Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Puppy looking too skinny

10K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Keenyah n Horatio 
#1 ·
Hey! My 9 week old pup Lily is getting kinda Ribby. We've only had her a few days and she doesn't seem to be eating enough.

She also is breathing super fast when she sleeps.

She was checked for worms and doesn't appear to have any.

Thoughts? Canidae Dog Dog breed Carnivore Sporting Group

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#28 ·
Ok- thanks for being so helpful. I'm glad I'm not going through it alone! I have a whole forum of supporters!

On a positive note- Lily is AMAZING! She is 10 weeks and sits on commands and comes when called most of the time. She readily responds to correction and is eager to please. She is curious, playful, and 12lbs of pure love!

I can't help but post pics with each reply because she's just a "hoot"!
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#31 ·
Hey there.. Your story sounds very familiar to mine. I too am (as are my family) strict vegan. However, both my pups are on raw diet. Like you said- it IS the best diet there is for them. Your vet will try and sell you kibble for his/her benefit, they will try and put you off raw, but don't listen to them!! Vets do not study 'dog nutriton' at bet school. (I am not sure of her name, but if you go on you tube there is a woman on there who specializes in dog nutrition and the prey raw diet.. check it out)
At the beginning ours too were on science diet (as recommended by vet) at 6weeks and 4months they both developed round/ring worm.. which is when i switched them to raw (that day!).. and now they are doing amazingly (2.5 months later).. all the worms cleared, they look better, act better and are happier, not to mention they LOVE dinner time! Don't worry about salmonella.. dogs can handle the raw food (they dont have digestive systems like ours) and the acid in their stomachs are a lot stronger than ours and can handle the bacteria. Try and stick with the raw diet.. it really is the best thing for them!!
(I never thought the vegan in me would be so fascinated with watching my fur babies devour raw meat like they do). Lily is BEAUTIFUL by the way. Best of luck!

#34 ·
Dominos, as they said raw is best (still hoping to get hub to change his mind) but I feed Blue Buffalo. Pheona is on a lamb & brown rice while Murphy is in the process of switching to a grain free chicken formula. Both girls like what they are on. I was looking at the Wilderness formula as it is grain free but hub was worried about the amount of protein in it. We were told when we got Pheona to watch the percentage of protein.

#35 ·
Our vet strongly suggests the same about protein intake with boxers. We actually had an issue with too high protein causing seizures in our Patch. We reduced his protein intake and no more seizures! My question then becomes, why don't dogs eating prey raw have this issue? In my mind, it's gotta be the "processed proteins" causing these issues. I'm hoping to begin the raw transition soon.

#36 ·
Jax Mummy, WOW! I bet you he is one good looking boy!

Af-wx-wife thanks! I hope to transition back to raw again soon, I hope you are able to also! I noticed when Lily was on RAW her eyes didn't tear quite as often... I wonder if this is related?!

Boxerlove4- thank you! I completely agree! People keep telling me this... she was not even the 'best looking' of the litter (of course to me she is)- the breeder I got her from has the MOST amazing pups in both temperament and looks... I should upload the parents pics- the dad is a 65lb brindle the mom a petite red... I think with the variation of genes it just made for a pretty litter!

Buddahboss- thank you for your post. HA! You sound like me... 'dogging on' the lack of nutrition training in vets and I often go on and on about Md.'s as well. ;)

I am going to search for that youtube link! Thank you sooo much!

Admittedly, because I haven't even bought meat for years- the whole thing is just weird- but I know it will come more naturally as I continue to learn more.

Thank you all for your encouragement! I feel so fortunate to have access to such a beautiful group!

#37 ·
HAHA! Tell me about it.. i still get a bit wheezy when i walk into the butchers.. have to hold my breath too. It does get easier though!! Soon you will get excited every time you walk past the meat counter in the supermarket. lol. It makes me laugh- the pups meals cost more that ours. Keep us updated!! Boss is only 3 months (he starts his raw diet at 6 weeks old)- he was eating through chicken wings and legs.. i just had to hold it for him to help him for a while.

#38 ·
Vets aren't typically given much education in nutrition at school and they are also paid by dry food companies to endorse their products. So I usually just let my vet rant and rave about how great Keenyah looks and then bust out the raw diet card. LOL. I got lucky and my old vet in WI is actually the one who turned me in the direction of the raw diet. Can't find a vet like that here in Colorado Springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.