How did you know your rescue was the one? - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Go Back   Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums > Boxer Dog Rescue Boards > Rescue forum

BoxerForums.com is the premier Boxer Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Power User
 
BayernBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 602
Default How did you know your rescue was the one?

Hi Boxer friends,

We just applied to adopt a rescue Boxer. I am soooo nervous. Nervous because I have not done this before. I am told that many foster/breed rescue organizations are super picky and many people fail getting a dog.

How do you know if the dog is a good fit?
If the foster is reputable and kind to the dog?
If we will even match?
Are we making a mistake?
What if the dog is violent, dangerous, aggressive?

It is the early stages yet, but I was told our application looks excellent and so far we qualify. Except... they need to talk with our vet and our references. We chose neighbors as references. Figuring they could give a clear picture of how well behaved our dogs were. We had non barkers and our dogs stayed in our yard. A few times would wander when neighbors got a new puppy. We love our vet practice. But the last few weeks of our last dogs life I was an emotional wreck. I was always nice to the staff but I think I was walking in a haze of saddness. I am sure the vet understands all this.

One tiny red flag... and maybe this is my husband worried. Is that they listed the dog as age 4-5 on petfinder but when you go to do more research there is another note that says the dog is 7 years old. I asked how old but have heard nothing specific back yet on that question. I think they are avoiding the answer. She looks older than 7. Maybe that is why she is still available. We have only seen a short video and photos with very little information about the dog. She has the kindest eyes and seems fairly calm. Not your typical boisterous boxer. Rather dignified and gentle.
Even if she is old. I think we would still take her. Personality is important to us.

And lastly what happens if we do not qualify? I will be heart broken. Our vet loves us, as do our neighbors and references. But what if the Foster parent does not like us and we just are not "good enough" to adopt. All these terrible doubts and worry. How will I ever sleep?

Again, I have never done this as an adult. My parents did this when I was a kid but I don't know how they adopted. I think it was a shelter or local "pound". Gosh, What if I fall in love and can't have her.

Forgive my worries. I am looking for puppy/dog love and hoping there is a happy ending in my future.

Thanks for your thoughts and support on this.
bayernboxer
BayernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced User
 
lillysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 104
Default

Hopefully everything will go fine. I looked into Boxer Rescue as well, but I live out side the boundaries to where they could do a home visit. I was surprised yesterday when I looked at the website of the nearest humane society, and they actually had 2 boxers in the shelter. And if for some reason you don't get approved, and if there are no boxers at your humane society.... there always seems to be grown boxers on craigslist that need to be re-homed that are probably on the verge of being put in the shelter.
I hope you get approved!
__________________
Keith
Daddy to
Lilly 7/29/2006 - 1/1/2013
Gracie born: 12/30/2012
lillysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
winnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,652
Default

I wouldn't think you have a thing to worry about Bayern Boxer. I am sure the love for your dog will come shining through in your application. I mean, that really is what it is all about. I know they are tough. We went through it and the did a home and yard check and interview and brought 3 dogs to temper test my Winnie. We were approved without a problem.

We ended up not choosing a rescue through them since they were only offering us seniors and I already had Winnie who was probably 10 or 11 at the time.

As for choosing, I would definately take your baby for a vist and make sure they get along. I don't know how you know which one, all I can say is that the minute I saw Winnie at my vets (dumped at their office as an emaciated senior) I knew he was coming home with me. Remember to be patient. Winnie was at our house for 2 or 3 weeks and showed NO interest in bonding with us. He would find a place to sleep in whatever room we weren't in....but he was no problem so we said we are sticking it out, even if it stays like this. Well it didn't take long until he started following us around, stealing our clothes when we weren't home to snuggle, insisting on sleeping on our bed, (basically being a mama's boy!!!) I guess what I'm saying is that it is going to take a little bit of time for ALL of you to make the adjustments and just be patient.
__________________
Molly, Mom to Porter and Fiona
winnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
winnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,652
Default

Honey, your vets know that the walking haze was grief for the love of your baby! I don't think you have the slightest thing to worry about. Hell, if crying in the vet's office were an offense, I'd be doing life.
__________________
Molly, Mom to Porter and Fiona
winnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Power User
 
BayernBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Honey, your vets know that the walking haze was grief for the love of your baby! I don't think you have the slightest thing to worry about. Hell, if crying in the vet's office were an offense, I'd be doing life.

thank you. I was in a total haze and even now feel like if I go back I am going to be in peices all over again. Just talking to them on the phone today had my throat dry with pain.
BayernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Power User
 
BayernBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
I wouldn't think you have a thing to worry about Bayern Boxer. I am sure the love for your dog will come shining through in your application. I mean, that really is what it is all about. I know they are tough. We went through it and the did a home and yard check and interview and brought 3 dogs to temper test my Winnie. We were approved without a problem.

We ended up not choosing a rescue through them since they were only offering us seniors and I already had Winnie who was probably 10 or 11 at the time.

