Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Vet says my Boxer is too heavy:(

6K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Mom2Jax&Bay 
#1 ·
My 3 year old male boxer Cochise weights 93.1 pounds (our 5 year old female boxer weighs 63 pounds). When I took Cochise to the vet, I was told that a boxer must never weigh more than 75 pounds. He also said that weighing more than 75 pounds is bad for Cochise' health.

When I look at Cochise, he looks to me to be a TANK. Solid and powerful (NOT FAT). I would hate to make him drop 20 pounds just to make the vet happy if it isn't really necessary. Does anyone else have a male boxer in this weight range? Is it really necessary to put Cochise on a diet?

[URL="
[/URL]

See less See more
#6 ·
If he still has a well defined bikini waist, he is not fat. If the bikini waist is gone, he's overweight and will suffer health problems bcause of it. We have to see the full view side picture to be able to tell.

My male Boxer weighs 85 lbs and is considered a large Boxer and is not overweight....

#7 ·
Either way,if you decide to go with a diet to slim him down,do it slowly

#8 ·
Our vet said the same thing about Kosmo, he is a big muscular boy as well. Our vet says to cut back on the feeding amount and we have but Kosmo still looks the same.
He gets plenty of exercise and is not over fed. I have never seen a dog of his size loft themselves into the air like they are weightless like he can either :)
On the other side, we have the opposite issue with our female Karma, she is a tiny girl and it is hard to keep weight on her - she eats like a lil piggy too!
Vet says she is at ideal weight though. My guess is they are just like people and built in different shapes and sizes...as long as they are active and healthy I am happy.

#11 ·
Look at those jowls! He even has wrinkles on top of his head! Oh, that dog is one lard-butt!

I'm kidding, kidding, kidding. That's a handsome Boxer, True Blue! I've got no expertise on this issue, but I note on the first of three pictures immediately above, you can see his ribs.

Do overweight dogs still show their bony ribs?

All this emphasis on weight and body image -- we're going to cause a syndrome in our canine companions if not careful. Eating disorder contagion. Watch out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.