Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

how long does it take in sub zero temps

5K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Kosmic Kimi 
#1 ·
Our temp is zero degrees with a minus zero wind chill right now. My dogs go out to do their business and right back in or their feet start to freeze up. How long does it take in these conditions for a 4 month old (ole english bull dog) to freeze to death out there? I called the animal shelter because my neighbors little one was outside barking when I let mine out to potty this morning and 30-40 minutes later he was still outside crying. There is no shelter for him, he just sits by their back door crying.
This is the same puppy I went to the owners door and tried to talk to them when she was on 6-8 weeks old & they slammed the door in my face. (there is an old thread about that) I am very very concerned for the little one and don't know what to do! Animal shelter said they can't come out because they finally let the puppy back in while I was on the phone with them. I asked the animal shelter to at least come out and talk to them about the dangers of the weather elements and the fact that she is also let out their front door often and unattended with no fence in the front and she is always out by the road when I come home from work.
There was recently an adult dog that froze to death after the neighbors waited several days before calling in thier concerns & I don't want that situation to happen with this little girl. Ugh!!! I am just so frustrated right now I can't see straight!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh goodness....I would be making some phone calls or heck even go get that baby and bring him in...poor thing! There has got to be someone who will listen, trouble is, I wouldn't know who! That baby deserves better than the treatment he is receiving now...good luck, keep us posted!

#3 · (Edited)
Call the police,not the shelter. Perhaps even take video of the situation. The police will have to log the call and if this happens a few times perhaps something will be done. Hopefully it won't be too late for the little one.:( Here is a link to the statutes that constitute cruelty to animals under Ohio law. Your neighbor is breaking the law.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusoh959_01_99.htm#s131

#4 ·
Ugh! Who else can I call??? I wanted to bring her in by my fireplace but the last time they left her out like that I was informed that I could be arrested if I try to help her like that. I have made and made calls believe me and nobody wants to do anything for her...they never come out here when she is actually out there freezing like that. When you can get them to come out on a call the owners see the truck pull up and let her in and tell them oh, she was only out there to potty-we don't leave her out there very long and off the animal shelter goes back to their warm office without another thought about her.
If it happens again after noon when they are closed I will call 911 and report it to them. I just don't know what else to do and I don't want to see on the news that she froze to death out there and people wonder why didn't the neighbors call or do anything for her besides the fact that no animal deserves that treatment! The little fella I called on that was chained out in this cold with no house or anything and curled up in a little ball on a concrete step in November died recently from the elements and it makes me sick because of the amount of times I have reported that owner over the past 3 years for neglect (in the summer too) and nothing got done about it now it's too late for him. Sorry for the venting but I am soooooo angry right now that they may have to arrest me sometime today if it continues! Oh and it's up to a whopping 5 degrees now so not looking like it's going to warm up much anytime soon either.

#5 ·
o my goodness. Don't know what you are suppose to do but I would call the cops tell them this happens all the time and have video of the pup. I also would probally end up getting arrested..cause I would bring him in. Who knows if they would notice he was gone. Good luck keep venting if you want we are here for you.

#6 ·
That is why I am suggesting you video her - if you're machine has a date/time stamp you could show how long the poor baby has been out there.

I know it is frustrating. We have a neighbor with an elderly dog they leave out to roam and who also poops and pees on everyone's lawn, plus she is out in the elements barking to come in for hours!

Take care and if you really find that the dog is suffering and looks about to expire from the elements, knock on the door again or, heck with the police, grab the dog!

#10 ·
Really, I think they can if you know who it belongs to...my bestfriend took in a Boston she kept finding running the streets in her neighborhood after returning the dog 3 times to it's owner she just said f*** it I'm keeping her...they cops came to her door with the animal shelter and threatened to take her off to jail if she didn't give that dog back to it's owner since she knew who the owner was. Now this woman is not afraid to stand up for herself and she got into quite an arguement with them because they wouldn't come out when she had been reporting the owner but they couldn't get there quick enough when the owner called on her, I had to go bail her butt out that day over all that mess because she couldn't stop runnin her mouth to the police so they arrested her. Next time she found her roaming the streets she pulled up in her car, loaded her up and headed out of town to a realitive that took and kept her and when they came back to her door she said she hadn't seen her since she got home from jail. I guess my point is that there is more than one way to skin a cat :) Maybe I can borrow a video camera from my x-husband and tape it and send it to this news station we have that acts on things like this.

