ATE a dryer sheet!!!! - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Go Back   Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums > Keep Your Dog Healthy > Health concerns

BoxerForums.com is the premier Boxer Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Power User
 
flyinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 412
Default ATE a dryer sheet!!!!

Ughhhhhhhhh, so Bruno ATE a dryer sheet tonight (used one, Bounce, some flavor don't know which offhand it's downstairs). Any idea if this is a really serious concern? I'm of course calling the vet in the AM, though he has seemed fine for the last 4 1/2 hours since he did it. Have read various things online whether it's that bad or not so I don't really know. It happened so fast. He grabbed it from the laundry basket (I was across the room) and withing a 30 second chase around the room he stopped and just gulped and it was gone and I couldn't get him to toss it up. 99.9% sure he actually swallowed it since I have found nothing on the floor.
__________________
flyinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Roccosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 4,010
Default

I am not really sure if is an emergency situation. Dryer sheets are coated with wax - that is what softens the clothes - so I don't think we are looking at any toxicity. I would be more concerned with an obstruction of some kind. I would watch him for any signs of distress: vomiting, pain ( arching of the back. restlessness), the inability to have a BM even after trying. Give the vet a call in the am. Hope your buddy is ok.
Roccosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Gypsiemouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 12,237
Default

I think your biggest concern would be that it could cause a blockage.
Watch for signs like lethargy, vomiting, struggling to poop, not wanting to eat / play.

Mongo had surgery for "ingesting a foreign object" just before his first birthday. When said "foreign object" was retrieved the best they could determine it was either a dryer sheet or a paper towel (I think it was a paper towel)

Hopefully Bruno either barfs it up or poops it out. Good luck and keep us posted.

.
__________________
Lynne- Owned by and Slave to Maggie and Mongo




Gypsiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced User
 
Breezygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 868
Default

Breeze chewed a dryer sheet once. I caught her and took it away.. she was foaming at the mouth for awhile.. but was ok. DRANK LOTS of water. I would think like mentioned before, that if anything keep an eye in fear of blockage. But I think Bruno will be ok! Keep us posted.
__________________
Mandi ... mom of fur kids.. Breeze, Bentley .. and new baby Winter
Breezygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
af_wx_wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 2,441
Default

I agree with all of the above. How is Bruno doing now?? Please keep us posted.
__________________
af_wx_wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
Mom2Titan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Georgetown, Ontario
Posts: 2,998
Default

Oh Bruno is at that lovely age!!! Ya gotta have eyes in the back of your head and an extra set in every room he visits I am sure it will pass but like the above posts keep an extra eye on his BM and call your vet. My boys ate a dish sponge at that age and one pooped it out and the other puked theirs up - they shared the same sponge - boy did I have a panic attack
__________________


Cindy - Mom to Titan & Kailer, Boxers, docked & floppy
RAW fed since December 24, 2013

Last edited by Mom2Titan; 01-16-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: grammar
Mom2Titan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super User
 
tguinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North West, New Jersey
Posts: 1,297
Send a message via AIM to tguinter
Default

he may poop it out but i would def. keep an eye on him. call the vet to make sure and keep us posted.
__________________
Tessa, Mom to Rusty and Dually




tguinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Power User
 
flyinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 412
Default

Vet says toxicity shouldn't be an issue since it was used. The concern is more if it causes a blockage. They said to monitor him for any changes in eating, poo, lethargy, etc. and if all goes well it should pass within a couple days. He's fine so far this morning. Ugh, he's gotten them before but just chewed them. It was so quick and I was across the room when he grabbed it. It was literally a run around the coffee table in the living room and into the kitchen and stop by the crate.....gone. We haven't found it on the floor anywhere so yeah pretty sure he really did swallow it. The last time he got one it was really soggy and limp when we retrieved it so I'm having high hopes it won't cause a blockage.
__________________
flyinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
winnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
Vet says toxicity shouldn't be an issue since it was used. The concern is more if it causes a blockage. They said to monitor him for any changes in eating, poo, lethargy, etc. and if all goes well it should pass within a couple days. He's fine so far this morning. Ugh, he's gotten them before but just chewed them. It was so quick and I was across the room when he grabbed it. It was literally a run around the coffee table in the living room and into the kitchen and stop by the crate.....gone. We haven't found it on the floor anywhere so yeah pretty sure he really did swallow it. The last time he got one it was really soggy and limp when we retrieved it so I'm having high hopes it won't cause a blockage.
You really think he could have gobbled it up so fast...whole? I get crazy when Porter eats things. Usually I try to help it push it's way through with a little fiber...some pumpkin or pieces of bread. Just a thought.
__________________
Molly, Mom to Porter and Fiona
winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Power User
 
flyinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 412
Default

Yeah I'm pretty sure. I was right behind him and it was in his mouth. He stopped and I pried his mouth open, no dryer sheet. Looked all around the area, no dryer sheet. The last time he got one he nearly swallowed it. It was way back there when we got it. One way or the other, there won't be a 3rd time.
__________________
flyinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum