Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Mange Natural Remedies

20K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  Hailey'sMom 
#1 ·
Canine mange is caused by mange mites (e.g. Sarcoptes scabei, Demodex canis). Mange usually occurs in dogs with weakened immune systems, and can cause a lot of discomfort to dogs, such as intense itching, skin lesions, and hair loss. Conventional treatment for this dog skin infection is usually the use of some strong chemicals, which very often will weaken our dog's immune system further. Using natural home remedies for mange, on the other hand, can enhance our dog's immune system, so that the body can fight off the mange mite infection by itself. At the same time, natural remedies such as nutritious foods, herbs and other supplements can be used to treat the skin problem topically. This mild natural treatment approach sounds much better than the harsh chemical treatment, don't you think?

Home Remedies for Mange

Home remedies for mange also include dietary supplements that are beneficial to a dog's skin. These supplements can help relieve your dog's itch and improve his skin conditions. Here are some essential supplements that you should give your dog:
  • Vitamin E (5-10 mg/lb daily)
  • Vitamin C (10 mg/lb, 2-3 times a day)
  • Fish oil (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoonful per 10 pounds, 1-2 times daily) Fish oil provides omega-3 fatty acids and can be very effective in easing an itch.
A very good natural product that I have found is Dr. Harvey's Health and Shine. It contains a good combination of borage oil, flaxseed oil, fish oil, and Vitamin E. Check it out here: Dr. Harvey's Health and Shine for Dogs
You will be surprised at the fast improvement in your's dog coat condition.

Topical Herbal Remedies for Canine Mange

Herbs are one of many home remedies for mange that are safe and effective. Herbs that have natural antibacterial, antiseptic, and wound-healing properties can be used to help dogs with mange. Use a natural doggie shampoo that contains tea tree oil
to wash your dog. Tea tree oil is a potent essential oil that is highly antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal, and is excellent in eliminating bacteria and other microorganisms that can cause skin problems to your dog. In addition to shampooing, use some of these herbal remedies topically on the skin lesions and itchy spots caused by mange: Garlic Garlic contains sulphur compounds which mites dislike. Diluted garlic oil can therefore be used topically to the affected areas. Since garlic is antibacterial as well, applying garlic oil to the affected areas will have the added benefit of minimizing bacterial infection. Some dogs are sensitive to garlic, however, and if that's your dog, the herb licorice can be used instead. Neem and Lavender One of the most common home remedies for mange is the use of neem and lavender. Together these two oils can make an effective skin rinse against mange. Neem oil has long been used for its ability to repel pests such as fleas, ticks, mites, and so on. Neem oil also has skin healing properties that are good for skin infections. Lavender essential oil is antiseptic, antibacterial and antiviral, and is mild enough to use even on small dogs. To make a skin rinse for mange, you need:
  • 1 part Lavender essential oil
  • 1 part Neem oil
  • 10 parts Almond oil
Apply to affected areas once or twice daily. Yarrow Yarrow is excellent in wound healing; it stops the bleeding from oozing wounds. Yarrow oil, salve, or ointment can be applied to the affected areas. Other herbs Other herbs that are effective against mange include
  • Echinacea, which is an immune-booster and has antibacterial properties;
  • Calendula, which is an excellent wound healer;
  • Aloe Vera, which is antibacterial and has a soothing effect on itchy and irritated skin.
Internal Herbal Remedies for Canine Mange

While using home remedies for mange topically to heal the skin lesions and infections brought on by mange, it is also important to use herbs and supplements to strengthen the dog's immune system. Internally, use an herbal immune-booster such as Only Natural Pet Blood and System Herbal
to enhance your dog's and fight bacterial infections. This herbal supplement contains a lot of useful herbs, such as:
  • Burdock root: This herb is a blood cleanser and detoxifier. It is also good for dry, flaky, scaly skin.
  • Echinacea: This herb is well known for its immune-enhancing functions. With a stronger immune system, dogs are less likely to be bothered by parasites such as mites, fleas, and so on. As well, they are more resistant to bacterial and viral infections.
  • Oregon Grape: Similar to echinacea, Oregon grape is also an immune-booster. It also helps cleanse and detoxify the blood.
  • Licorice root: Licorice helps stimulate the adrenal glands to produce natural corticosteroids, which are anti-inflammatory. Thus, licorice is good for skin imflammation without the side effects brought on by synthetic steroid drugs.
  • Sarsaparilla: This herb has antibacterial actions for skin conditions and is good for chronic skin infections.
  • Red Clover: Red clover is another blood purifier and immune-enhancer.
All in all, this is an excellent herbal supplement that can greatly help dogs with immune systems that are weakened or compromised.