#8 ·
I am keeping an eye out for her while I am home all weekend and with a fire in the fireplace I can hear her barking through the chimeny. I don't have a video recorder that I can do that with, just cell phone for like 3 min at a time. If she is out there suffering I will call the police and/or go get her and just take my punishment like a big girl. How long is too long for her to be out there though? I thought 30-40min was way too long.
I have spoke with the man that lives there several times at the fence and he always seems drunker than a skunk, he asks me everytime he sees me what kind of dog Kosmo is & I tell him a boxer & he says wow really, he's the biggest boxer I've ever seen are you sure he's not a bull mastif. Then he asks if Karma is a pitbull & if Toby is a english bulldog... I tell him what they all are & he can't even remember that for 24 hours, how is he going to remember that puppy is outside! He slurs when he talks and staggers around with a rolled up newspaper after the puppy if he's out front when she tries to go toward the road. The wife won't speak to me anymore since I went to their door that day about the pup. They have a little chihuahua over there too but I don't see much of her outside ever. Thanks for letting me vent :)

#13 ·
I will keep an eye out and keep calling the police this weekend if it continues. She is back inside right now. I called the vet and asked how long she could withstand it out there and they said not long at all and to keep calling 911 & they would have to respond...i have my vets mobile # too so he said I can call him if they don't respond and he will get involved. I am also giving some thought to going and getting a little house igloo for her and putting straw inside it and just stopping there and trying to talk to them about letting me put it out by their back door for her to go in while she's waiting to be let back inside. My other concern is, I don't want to make them angry and have them take it out on my dogs...our properties adjoin kinda where the fences meet up in the back corner of my lot and they could poison my dogs or something when we aren't looking. You just never know what people like that would do and you all should know what a worry wart I can be by now. lol

#14 ·
I would tell 911 or police that you're keeping a log of all the times your calls are ignored, and that when the dog dies from neglect your next phone call will be to the newspaper or news stations. Maybe that will put a fire under their asses to respond. :/ It's good that your vet is willing to get involved at least.

#15 ·
You should call the human society so they can send over an animal cruelty officer. Video tape what is going on and also take an outside thermometer and register the temperature and then hold it up to the camera so you have some proof. Usually I can say from my own experience anything over 30 minutes in sub zero temperatures is to long for a short coat dog.

#16 ·
Well they must have came out and spoke with the owner after I called because I have not seen her out for very long at a time since then. Hopefully they are better informed now and maybe it won't happen again. I will be keeping a close eye out on her and I have lined up a video camera that I can borrow from a friend in case it happens again.

#17 ·
I will never understand why some people continue to be so ignorant. I am in favor of taking that poor baby and driving out of town to drop it off at a friend or relative's warm home. If i was there Kosmic Kimi, I would totally go on this mission and make you be my accomplice. Mission "Warm up the baby"

#20 ·
Oh man that is just horrible!! People like that shouldn't be allowed to own pets or have children!! I would call the police station in your town...don't call 911 that is an emergency line and you can actually get in trouble for calling if it's not a real emergency. However if you call the direct # to your local police or sheriff's office at least they may be able to tell you what you can do. I know that the town my husband is a police officer in has an animal control officer and you have to call the police department in order to report anything to her. So you never know maybe the local police station will have an animal control officer. Other wise i would call a local humane society or dog rescue. Shelters are understaffed and under-funded they won't have the resources to help.

Hope that puppy gets a new home soon!!

#21 ·
A couple of thoughts: Just take the dog. Call a bull dog rescue org. and see if they have any thoughts, call your local paper and/or TV station, call animal control EVERY DAY drive them nuts, and finally make a sign put it in your yard on your property that says something like LOOK DOG ABUSER W/a arrow or something, make if visible so people driving by see it.

I get so PO'd when people dont know how to treat and love there animals!!!!!!!!:explode:

Attachments

#24 ·
I'd call the police too and ask them if they recommend calling animal control in your area. They would know what they are used to hearing about from other residents and if the animal control will respond to something like this.

Poor sweet, pup.

My dachshund can only be outside for a little less than 3 mins before he curls down into fetal position, sometimes I have to carry him in, poor little guy. The Boxer however, will play out there for 15-20 minutes - happy as clam then I'll bring him in when *I* start to get cold. LOL

#25 ·
Damn,looks like they have no idea how fragile and feeble english bulldogs are.

Anything related to time,cut it in half for those dogs.

#26 ·
I followed up with the Animal Shelter this morning...they said they came out Saturday morninig after my call and gave the people a copy of the laws and had a talk with them. They also said if she is left out longer than 15min. that I need to call again. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

#27 ·
Oh good. I hope they don't try anything stupid with your dogs. Sometimes people are so ignorant it just burns my a$$!!!!!!!!

You are a good person and I know this is a giant pain in the butt however, you did the right thing. On behalf of all animal lovers: THANK YOU!!!!!

#28 ·
Well they said they wouldn't tell them it was me that called but if the people think about it much they would probably figure it was either me or my other Boxer neighbor...I hope they are smart enough not to mess with any of our dogs if they presume it was one of us...you are right about some people being just plain ignorant and that's they type people that would pull something like that. I would NEVER take anything back out on their but they would have made their worst enemy if they mess with my dogs and start a war that they won't want to be in :) I would do anything to protect my babies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.