Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Ideation for white boxer owners

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  rebeccaleigh423 
#1 ·
My Winnie had much softer fur than any of my fawns. Are yours the same? Or was Winnie just exceptionally soft. I've started to look for a white pup. None of the breeders I have found have any litters. I've asked that they contact me if there is a white female. I don't know if this is how they generalllly operate. Several had a waiting list for a litter but I specifically want a white. If their litters have no whites am I obligated to take a pup. I am getting some tepid responses. I won't go to a breeder that is breeding white adults because I think that is a warning sign that they arnt reputable. How did you all find your white babies?

#3 ·
I've never had a white boxer before, but if you can find an unborn litter where both parents are flashy, chances are pretty good they're going to produce whites. If one of the parents is genetically plain, it's not possible for whites to be produced. That's how I understand it anyway. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think if you tell the breeder (if they're involved in conformation) specifically what you're looking for they should be willing to work with you especially since white puppies can't be used for showing anyway so it's unlikely they'd be wanting to keep a white puppy for their own purposes. You could always ask for something in writing from them stating you're not obligated to buy a puppy unless it's a white.

As for the softness, one of my coworkers has a white female and her fur is pretty course, not very soft. I think she's on a lower grade kibble so that may be why. I'm not sure what you're feeding your boxers, but maybe that comes into play? I can tell you that Logan and Abby who are both raw fed have very soft fur. We're still hesitant to switch Mason over because of his age and because he's doing well on kibble and his fur isn't as soft as the other two.

Good luck! I'm "friends" with a lot of breeders on Facebook so if I hear or see anything I'll let you know. :)

#5 ·
Molly
When I was looking for my new pup I was also looking for a white baby. I did contact a few breeders about my wants. Most were very accommodating and did let me know if they had a white baby in their litters. It was a very hard choice, there were three different pups to pick from and two different breeders. So have fun looking for your new fur baby and hopefully you find a breeder that will accommodate you.

#6 ·
As for the softness Kippah is my first white and I think her coat is soft yes but not as soft as Goudas. Nicole at the shelter used to say about Gouda "Has she been eating rabbits again?" The first time she said that I was aghast! She said NO NO I mean her fur is as soft as a rabbit! lol Many people said that Gouda had the softest fur they ever saw on a Boxer. I guess it just depends on the dog.

#8 ·
Duke's fur is incredibly soft! I don't know if colour has much to do with it...

As for finding a white pup - would you be willing to rescue again? I think you did a wonderful thing for Winnie and even though he wasn't with you for long, you have to admit he was very special :)

#9 ·
Yes, Winnie was very special. I would consider a rescue, but I have a couple of issues that will most likely prevent my approval....Porter's testicles. LOL. Hubby is dead set against neutering. We certainly don't plan on breeding him, and I can go either way with it, but hubby is against it and the vet we like (hollistic guy) told us there is no health benefit and every surgery has risks and if there is no aggression issues, he doesn't see the point).

Also, I applied for a rescue last year when Winnie was healthy and doing well. They checked all my references and did a home check. They came over with 3 different dogs to temperment test Winnie. Obviously he passed with flying colors and we were approved on the basis of our references..yard...etc. Then came the problems. We had originally wanted to meet a 3 year old white boy. Once we were approved they said that he was no longer available, yet he was still listed on their site for weeks afterward. They said "we would like you to consider Odie". I checked him out. Nice 4 year old male, flashy fawn. We said sure, love to meet him. Before they could set it up...he was no longer for adoption (not adopted mind you, just not available). Odie and the white boxer remained on their site as "available" while we were told they were not. So....then they would call and want us to meet this senior, or that senior...they were all 8 or older. I told them that I would take up to 5 years of age, but that I had a senior and I was not going to set myself up for losing 2 dogs close together. Anyway....I became really frustrated and got a puppy. So...that's my story.

#10 ·
Gracie is known around here as The Velveteen Boxer. She is so soft. I wasn't even looking for a pup, but she came to me in an email because she looked like our white girl, Sugar. As soon as I saw her, I knew I had to have her. She was all the way in New Mexico and I was one of many applicants for her. Somehow, she came to me despite being many miles away & competing with many others who wanted her. She was meant to be my baby and she helped me through a tough time in life.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, Molly. I see some posted on my FB news feed at times. Some are out your way. You might have to fight Marki & Trina for her though..lol

#12 ·
Mongo's hair is actually a little courser than Maggie's is.

Mandy is correct - 2 flashy parents can produce white puppies - the generalized statistic is that 2 flashy parents will have 25 percent white puppies.

We were not looking for a white boxer when we got Mongo. We were looking for a brindle and had put a deposit on a brindle male. Long story short - we ended up with Mongo and wouldn't trade him for the world. :)
I think it was fate.

:)

#14 ·
I've never had a boxer before Ellie. I never really even knew much about the breed. But we got her purely out of luck. We weren't even looking for another dog. My mother in law said she worked with somebody who had a friend getting rid of boxer puppies for free. They had 2 boxers who were not fixed and thought nothing would happen. So my husband asked me, I said of course. I'd adopt every animal if I could. And at first my husband had said he wanted a male. Then said he'd rather have a female. And it turns out the female was white.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.