Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

FISH- Raw Diet Questions.

4K views 44 replies 11 participants last post by  SpoiledPups 
#1 ·
Happy New Years everyone.

Buddha and Boss are doing amazingly with their raw diets. We have introduced lots of new stuff and have had no problems what so ever. Beef hears, pork hearts, liver, kidney, other organs, goat, beef, lamb, chicken.. they are in heaven!
I want to start introducing fish now. I know that fish has to be frozen prior to feeding but for how long? Also which are the best types to feed.. I am definitely going to get them salmon, but what else is good.
Also what about canned fish- like sardines and tuna (NOT in oil of course). Are these ok for them or not?
How many times per week should they be eating fish? (They get fed 2 meals a day).
Finally, I was about to start them on fish oil supplements, is this still necessary if they are eating raw fish? Is it possible for dogs to have too much fish oil?

Thanks everyone!

#2 ·
I'm not sure exactly how long you should freeze it but it has to be long enough for it to kill any parasites, etc. I think trout is supposed to be a good one as well to feed, but again, I'm not the expert on this one :)

Bosley loves sardines! He gets them as a treat 2-3 times a month on his kibble. I actually get the ones in the soya oil. It's the only kind he'll eat and he LOVES them! :)

#3 ·
Jack loves his fish! I buy ground whole salmon. It's the only ground product we feed, and I buy it because it's way cheaper than any whole salmon I've found. He gets a bit of salmon added to almost every meal. I have fed meals of just salmon in the past, but I think he likes variety so now I feed a few different things at each meal. This morning he ate pork ribs, beef liver, and a few large spoonfulls of salmon, as well as coconut oil, salmon oil capsules, and vitamin E capsules. I stopped feeding the fish oil supplement when I found the raw salmon, but I noticed that when winter arrived his coat wasn't looking very shiny and he had dry skin, so I decided to feed them to him as well as the raw salmon. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone knows how much fish oil is too much. I've never fed canned tuna or salmon, it would be too expensive, but I did give him sardines from a can once and he loved those. I think I recall hearing Mackerel is a good oily fish to feed, but I've never tried it.

#4 ·
I feed my girls sardines and smelts. I found them frozen for a good price and way cheaper than in a can. I think any oily kinda fish is good to feed. I would avoid canned as much as possible but if you do have to, buy the stuff in water.

I give omega 3 and vitamin e along with feeding fish about every other day.

I'm interested to know if its too much.

I have found that they are getting a bit dryer than normal on their skins because i can see a bit of dander on them. But that was a cpl weeks ago before i gave the omega 3 and vit. e. it has since improved, so it looks like enough for my girls.

Hopefully Kari (2manydogs) will see this and have an input as she's a good source of information.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#6 ·
Do you feed omega 3's and vit. E everyday tho? just the fish every other day? If so how much do you give?

I have been noticing the same with both my guys.. they are getting dry. But I wasn't sure how much or how often to give them fish?

#7 ·
I give the omega 3 and vit e with their first meal every day for the last couple weeks since starting. I feed fish every other day. Usually 2oz but it will be in their dinner and they still get the pills in morning. I leave the pills whole and either make a cpl meat balls or i will hide them in a chunk of meat. It seems to be helping with the dander. I've had no digestive issues at all.

#11 ·
I feed my girls their omega 3 pills in a gel capsule. They just eat it. The benefit of having more than one dog.... They see the other has it so they are not giving it up. The first time they got it they both spat it out and watched the other then quickly ate theirs so they could check out what each other had lol. Now Nikki eats it and Hailey still isn't quite sure.. But she still eats it so Nikki doesn't get it. Lol

#12 ·
We feed Mackeral, Herring and Sardines, all whole.

Freezing meat can help kill many parasites (such as the parasite present in salmon that CAN cause a deadly disease in dogs; freezing fresh raw salmon, steelhead, trout, and other salmonids for at least 24 hours before feeding effectively disposes of the parasite. Cooked salmon does not carry the parasite.). As long as one exercises caution in obtaining their meat, parasites are a non-issue. If feeding fresh salmonids or wild game, it is recommended that the meat be deep frozen for at least 24 hours before feeding for salmonids and one month for wild game.

As for canned, I typically dont feed it. However it is the only fish I can get Raven to eat. Sardines in Soya Oil of all things. I prefer fresh or frozen whole fish. On the days that I feed fish, I skip my Salmon supplement and only give it on non fish days. You can feed fish up to 3 times a week if you want. I usually dont feed it in the winter and only offer it spring through fall.

#13 · (Edited)
Dogs require both Omega 6 and Omega 3's. The Omega 6 to 3 ratio is usually anything between 10:1 and 5:1.

