Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Transitioning from Outside to Inside

5K views 61 replies 19 participants last post by  Momma of Brandy & Max 
#1 · (Edited)
Don't be discouraged because it's long!!! I need advice. My male boxer, Bobo, is two years old. I'm 16, and plan on getting an apartment or something of my own between the ages of 18 and 21. So by this time he'd be at least 4 years old. Almost all of his life he has been an outside dog, but his first year he was an inside dog. My mom remarried this year and my stepdad says we're not allowed to have pets in the house because of fleas and dirt. When I move out, though, I hope to take him with me, and keep him as an inside dog. Would this transition be hard on him? We have other dogs, two female labs,(who would no be coming with us) and they are part his pack as of this past summer, but I think he sees me as a dominant part of that pack, because I'm out there so much after school with them and he is quite submissive to me when he understands what I'm demanding. Would the separation from the other dogs be difficult, or would I be enough for him for it to be easy? I don't want to put unnecessary stress on him, especially if it will cause unwanted behavior. What about the space? He's used to going out of his shed-sized pen and running around as much as he wants, jumping and playing all over the place. Would he feel crowded in an apartment? I would walk him every day whenever he needed to expend some energy. I love this dog like he's my best friend in the whole world and I want what's best for him. Would it be better to let him stay with my parents, even though boxers are meant to be inside dogs? I'm not saying he's not happy as an outside dog, I just know boxers are meant to stay inside year-round. He is always so excited every time he sees me. I know this dog loves me just as much as I love him, if not more. I think he would love to be around me more, but I wonder what's best for him. I know it sounds like I don't even deserve to be a dog owner, what with all of these questions, but I'm asking them so that I can become a capable dog owner...
I know he needs to be inside. I know he is meant to be an inside dog, but I can't exactly demand that my stepdad let him inside all of the time. That is not my place as a child. If I could, I would let him inside when he was at work (even though that's wrong...) but he is trained with an underground electric fence and shock collar to stay inside a perimeter, which does not involve any entry to the house... None of this was my idea... I swear. I hate the fence. I hate that he's outside. I hate that I have to take off his collar and drag him over the line just to walk him every day. Although he's getting used to the idea that he can cross the fence as long as his leash is on, he still fights me about the fence... I do not want this for him, which is why I want to take him with me. It is cold in Illinois in the winter and hot in the summer and boxers are not made for that kind of weather... Idk what I should do. If it were up to me he would have never become an outside dog in the first place... but I had no say. So... please give me advice on what would be best for him, because I think someone with more experience than me should assess the situation.

See less See more
#30 · (Edited)
Her response was... well. She basically laughed and said that I was being ridiculous. She said that he's fine out there and she won't let him inside because he's "too old to be house trained now"... Dogs can be house trained at any age. It just gets more difficult as they age. He's still fairly young though, so I thought that argument was invalid...

#33 ·
Bobo is a very handsome boy! You are very brave to do what you are doing for him and considering his best interest at heart. It is very selfless and I commend you for that, I cannot imagine how hard it must be for you to have to make the decision. You did all you can and your act of selflessness shows just how deeply you love him. Stay strong for Bobo and know that he will end up in a home that will love and care for him and pray that they love him as much as you love him. How can they not?!?!

#37 ·
Hello all! I just got another idea... that might not only allow Bobo to stay with me and be an inside dog, but also have other dogs and a loving family. I have been thinking about moving to Utah to live with my dad for years. They do not believe in outside dogs and believe that dogs are truly additions to the family, like kids. I love my family in Utah just as much in my family in Illinois, and I do not have many ties here that I would be giving up. As long as Boxers can stand to be in 90ish degree weather for a long enough time for a walk, and then immediately cool off in freezing cold air conditioning inside (they do keep it cool in the house in the summer), and be able to go for walks when there's snow on the ground (they keep it warm in the winter), I think this could work. My family in Utah has been begging me to move in for ages, and I've wanted to, I just never got that extra push. There are actually many job opportunities for teenagers there that would allow me to work short hours and pay for everything Bobo needs and still be able to save a little on the side for myself. I can't believe I didn't think of it before. I wouldn't be moving just because of Bobo, I'd be moving for us both. I actually have a tragic past, to be quite honest. My mom has an ex husband... let's just say he gets out of jail this summer and leave it at that. I want to get away from that as well. A lot of people know about it. It's not a large town. Everyone knows everything. It does get uncomfortable when people ask me about it. And they do ask. I have people at school here who hate me for trivial things such as not doing their homework for them, and they punish me for it daily. So, really, you can see already why I might move. I'm telling you all of this stuff so that you know more about the situation at hand so you can really decide if it's for the best or not. In Utah I would be living with my dad, who travels a lot for work, but is still around, my stepmom, who loves having me around to talk to. We get along well. My stepsister, who is obsessed with me. Every time I leave my dad tells me that when they head out close to the airport, she asks if they're going to pick me up. My stepbrother, he's 14, and is a bit of a problem child. He's not very kind to his sister sometimes, everyone agrees on that, even him, and he never does anything without asking why or complaining. I... am the opposite of that. I do everything without even needing to be asked. (Honest, lol, not just bragging) I think he could use an example. And my stepmom's cousin, who just moved in January 5th. I would try and wait until summer to move in... Bobo would have a Husky brother and a Boston Terrier brother. The Boston is old, but as I said, the Husky is fairly young and very playful with other dogs, just like Bobo is. By summer I assume the Husky will be big enough to hold his own with Bobo in a play fight, so that should be fun for both of them, right? Oh!!! And my stepmom is a stay-at-home, meaning she watches the dogs. So she could help me house train him. I would love your opinions here, very much.

