Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Female Boxer Aggression

15K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Hulk 
#1 ·
I am running into a problem with my 2 year old unfixed female boxer.

It all started about a month ago when she came into her heat. She is a beautiful flashy AKC fawn and I wanted to breed her. However, before I took her to the stud, she became aggressive to my other female dog (Basset Hound), and I thought it was a little weird. However, when I took her to the stud, she almost bit his head off. She warmed up to him a couple of times, but never really would allow breeding and would attack.

I decided that was not the time for breeding. However, when I brought her home, she has gotten more and more aggressive as each day goes by. I have tried different methods. Feeding them separately. But the minute my boxer sees the Basset, she attacks.

The Basset grew up as the Alpha dog until the boxer went into this heat and now it seems the Boxer wants to be the alpha dog.

I have tried flipping my boxer over on her back to show she can't attack. However, the minute I let her go, she begins looking for the other dog.

Any suggestions on how to fix this behavior?

See less See more
#2 ·
ryanadams23 said:
I am running into a problem with my 2 year old unfixed female boxer.

I

I have tried flipping my boxer over on her back to show she can't attack. However, the minute I let her go, she begins looking for the other dog.

Any suggestions on how to fix this behavior?

I highly recommend you do not do this! It actually creates fear in your dog and could possibly make them more aggressive. First off I would recommend you get her spayed. This may help your situation. Intact females or males have way more attitude.
Have you contacted a trainer or a behaviourist? How long have the 2 dogs lived together? Alot of times females and females do not get along. Is your Bassett hound spayed? Sounds to me like they are both fighting to be alpha. And they are both dominant. Have you shown them that you are the pack leader (not by being physicial, but by creating boundaries and rules?)

#3 ·
I agree about the alpha roll, this is not a solution to behavioral problems. Heat cycles can make them extra aggressive or moody. When theres another female around she sees her as competition for breeding. Either keep them separated until the heat cycle is over, or get her spayed.

#4 ·
:up: Good answers..Females, especially if still able to breed can get very difficult, especially around other females..Even if they are fixed it can still be an issue, hence why Angel no longer goes to meetups...

If you are intent on breeding, I assume all health testing has been done? Also your female may need to wait until she's older to be bred, some need that extra time to mature.

#6 ·
I really hope that you won't breed her, no offense. It sounds like her temperament isn't right and may not be a good canidate for breeding. Spaying her may help some of the moodiness but won't solve what is going on in your house right now. You need a good behaviorist to come in and help you reconstruct your pack. I would make your boxer where a leash at all times, it is the easiest way/safest way to break up a dog fight. The leash will also be symbolic of your control as a leader. I would read some good material on leadership. It really does sound like she is challenging your role as leader.

#7 ·
It's actually not uncommon for the female to be aggressive toward a male during mating attempts, especially in the early stages of the heat. It usually means she is not ready yet but is no indication of overall temperament. Her aggression during a heat toward a rival female wouldn't terribly concern me either. But clearly temperament and health testing should be standard before attempting breeding (again).

#8 ·
One of the others things you need to consider with a change in temperament is there is some under lying health issue, when dogs are in pain they may become aggressive, you may want to get her thoroughly checked out by a vet just to be on the safe side.

#9 ·
I was refering to her overall becoming more aggressive as she stated in her post. Not specifically to the mating ritiual. I would be concerned about the rival issues, not addressing them will only allow things to get worse. Having been in that situation with two males, one past sexual maturity and one coming into...leadership is a must and being proactive....and I would consult with a behaviorist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.