Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Grocery store brand dog food that isn't half bad!

6K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  SaharaNight Boxers 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I wouldnt feed anything with beet pulp in it. No name and PC are two different brands, just an FYI. But as for PC's grain free dog food it isnt bad if your budget is limited. I mean its better than alot of the other foods on the grocery store shelf.

Loblaws has a health section in the middle of their stores. Its usually where you will find all the gluten free, environmentally friendly cleaners etc etc. Go to that section and there is a dog food that is in there that is not put out with the other kibbles. Right now the name isnt coming to me but it is a really good quality food but comes with a price.

#4 ·
Yes, I know that No Name and PC are different (although they are bothe Loblaws brands). I just meant it was a "no name" type of brand for the people who don't know Loblaws.

I'm planning on switching Duke to Acana because budget isn't an issue for us. I was just curious to see what others thought about this food.

Actually I wanted to switch him to Orijen but I hear that not all dogs do well on a high protein food, so I figured Acana was the safer choice.

#5 ·
Acana is also hit and miss but the protein % seem to be lower than the Orijen. When I fed kibble neither agreed with my crew. They all got horrible gas and soft stools.

Give it a go, transition slowly and if it works, then great! Champion Pets make an excellent dog kibble. If it doesnt work, try giving Fromm's a chance or Now.

#6 ·
I'm using Fromm right now... I'm happy with it. His stools are good, his coat is shiny but he does have some pretty stinky room-clearing gas at times and he seems to have itchy ears... not sure if it's the kibble or treats or something else? I'm not even sure if switching kibble will help or if it's even kibble related! But I thought that it can't hurt to try? Or is it even worth switching since overall he seems to be doing well on it, minus the stinky gas? And if he has stinky gas, it must be upsetting his tummy?

#8 ·
Thank you Kari.

And yes, I know... :( I would love to go raw but hubby doesn't want to! Out of curiousity, where do the Canadians - specifically Ontarians that feed raw get their meat? It's so bloody expensive at the grocery store!

I think I'm going to try a totally grain free kibble and see if that helps with the gas and itching. He doesn't fart all the time but there are days, especially in the evening, where his gas could clear the room. It's truly vomit inducing!

The itching isn't excessive, and maybe it's just normal dog scratching. But I find he scratches at his ears more than any other part of his body and he sometimes has a red spot here and there on his belly that might be hives?

#9 ·
#11 ·
Thank you Kari! So these places are specifically pet food providers? So you don't go to a butcher or store to get your meat? We have the Maple Lodge farm just up the street from us but I don't even shop there for us and I don't know how cost effective it would be to buy from there?

Anyhow, until I can convince hubby to raw feed I guess we'll have to stick to kibble. :doubt:

#12 ·
Maple Lodge is a great place to get necks, backs and even chicken legs. I rarely purchase my meat from a butcher or grocery store.

I get my chickens legs from King Capon in Newmarket, I get my beef, goat, lamb from a slaughter house and everything else I get from My Best Friends Food in Oshawa.

I feed Raw for cheaper than I feed high end kibble. Not only is it more cost effective but it is way more healthier than kibble!

#14 ·
Bosley is on Orijen. The only complaint I have is that he is not interested in eating it unless I put something extra on it.

He would do really well on raw I know that, but my hubby is dead set against it. Bugger. I've yet to convince him.

He eats now, but only because I cook up some ground beef and chicken, mix in some brown rice and a dash of chicken broth (low-sodium) and mix it all in.

Not all the time... usually at dinner. I'm pretty sure I've created my own problems here but hey, atleast he's eating. He looks good again (not too ribby), his coat is shiny and he actually doesn't fart (only on occaision ;) ). He gets raw meaty bones as treats as well as marrow bones. He's spoiled lol

#15 ·
Yup, same here Valerie - half the time Duke sniffs at his kibble, eats a bit and walks away. I too have given him cooked chicken, beef and other leftovers. I think once they taste the "good stuff" they have a hard time understanding why we're serving them hard, tasteless little bits of dry stuff. lol

Once I set my mind to something I can be quite stubborn. I just have to get myself educated on this and comfortable with it... plus, to think of all the meat we've wasted and thrown away because it was freezer burned. That could've been a delicious meal for Duke! Mind you this was mostly before we had him but still! lol

#16 ·
I agree either Acana or Orijin (if your dog(s) can tolerate it, every "body" is different) are excellent foods -I feed Acana & love it because Champion uses all fresh products (nothing frozen) to manufacture the kibble. Fromm is also a good food as the other member pointed out.

I also feed a raw diet in the morning & Acana as the evening meal - it might be a compromise to your hubby. Also, perhaps your husband might be O.K. with you trying a couple of chicken wings as a snack in the afternoon (and utilizing a bit less kibble at one of your two daily feedings)? It might be a way to transition.

#21 ·
I think it really depends on how you look at it also. I buy grinds and only spend about $80 a month. I could go cheaper on whole cuts and if I reached out more. On Blue Buffalo kibble we would be spending about the same. I would've switched him to Orijen though probably so we were looking at $130 a month for kibble. He eats a lot. For me, the major money saver was not having to go to the vet for ear infections also.

#19 ·
Raw can be affordable IF you can find good meat sources. You have to do some research and ask around.

Pet store premade Raw is crazy expensive! Purchasing from a grocery store or butcher is doable if you stock up on meats that come on sale. Ask your local butcher for bulk pricing on cheaper meats such as Beef, pork or lamb hearts. They can get them in by the case. Also you can get your bone content from chicken carcases (backs) or necks.

Its all about sourcing out your meats. There are also Raw co-op's in the US more so that take and deliver orders once a month. These guys get the best pricing because so many people go in on an order to help keep the costs down. If you do join a co-op then you must invest in a freezer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.