Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Winston, my sweet angel

6K views 57 replies 38 participants last post by  Rocky53guy 
#1 ·
Almost three years ago we adopted my sweet angel Winston. He was thrown away. Can you believe no one wanted him anymore? He was a senior, starved to 38 lbs. We took him home and he was very well behaved, but very aloof. He would always sleep in the room we weren't in. He would let you pet him, but didn't seem to like the contact. We thought, well, he's no problem, we'll just stick it out. I can't remember when he started following me around the house. I can't recall exactly when he started sleeping on our bed and getting as close as he possibly could. I can't exactly recall when he began raiding our laundry basket when we weren't home and sleeping with some dirty clothes of ours...but he did. I just can't recall the exact moment that he became my little mama's boy, it just seems like it always was.

This morning we helped Winston cross the bridge when he could not longer stand and showed evidence of internal bleeding. I will forever love and miss you my sweet, sweet baby.

#29 ·
Oh Winnie ~ so sorry Molly, you made the hardest decision a pet parent has to make; it is a desicion made from the love you have for your boy. I was hoping he would have more time with you. Keep your memories close to your heart and know he loved you for taking him in when he was 'thrown away' Just like it took time for him to become a part of your pack it will take time to heal your pain. My condolences to your and your hubby. Winnie you were loved and will be missed. run free and watch over your Momma ~ she misses you :cry::kiss:

#32 ·
The type of thread that will always bring me to tears. :(
So hard to find the word to comfort you, but I can only hope that the love will carry you through it and know that you were the best thing on Winston's life.
It's just hard to let go of such special love, but we will all go through it sometime...

Go play at the bridge Winnie... all the other boxes are waiting for you! :)

#35 · (Edited)
I also know exactly what you're going through and how difficult it is. Every time I read a story like Winston's it reminds me so much of my Riley. I lost him a little over a year ago. In some ways it seems like a lifetime ago when I last hugged him, other ways it seems like just yesterday. One of the things that really helped me was just looking at his pictures and writing stuff down as I remembered them. Just keep your head up and take time to grieve. It's not easy, but with the time the pain will be replaced by all the good memories. :)

#37 ·
Okay...wanna know something sad.....the photo I posted earlier was Winnie's first Christmas with us...about 2 years ago. If you look under the tree, there is the light fixture in it's box that I bought for myself (hubby's gift was to put it up). It's still in the darn box. Wow, that's embarassing.

#38 ·
I wish I had the words that would comfort you and help you through your grief but at times like this, we can only take comfort in those that surround us with love and know we aren't alone. Bless you for giving Winnie the time you were able to.

I know exactly how you feel where giving the meds are concerned as I too recently experienced that only it was with my Gram. I gave her the morphine to ease her breathing and pain and felt like it pushed her to the other side faster. The only comfort I can offer you in this is that you did what you felt best for Winnie at the time.

#41 ·
My eyes welled with tears seeing his stone. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like Winston was a very special boy and he will live on in your heart forever. Take comfort in the fact that he left this world feeling and giving love. God bless you Winston and RIP.

#50 ·
I am so sorry for your loss! :( I read your words this morning.. I couldn't help but cry. Sounds to me that you have an angel looking out for you now... as you were his angel, the one who took him in and allowed him to trust and love. Please never second guess the measures you took to help him. You loved him and that is very clear.

R.I.P Sweet Winston

#51 ·
Sending you & Porter big hugs. I know what you mean. Getting ready for Christmas has been extremely hard for me this year. I bawled while putting up our tree as Maggie would come running over each year we put it up & as soon as the bottom row of branches was on she'd put her hind end under it to scratch. I didn't have that this year. Just as I composed myself from all that crying, I got ornaments out & then found hers. All of my fur babies have ornaments with their pictures on them. It has definitely been hard this year.

#53 ·
Sending you & Porter big hugs. I know what you mean. Getting ready for Christmas has been extremely hard for me this year. I bawled while putting up our tree as Maggie would come running over each year we put it up & as soon as the bottom row of branches was on she'd put her hind end under it to scratch. I didn't have that this year. Just as I composed myself from all that crying, I got ornaments out & then found hers. All of my fur babies have ornaments with their pictures on them. It has definitely been hard this year.
LOL. Have an image of Maggie giving her rear end a good scratch. Lots of hugs to you! I haven't even got my tree up yet. That is my mission for today after work. I am worried about Porter peeing on it or eating the ornaments. Speaking of which I, also, have ornaments with my dogs on it. I also ALWAYS pull out one of the ornaments that my Mo chewed on so many years ago. All bitten up and destroyed...but it goes on every year. He is at the bridge looking down with Winnie and Maggie.

Merry Christmas. We are truly blessed to have had such love in our lives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.