Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Agression?? training

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  cadkids 
#1 ·
So Kona is developing quite an attitude as of late. So much so that he is now NOT allowed off leash any more.

We live in the mountains and our whole town is basically an off leash town ( even the tourists dont leash their dogs)

Kona has started charging up to people, chest puffed out and barking like mad ....not an aggressive bark...but a bark none the less.

he WILL NOT come back to me when called. Which is so upsetting because I thought we had a 100% reliable recall. Also, upsetting because he is obviously intimidating to whomever he is barking at.

When he starts barking and running towards the person he is sooooo focused I cannot break his concentration..even a whistle blast will not make his ear twitch.

I started training with a very long leash. I say "Kona come" tug the leash and he trots back every time. When there is a distraction, I have to basically reel him back to me and he never breaks concentration on what he is looking at.

I have an e collar but afraid to use it..... Have tried to find a trainer but none within a two hour drive

Any suggestions advice???

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Recalls should always end with a " jackpot reward" How old is Kona? When you nudge the leash he isn't making the decision to return on his own, he is just reminded you can pull him back in! Unfortunately, every time he reaches his target he is being "rewarded" so you need to make it more rewarding to return to you! If that makes sense lol. Make sure when you are working on recall and/or out on a walk (still leashed of course) that every time he comes back when called he gets "jackpot" if you have to pull him back in then NO reward! He will figure it out! I remind all of my clients that they can have set backs. When that happens return to the basics. They are so smart!! and he will figure it out. Its better to take the time for him to figure it out. Stay positive and consistent he should get it! It takes time of course. :) hope this helps a little.

#3 ·
Thank u for your reply.
Kona just turned 2 on christmas day.

His problem is that he couldn't care less about his treats. I have tried cheese, hot dog, steak. When there are no distractions...he will happily come back..with distractions..NOPE.
These treats I ONLY give for recall and use no other time.

I watched a video called 100% reliable recall..it was working wonderfully!!! one day it just didnt work out of the blue...now its gone!

#5 ·
Has anything happened that you can think of that may have made him nervous or fearful?? Anyone teasing him maybe? Sometimes it can be something minor to us.. an example .. A friends dog and her went out last summer,.. a man across the street was being loud and yelling at his dog.. my friends dog stopped and watched and my friend yelled over in hope of stopping the man. Ever since that day Fraz wont go near ANY man! We have done some work with him and now he is MUCH better but not 100% Sometimes things happen to cause the reaction. Its just sometimes we aren't aware.

#7 ·
I agree with breezygirl. So if he doesn't like food then you need to find out what he does like. Rosco is simple...fajita chicken...In a new environment or when working on something tricky. If I use cheese or something then no. Some dogs prefer toys. Some prefer praise and attention. Just find out what he finds rewarding

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#10 ·
actually...i sorta did sort things out but i had to make some BIG changes.
No more on the furniture, no more in the bed for snuggles, NILIF method for Everything.
I also started feeding him a little less and incorporated a "jackpot" treat into training...
Constant consistency in training...

He is now WAY better and listening quite well

#9 ·
Jackpot treats at my house are dried liver, apple slices, and cheese in a can ( I know not good for anyone really but they love the stuff so it works ) try to find the things they do not get and adore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.