's not meant to have like most boxers. I fed him half new food and half old (slightly less than 1 cup each) for about two weeks and just recently upped the ratio to a little over 1 cup new to 1/2 cup old. He did pretty well at first, but for the past week his poop has been really soft towards the end of each deification. Otherwise, he's excellent; coat looks a lot better and he's as energetic as ever. I'm leaning towards him not taking to the food, but it's the first time I've ever switched food on a dog and don't know what the usual signs are.

He's almost finished with the 15lb bad of his new stuff, so I might try something else. Is it bad to switch food up this much on a dog?
The problem with the earthborn holistic primitive natural is it has a really high protein content i would try one of there other foods that is gran free that has less protein...
A high protein content in some dogs just does not do good

#11 ·
Im having a similar problem. I have my 10 week old puppy on the Kirkland's grain free fish. She has runny poos as well. I have thought it may be just the switching over, so I have not tried anything else. We slowly phased out the Iams that she had been on. She has been on it for two weeks and was dewormed aout the same time. I don't know if I should wait longer on the food she is eating or make some changes. And if I make changes, what should I try?

#17 ·
I am trying to figure out what I can feed our two to stop the runny poops and the terrible Sulfur mine that is inside of Buddy that I'm sure is in there from the smell of his gas...

I had both of them on BB Freedom Puppy Chicken and rice. I picked up a bag of the BB Puppy Salmon this weekend and have begun the transition. Hopefully this helps them out.

#20 ·
When I got Tucker, he was eating Pedigree and had loose stools and it was yellow(I think from the dyes) I changed him to BB lamb and rice and he did fairly well on it--all poop issues solved. I, myself was having to go gluten -free due to digestive issues, and thought well why not Tucker, too. I started the changeover process from BB lamb and rice to the BB Wilderness Salmon. He has loved the Salmon since the first time I gave it to him and no stomach issues either. Benefit of switch to Salmon for him was that the pink on his chest that was there due to allergies went away. It only comes back when someone gives him bread/grain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.