Coconut oil wasnt mentioned in this article but it is also another option for soothing the skin as well as fighting bacterial infections. See more information on Coconut Oil here:
http://www.boxerforums.com/holistic-care/65426-benefits-coconut-oil.html

Copied from Home Remedies for Mange | Canine Mange Herbal Remedies

See less See more
#2 ·
Its funny you started this post Sue as I was going to start one as well. Instead I will just add to your if you dont mind?

TREATING EITHER DEMODECTIC OR SARCOPTIC MANGES
The main objective is to lower stress, and boost immunity via diet and supplements.

The recipe for the lemon wash is this:
Slice raw lemons, rind on. Add pomegranate skin if you have any (optional). Place in a pot with a handful of fresh or dried rosemary herb. Add enough boiling hot water just to cover. Allow to simmer for a few minutes covered on the stove. Remove from stove and allow to steep until just warm at which point you can begin to use it. Do not remove the lemons or rosemary…just pour off a little liquid to use, and store the mix in a capped jar. You can add a little vodka to preserve it, but as the lemons begin to mold and fall apart, remove them and replace them with fresh lemons. If you place it in a hot sunny window it will keep steeping the new lemons. Leave it there and pour off the water to spray into the skin all over the animal. (For cats I would omit the rosemary). Use it at least once or twice daily. It will take 3 weeks before you notice that the patches of lost hair begin to return.
Be sure to do both this external treatment along with nourishing/supplementing the immune system. Wash all bedding and put in a very hot dryer to kill any mites that might be on the beds. Wash floors with 20 mule team borax in the mop water, and don’t rinse it off. (2 or 3 tablespoons per bucket of hot water and soap). Dissolve the borax in hot water and put in a spray bottle and spray all the furniture cushions, and carpeting. I’d do that once a week. This borax protocol will also keep your animals from ever having flea infestations.
If you have one of those “shark” steamers, that would be effective to steam all furniture and flooring to kill mites and eggs as well.

#4 ·
Kari I'm glad you added some more information...feel free to add anytime :)

As far as the Coconut oil has such great properties both internally and topically I would do both :)

#5 ·
Thanks SO much for all this info. I have some neem oil at home (and lavender). I also should be receiving some coconut oil within today or tomorrow.

Thanks, Gouda's mom, you always provide such GREAT holistic information!! btw, i also will start Georgie on astralagus (sp?).

I hope the topical treatments will help Georgie's fur/skin... she isn't overly scratching, but she is scratching... i have put vitamin E oil on at night, but she just licks it off... so, i stopped doing it bc i wasn't sure if it would be bad for her to ingest.

thanks again, all... always very VALUABLE info on here!!
:)

#6 ·
Astragalus is great stuff! I give it to Kippah as an immune booster/preventative. I give it 3 weeks on 1 week off per month, but it's ok to give it daily when there is an issue. I gave it to Gouda 2x daily for 3 years :)

#11 ·
Just a quick question, I just bathed Merckx and he lost more furs than usual, his d-mange is flaring up again, especially on his face and neck. He has meningitis so he can't take any supplements that boost his immune system, as it will make his meningitis flare up. So my question is, will coconut oil be enough to help him? I have neem oil that I can mix with it. Currently we are just bathing once a week in a neem shampoo (always washing his beddings), and then getting a bit of grapeseed oil and neem oil applied where it's losing the hair. Sometimes it seems to work, but currently that is not the case. It's so frustrating!

#12 ·
I'm not sure the coconut oil would work as far as getting rid of the mange but I'm sure it would be good as a preventative to any bacterial infection the pup might get from the skin problems. It wouldnt hurt anything to try it. Im so sorry your pup is having all those problems!

