Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

ingrown hair???

14K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  tomnina3 
#1 ·
Over the past couple of weeks we have noticed a couple lil’ scabs on Ren’s coat.

We noticed one last night again as we were petting her so I took a couple of photos to share and see if anyone else has had any experience with something like this.

This is what it looks like when we first notice them on her coat…

Here’s what the scab/hair itself looks like. As you can see the hair is really thick and it feels really sharp to the touch. The area doesn’t hurt her or seem to bother her at all and once we remove it her skin/scalp doesn’t look red or irritated – it looks normal, just missing hair…

And this is what her coat looks like once it is removed. If you look closely you can see there are two spots where her hair is missing. The first one was from about a week and a half ago and now the second one was from last night…

She goes at the beginning of February to get her Bordetella Vacc so I figured we could just ask our vet about it then.

We're 99% sure they are just ingrown hairs, but I just wanted to share and see if maybe it could be something else? Something we should be concerned about?

Any thoughts on what it could be?

See less See more
#4 ·
Not too sure either. Hope the vet can give you some insight when you go.

Smooches to Ren!

#6 ·
We thought that at first too, but Lee and I are pretty sure they're not scabs from scrapes or scratches because as soon as we have removed the hair, her skin is fine and looks normal except for the missing hair in those two spots.

#7 ·
It really does look a lot like the scratches and scrapes that Dodger and Daisy always have from each other, it probably is just ingrown hair.

#9 ·
The first thought I had was an encapsulated folliculitis. I think there was a small infection in the hair follicle and then it walled itself off. So theoretically it healed from the bottom up so by the time the hair falls out it is healed underneath. Interestingly the following article says that folliculitus can present like hives and is caused by a specific bacteria so perhaps some of the "hives" are actually a skin infection.

Dog Hair Follicle Infection | eHow.com

#10 ·
I see that this thread is 9 months old but my boy has something maybe similar to that around where his collar goes. I was thinking it was the collar rubbing the hair. Took Jaeger to the vet and he is not sure but it might be a combo of a reaction to a nylon collar, the dye in the collar, or friction. I need to do a process of elimination. I have also started increasing his salmon oil capsules from one per day (1,000 i.u.) to three a day and have started letting him eat a few baked salmon Kong treats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.