Omega-6 fats are primarily found in plant oils such as flaxseed, hemp, and pumpkin seeds. It can even be found in Coconut Oil. If your pet is deficient in omega-6 fats, supplementation will benefit the skin, coat and nails, and can also help alleviate skin allergies.

The omega-6 fats also play a major role in the health of your dogs skin and coat. A deficiency can result in dry, flaky skin and a dull, brittle coat which leads to hair breakage and loss. In this compromised condition, your dogs skin can become prone to bacterial infections and itchiness.

Your dog might also develop a condition known as hyperkeratosis (thickened skin).

#14 ·
Thank you so much for everyones replies. We live on an island so have lots of options available- i just want to make sure I am giving them the best. We are planning a trip to the local fish market today to see what we can get our 'paws' on.

Another thought, when feeding salmon then, would anyone recommend lightly cooking it? If cooking kills the parasites, or does this defeat the purpose of feeding RAW?

#15 ·
Kari... Should I also buy some flaxseed oil and offer that as well? Should it be virgin or what exactly am I looking for in that regards?

I've been researching more into coconut oil and the benefits of that. I'll be picking some up this week. If I start with the coconut oil is it necessary to also give the flaxseed oil as you said coconut oil has omega 6's?

Or, Should I buy the Omgea 3-6-9 and offer them daily with the vitamin e?

My girls are now completely transitioned and are doing well. I want to make sure I give them the proper suppliments. I know some say you don't need to if you have a well balanced diet, which I offer, but I would feel more at ease with suppliments added as well.

Basically, what would you recommend for suppliments in their diet? (Sorry to highjack your thread BuddahBoss.)

#16 · (Edited)
Coconut oil has some Omega 6's in it, its approx 1.8grams of Omega 6 per 100grams fed. It has no Omega 3's.

You could add in Peanut oil as its 32grams per 100grams and contains no Omega 3's.

Personally I add in Oliver Oil a few days per week (1 tablespoon). It has 9.8 grams of Omega 6 per 100grams. I also feed quite a bit of green tripe, not only does it have a perfect calcium to phosphur ratio, it has natural probiotics, digestive enzymes and Omega3-6.

I supplement my dogs. Not a lot but a bit. They get Salmon Oil Capsules and Vitamin E 4 days a week (2000mg of salmon oil and 400UI of vitamin E) and Olive Oil the remaining 3 days per week.

**Just to add, Flaxseed has 12.7grams of Omega 6 but it is also high in Omega 3's.

#19 ·
We just got back from the fish market and picked up frozen sardines - 1kg for $2.5 (2.2lbs for $2.50)- i thought that was incredibly cheap. We also picked up another whole fish (which I am not sure the name of in english). As well as salmon and tuna. Am I correct in thinking that these can be eaten completely whole?

As for supplements, they are already having coconut oil daily. I also have flax seed- should they be taking this as well or should I alternate the days? I am also going to pick up some vitamin E supplements- which will be given daily.

As for the salmon/fish oil (this should be given to them on the days that they are not having fish) and then olive oil on the days they are are eating fish-- is this correct?

It is amazing how much thought we put into our dogs meals! I wish I did the same for my self! ha.

As for olive oil- is extra virgin ok?

GREAT INFO!! Happy Sunday!

#20 ·
I feed fresh salmon, whole mackerel, ground mackerel, frozen fresh smelts. I think fresh is better so I would opt to stay away from canned stuff personally. Fresh caught fish I would freeze for at least 30 days.

#21 ·
So I'm getting ready to start offering Cooper sardines and I'm a little concerned about the bones in the fish. I know that sounds strange considering I feed other raw meat with bones, but for some reason the fish bones have me worried.
Has anyone ever had any problems feeding raw sardines to their pups?

#24 ·
Winter (4 months) and my bigger dogs love them!!! Although Winter seems to prefer them cut up and we haven't had any problems. To be honest my guys eat fish A LOT they all love it! I personally wouldn't worry :)

#26 ·
Had to know!! After ZIGGY ate his dinner, I couldn't hold back curiosity, I pulled a sardine out of the freezer, threw it in his bowl and crossed my fingers:) I didn't want to have to eat 10lbs of sardines!!

He sniffed, licked, and "yes" ladies I must admit "YOU WERE RIGHT"! OK, no more doubts....Whatever you feed (except pork) I'm feeding!! I know, I should "listen more" :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#31 ·
Green tripe is a big one in my house right now! lol... they go crazy for it! My husband thinks its way too funny! ... We got fresh green tripe a few times now... and this time we went outside to cut it and the dogs were doing everything trying to get his attention lol... its stinks .... but it's so good for them that we just put up with it. Breezy did get some stinky gas the first few times she had it... but then she was fine. I would suggest starting with small pieces!! I feed it in their meals 3 to 4 times a week.

If you are getting it fresh and cutting it yourself have a good knife ready!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.