#15 ·
Yes start out small and see how it goes. Too much too quick can cause stomach upset. But I must say I never have made it to the max amount to give them. I am at about 1 tablespoon daily for Kippah at this moment.

#16 ·
Yes, I've read the same thing about starting out with small amounts. Tonight I just gave Georgie a doggy massage with the oil (which is solid, like butter and melts). I rubbed it on her pink spots... And then she pretty much licked it off and proceeded to licked my hands, too...

So, it's safe to say that Georgie likes it... :). And it feels nice on my hands, too, from the dry winter weather!! :)

#22 ·
Looks like my foster Cameron's potential adopter flaked out on him and will not be adopting him as planned. Cameron will be staying with us a little longer until he's adopted out. In the meantime, I would like to try home remedies to help treat his mange. Currently, he's on Ivermectin, Cephalaxin and Fluconazole. And he's bathe twice a week, alternating between Peroxiderm shampoo and HexaChlor-K shampoo. What course of home remedy treatment should I follow given the different meds and shampoo he's currently on. Thanks!

#23 ·
The Boxer I recently got into TBR had terrible sores all over her but not mange it was a bacterial and fungal infection brought on by bad allergies and no treatment. Anyways I slathered her with coconut oil and the staff did also at the shelter it helped her a lot even the Vet was surprised. She was on Cephalexin and Fluconazole too. If you have some I would try that.

I havent personally ever dealt with mange but if I was going to try any of the ones listed I would try to the Neem oil, Lavender oil and Almond oil combo. Of course if you do that I would skip the coconut oil.

If you want to try something internally I would go for the licorice root. It works like prednisone but without the side effects. I gave it to Gouda daily.

BTW sorry that adopter backed out on Cameron. He's a handsome boy someone else I'm sure will step up!

#26 ·
I have never used the neem oil combo but I have heard from others it works so I cant say how oily he would be. I have used almond oil on my own skin and it is kind of messy it takes a bit to soak in. Maybe not put much on at a time?

I have only used Coconut oil all over the body on that one dog from the shelter. My personal experience was it soaked in rather fast but she had really dry cracked skin. I have used it topically on my cat and on Gouda and Kippah but just on certain spots that needed attention and it soaked right in. For him I would use it topically. He will lick the coconut oil off in certain spots Im sure and get some internally that way but its still ok to give orally too if you want just start out slowly maybe 1 teaspoon to start with and work your way up.

Maybe you could put it on him and put his coat on afterwards to kind of protect the furniture until its soaked in enough?

Im not sure about the stuff Kari is referring to and how often you could use it. I would guess it wouldnt hurt to use it every other day but in truth I would have to do more research or maybe Kari could answer that question. Maybe try her solution first since it isnt oily and see how that works for him before trying the others?

#29 ·
Do you have a GNC nearby? They carry almond oil or you could always order via amazon.com

Edited to add: If one wants to give an immune boosting herb I feel Astragalus is the best to give. You can even find that at GNC

#30 ·
I'll look around for a GNC and if not, definitely heading to amazon. I haven't looked around for it now that we've gotten it under control since there's still the slight chance she grows out of it. Right now the only thing she's dealing with is itching so I'm trying to get that calmed down. I'll look into the Astragalus, too! Thanks!

#31 ·
I just started Georgie on the astralagus over the weekend!! I am trying to avoid having to take Georgie to the vet for an injection or a dip. The vet wants to give her the dip for her puppy mites (dermadex). But I opted not to go with such a harsh treatment first. I tried a neem oil bath which made my whole bathroom stink (even today it lingers and I did it Sunday night). I just out some neem oil with her shampoo. I also want to try the lemon solution. I will need to scroll up and find out more about it.

The vet wants to give her a shot of iverctem (sp?!) tonight but I am going to pass on that, too. I just want to try something natural first before injecting her with something so chemical based!

I am hoping her immune system pops up with the astralagus and the mites will be kept at bay and killed off with my other he treatments.

It's all trial and error, but I'm trying... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.