Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

wierd snorting?

17K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Pacosmomie 
#1 ·
Ok, so we all have colds, and it almost seems like Jax does too. He is kind of snorting, like a "miss piggy" type of snort. Almost like he needs to sneeze, but then snorts instead. He is doing this a few times a day. Other than that, he is fine. I hate to go to the vet for nothing, but will if needed. He hasn't been around other dogs, or in any strange places for some time. Any ideas?

#5 ·
Sounds like maybe reverse sneezing. Here's a video I dug up on youtube that shows a boxer doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUOCVEidtno

It's scary when it happens, but it's really harmless. It's just an irritation of the throat that causes spasm's and makes them do this. You can try to massage the throat to make it stop, or you can put your hand over your dogs nostrils, which makes them swallow which hopefully will clear their throat.

#7 ·
Yeah, I think that youtube video was an extreme case. I've never heard it go on that long. At least I have never let it go on that long. :no:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.