#39 ·
Sounds like a great idea. I love Utah! One of my favorite vacation destinations. Lots of snowboarding and skiing. I believe they also have good colleges as well I am told. I don't know how well boxers do in the cold but I'm sure that if you eat him a jacket for when y'all go outside he will be fine. Glad you don't have to take him to a shelter, that would be heartbreaking. :( sorry you have to go through this, but you're doing a great job looking at all your options. Just go with your gut feeling and do what you think is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#42 ·
My dad has agreed to let me AND Bobo into his home. This is a great day. <3 Not only do I get to live with my dad but I get to take the love of my life with me. No more shock collars for him. No more being left alone for days at a time with nothing but other dogs as company for him. No more constant cold or constant hot for him. Nope. If my mom agrees to let me move out there, I will move out there this summer. That's the earliest I can go. If she refuses to let me go... well I'm sixteen. I'll be going anyway... which sounds terrible... but I've decided it's what I want to do. Honestly, I've wanted to live with my dad for years. So Bobo will have the forever home he was supposed to have in me after all. ^_^

#43 ·
As for my college, that was such a concern in the first few pages of this thread. There are many great college opportunities in the Salt Lake City area. There are also many job opportunities for the field of work I hope to do once I get my degree over there. I was actually going to move there for work anyway once I got my degree.

#46 ·
i dont care what anyone says you are far more brave and grown up for your age. you gave us a little history of yourself and maybe this would be a good change for you to really start moving on with your life and get away from some bad. I give you alot of props on making such a big step in your young life. Very happy for you and bobo. Best of luck and keep posting.

as for the hot and colds, boxers dont do the greatest with but short walks when it is hot and get him a coat for when its cold maybe even the paw things for his feet. He will love it out in utah with his new friends and be able to stay with his mom.

#47 ·
OH thats great news!!! I hope your mom is understanding! I would expect a little bit of hesitance from her for sure! . (as a mom I think its normal) lol. However, It sounds like you have done your research and have a great plan! Good luck with it! Please keep posting! :clap2:

#49 ·
OH WOW!! What an admirable person you are. You have been thru alot it seems and now you should be on a new path with your best friend. I wish you the best of luck! Keep us updated as to how everything goes for you and Bobo.

#52 ·
I still need to talk to my mom about it, but my dad and I decided that it's going to happen whether she wants to let go or not, because the decision is up to me now that I'm sixteen and this is really what I think is best for me. I think once she cools off she'll realize this is best, but until she cools down she's going to be very angry and overload me with guilt trips... Lol. I'm ready for it though. I think the hardest thing for her is going to be stepping back and looking at what's best for me instead of just how she feels about it.

#54 ·
Reading this for the first time and in the beginning I felt sadness and anger (towards your mom and stepfather)....it would be a cold day in he*l I ever married anybody who believed dogs are outside only animals....and also cold day in he*l I'd choose his wishes over my daughters! Ok, rant over...

now that I am at the end of this thread, I am filled with happiness! I can see with the way you write that you care very much about Bobo, and I have to say....I applaud you! Most teenages wouldn't be thinking this way!

#55 ·
I talked to my mom this morning. She said that she doesn't think I'll go through with it, but it's up to me. She said to really think hard about it, which I've done. I'm not sure if she thinks I'm going to go through with it, but I am, and she's going to discover that sooner or later. So, I'm going to Utah with my Bobo this summer. Yay. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.