Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

She's OK, but Georgie got attacked by another dog today... :(

4K views 52 replies 29 participants last post by  GeorgieGirl 
#1 ·
I am still in shock... Georgie is OK, but she's pretty banged up!! I took a half day and got home about 1:45 to my neighbor on my stoop telling me that her and Georgie were attacked! UGH... they are both ok, but I am still so upset... They were taking a walk around the corner and another dog came running down the street and attacked Georgie... SO SAD, but Georgie thought she was playing and started to "box" and play... And the dog bit her neck and poor Georgie started crying. Thankfully my neighbor and some other neighbors tried to get the dog off Georgie... It took a very big struggle and the dog kept going at Georgie... My neighbor had to hit the dog over the head/back with a golf club and it still didn't let go of Georgie's neck!! Finally, another neighbor was able to,distract the dog and Georgie went in another neighbors yard for protection... Meanwhile the attack dog sat on the corner and stared at the house!!

LOOOONG STORY SHORT. Georgie is OK. she has several wounds on her legs, her face and groin area... The one the vet is concerned about is the big wound on the back of her neck!!! Its Deep, but her heart and lungs were ok at the visit today! They shaved her in some spots and cleaned her up, but I need to take her back tomorrow to check up! They gave her a painkiller shot and antibiotic and painkillers for the next week. She seems ok and is excited when some one comes to visit, but I can tell she's in a little bit of pain. The vet said not to give her the painkiller meds before midnight, so I am trying to stay up to give it to her... I don't want her to be in pain throughout the night.

She has raw, open wounds all over and her leg looks swollen now (this wasn't the case not when we were at the vet). I know she will be ok, but I am so sad this happened... And the other part, is my neighbor got BIT while trying to save Georgie from this dog. She is also ok, but will lose her fingernail since it was cracked... She didn't need stitches (neither did Georgie), but she's in a lot of pain on her hand...

Ok, I'm sorry for,rambling on... I'm just so upset that Georgie was attacked. She's such a sweet, playful (sometime overly playful-lol) puppy and she thought this dog was playing with her... But, instead she got attacked and was bleeding and has cuts and bumps all over her now... :(

She's 60 pounds, but still a puppy at almost 11 months!!! My poor baby girl!! Thankfully she's been resting most of the day but when she's up she tries to be her same old playful self!!! Which makes me happy, but it's so hard to see her uncomfortable... :(

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
OMG. poor baby! Do you know who owns the dig that attacked? My mo was attacked by a pit once. My husband actually had both of the pits back legs in this hands and he was still holding on. That was when I started licking him. Mo was ok with some puncture wounds but it was traumatic for all of us. Your neighbor was brave to get in there for it baby! Just FYI after that incident I never walked my dog without pepper spray I also carried a hammer for a while. You should identify that neighbor and make him aware of what allowing his dog to roam without a leash resulted in. I would also present him with your vet bills.

#4 ·
OMG, I hope your neighbor and Georgie are ok. What a terrifying situation to be in. Glad some other neighbors jumped in to help.
What happened to the dog that attacked? Is it still running around loose?
Hope the police and animal control were called. The owner of that dog should be responsible for the medical and vet bills.

#5 ·
I laughed when I read the part about "licking"... I figured you meant kicking!!

Thanks for all the concern!! The other dog was a pit bull... Or pit bull mix. There was no owner in sight and the dog didn't have a collar or anything! One of the neighbors called the police and K-9 unit... So the incident was reported. The dog was also found one block away from me (close to where the dog attacked Georgie and my neighbor, Gail!). But nobody at the "scene" had ever seen the dog before. They took the dog and will let us know what they find out!

I have pepper spray and never take it with me (same with Gail) but I think I will now! I hate that it has come to that! But there is no way to avoid or control over a loose dog!!

Georgie seems a little swollen in some spots this morning and she's walking with some favor to one leg. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, except for the slight limp (she's not whining or anything)....

Ugh! What an ordeal!! I'm sorry you had to go through it too, Winnie...

