Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Abbott... Our little girl went to soon.

3K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  Knucklehead 
#1 ·
2 and 1/2 years ago we picked out the runt of the litter boxer puppy and named her Abbott. The first night we had her we let her sleep with us. (assuring each other that this was a one time thing) That little girl didnt miss a night of cuddling my wife and I to sleep every single day for her short life. That just attests to the type of dog she was. So sweet and well mannered. Full of love. A maniac in the park. And most importantly a best friend.

Our little Abbott fell asleep for the last time last night and has moved on. Who would have thought this experience would be so hard and difficult. Always thoughts of what if's. Our relationship with Abbott was perfect. We made each other happy. No matter what. She didn't live in a cage in my back yard. she lived in our home and roamed freely. She truly was a perfect little daughter for us. Of course you good people on this form are the only ones that could really understand that. Thats why I appreciate the opportunity to share my feelings about Abbott.

Abbott caught some form of an infection in her lung. It might have but not likely could of been a tumor. She was being medicated, but with the second rounds of medications she stopped eating and tried to drink water but couldn't keep it down. Her breath became deeper and more rapid day to day. It got to the point that we were just watching our little girl suffer. I called my wife (who is currently on a business trip) with little Abbott rolled up in a blanket at my feet looking up at me with her big brown eyes. I asked my wife to consider putting Abbott to sleep for the last time. It was a difficult conversation and not something to take lightly. We decided if there wasnt any improvement today we would make an appointment.

With the last strength she had she walked to the bathroom, turned and looked at me for a second and then went and layed in her favorite spot on the mat in the bathroom. About a half hour later, she took 3 deep breaths quickly and then became silent. She was a blessing, she was eveything I've ever wanted. I will always love and never forget my little Booger head Abbott doggy.

See less See more
#9 ·
Heart wrenching.
Simply heart wrenching! I only can tell you that your love for her will never in a million years be forgotten. I truly understand the sweet never ending, unconditional, secure, warm, kind and pure love that Abbot had for you. And no doubt you had for her. Reading about her beautiful life and the love you shared brings tears to my eyes. I will be thinking of you and your wife and hoping these days ahead are filled with beautiful memories to sooth the deep wounds of pain you feel every time you think of your beloved Abbot. May this poem bring you comfort.

In my good death, I will find myself
waist deep in high summer grass...
The humming shock of golden life,
and I will hear them before I see them
and know right away
who is bounding across the field to meet me...
All my dogs will come then,
their wet noses bumping against my palms,
their hot, faithful tongues,
their eyes so young and shiny again...
The wiry scruff of their fur,
the unspeakeable softness of their bellies,
their velvet ears against my cheeks.
I will bend to them, my face covered with their kisses
my hands full of them...
In the grass, I will let them knock me down.

-Dalia Sheven

#11 ·
So sorry for the loss of your sweet, young girl. I was crying reading this. I could only imagine her looking back at you as she went to the bathroom, its as if she was telling you that it was time. I am so sorry....may you find healing in the days to come.

#21 ·
My heart is aching for you and your wife, I am so deeply sorry for the loss of your sweet and precious baby girl. RIP Abbott, and run pain-free at the rainbow bridge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.