I hope this dogs owner is located!

#6 ·
i hope that all involved are and will be ok, i am so sorry to hear this.

i have had a total of 3 attacks to my babies. Rusty has been attacked twice, once in the hip by a gsd and once in the throat by a mastiff mix and he has had a total of 8 staples to close those wounds. Dually has been attacked once in the side of her neck and we are so thankful she has extra chunk there or it woul dhave been much worse. all 3 times were out of no where. it is scary, i know what youre going through. give her lots of cuddles and love

#7 ·
Oh my gosh! I'm glad that Georgie and your neighbor are okay and they got the dog! I hope Georgie feels better soon. :(

I understand about Georgie not understanding and trying to play. Gabby got attacked once - at a dog park. The other dog had her on the ground biting her on the neck. She just laid there like " ok guess I'm supposed to stay here." She didn't try to fight back or anything. Luckily we were able to get the dog off easily. I'm so glad that your neighbor continued to help Georgie even with sustaining injuries!

#13 ·
((((Healing vibes)))) to Georgie and a speedy recovery to all that were involved. Gosh, this is my fear when I walk my fur babies, they are so playful. I think I will look into pepper spray now. It is unfortunate that there are irresponsible dog owners out there.

#14 ·
omg - so sorry to hear about Georgie being attacked - I do hope she heals quickly and your neighbour too - kisses and hugs to both. Just 2 nights ago hubby and I were taking the boys out of our car after our training and just as I had Titan walking with me to our front door; we heard a woman's voice calling her dog and I looked in that direction and there was her dog running full force towards us. Well I just b-lined up the front steps with Titan in tow and ran in the door . Titan is leash aggressive and we are working on this but to have a dog on the attack was just too much for me to 'manage'. I do hope Georgie won't have any reactions to her next meeting of new/strange dogs- perhaps when she is healed and up to it, it would be a good idea to take her to dogs she knows kind of thing - just to reinforce the positive. I do hope the owner is found of the attacking dog and perhaps the costs will be recovered for your vet bills

#19 ·
Horrific!

This is simply horrific. How is she doing now? Is she still in pain? I imagine the doctors are keeping a close watch on her. I would bet you could not sleep last night for fear of your poor puppy. 11 months old? She has not even been around long enough to truly understand there are mean dogs out there. Just a sweet baby!

I know so little about dog attacks. I wonder what happens to such a young puppy after an attack like this. Do they become fearful around other dogs? Do they become aggressive themselves or maybe super shy of others? I think it is perfectly normal that she tried to box and play. All dogs do this. It is a shame this other dog lost control and even far worse that the owner allowed this.

Does this dog live near you? What are the chances this dog will come after Georgie again?

Thinking of her and hoping she heals quickly both physically and emotionally from this horrific trama.

#20 ·
I certainly hope animal control was called and got the dog off the street. So sorry for Geargies attack and your neigbor too. Jaxon still has panic attacks at times from when he got attacked at 9 months old.

#21 ·
Loose dogs scare the crap out of me! Seriously, it's my worst fear when I am out with the dogs AND by myself! Doesn't help Reeko is leash reactive sometimes so that makes it even worse.

I am so glad Georgie is going to be ok! And your neighbor.

#22 ·
I was riding Baylee on her tow leash on the bike yesterday when I heard a very low bark at a home that doesn't have any dogs. Looked up and there is this HUGE Weimeraner(sp) and he was loose. He looked to be a puppy but I was nervous. Baylee is very protective and she was aving a hard time riding past this dog. I yelled...*leave it!!!* and the dog stopped. it was funny. But we got by with no further problems.

#25 ·
Just seen the results of a dog attack today... Sorry you and your neighbour had to go though that!
I am glad her injuries were mostly superficial. I think I have to look into getting some pepper spray or something I do a lot of walking Sally on my own in the morning or evening, and Sally would SO expect a dog coming up to want to play. and she is getting big enough that I can struggle to stop her if she REALLY wants to go somewhere.

I hope Georgie has no lasting injuries physical or psychological.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.