As for choosing, I would definately take your baby for a vist and make sure they get along. I don't know how you know which one, all I can say is that the minute I saw Winnie at my vets (dumped at their office as an emaciated senior) I knew he was coming home with me. Remember to be patient. Winnie was at our house for 2 or 3 weeks and showed NO interest in bonding with us. He would find a place to sleep in whatever room we weren't in....but he was no problem so we said we are sticking it out, even if it stays like this. Well it didn't take long until he started following us around, stealing our clothes when we weren't home to snuggle, insisting on sleeping on our bed, (basically being a mama's boy!!!) I guess what I'm saying is that it is going to take a little bit of time for ALL of you to make the adjustments and just be patient.


Thanks again. I am actually dog free. I do not have any dogs that need to meet a rescue. Being dog free is the worst possible place to be. I miss having any dog around. You have no idea! The cute dog by my name is my male who passed away this past Nov. I miss him sooo very much.

As far as taking time. This is excellent to hear. Reading your story means it is not LOVE at first site but rather falling in love and falling into trust. I can do this. I can take it slowly. I am the exact same way as Winnie. I could see myself doing exactly that if I were a dog. Taking it slow until I knew I could trust the people around me.

Truly thank you for sharing this. I hope I get this rescue but if not I know that whatever dog comes my way is meant to be.
BayernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Power User
 
BayernBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillysdad View Post
Hopefully everything will go fine. I looked into Boxer Rescue as well, but I live out side the boundaries to where they could do a home visit. I was surprised yesterday when I looked at the website of the nearest humane society, and they actually had 2 boxers in the shelter. And if for some reason you don't get approved, and if there are no boxers at your humane society.... there always seems to be grown boxers on craigslist that need to be re-homed that are probably on the verge of being put in the shelter.
I hope you get approved!


That is how I found the boxer I am looking at, through a local shelter but this dog is being fostered. That is a great idea to check out craig's list.
Thanks.
BayernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
Mom2Jax&Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Houston area
Posts: 3,046
Default

As a rescue volunteer I will tell you this. The dog will pick you not the other way around. The minute you find "the" dog you will know it. It will be just like you have known him or her forever. Don't let the story sway you. That is the wrong reason to adopt a dog. I always tell my applicants to wait for the right one and when you meet them you will know. There won't be any "i wonder if this is it" or "could this one be it" You WILL know it. If, by chance, you find two that match you perfectly walk away a bit and close your eyes and think about your home. The first one that pops in your mind as the one you see in your home is the right one. Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
__________________
Owned by Jaxon- Flashy Fawn docked and natural 11/21/09 and Baylee- Fawn docked and cropped (kind of) 4/07/09 Rescue

Lone Star Boxer Rescue volunteer since 2010





Mom2Jax&Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
winnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayernBoxer View Post
Thanks again. I am actually dog free. I do not have any dogs that need to meet a rescue. Being dog free is the worst possible place to be. I miss having any dog around. You have no idea! The cute dog by my name is my male who passed away this past Nov. I miss him sooo very much.

As far as taking time. This is excellent to hear. Reading your story means it is not LOVE at first site but rather falling in love and falling into trust. I can do this. I can take it slowly. I am the exact same way as Winnie. I could see myself doing exactly that if I were a dog. Taking it slow until I knew I could trust the people around me.

Truly thank you for sharing this. I hope I get this rescue but if not I know that whatever dog comes my way is meant to be.
I'm sorry about your baby. I lost my Winnie in December. Winnie came to us as a gift. The day I had to help my 12 year old mo across the bridge the vet told us about Winnie. We said no we were not ready to give our heart away. Went home dog less and couldn't stop thinking about Winnie. I went to meet him 2 weeks after mo died and he came home the next day. Winnie was a neglect/abuse case and although he was aloof at first I felt that it was meant to be. We weren't even supposed to be in that vets office. We were supposed to have a home appt later in the day. The bet who we met no longer worked at that office. Mo had a bad night and we couldn't wait. He met us at the office that he no longer worked full time. We ALMOST didn't find Winnie. We believe that mo picked him for us. Corney but true

Stop worrying about not being approved. Your heart says it all, your a shoe in.
__________________
Molly, Mom to Porter and Fiona
winnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Power User
 
BayernBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Jax&Bay View Post
As a rescue volunteer I will tell you this. The dog will pick you not the other way around. The minute you find "the" dog you will know it. It will be just like you have known him or her forever. Don't let the story sway you. That is the wrong reason to adopt a dog. I always tell my applicants to wait for the right one and when you meet them you will know. There won't be any "i wonder if this is it" or "could this one be it" You WILL know it. If, by chance, you find two that match you perfectly walk away a bit and close your eyes and think about your home. The first one that pops in your mind as the one you see in your home is the right one. Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thank you. You are 100% correct.The dog will choose us.

Years ago we went to a boxer only rescue group. But we did not qualify! I was heart broken. We were told it was because we do not have a wooden fence. We have an invisible fence of 4 acres and they told us we could never get a dog from them. So right now I am sticking with Petfinder local rescue groups and hopefully they will help us to find the dog that will CHOOSE us.


The situation we are rescuing from is not a shelter where we can go meet dogs and walk away to think about the diffferent options. I wish we had something like that. I live in a more rural part of the country. We will visit a foster home the dog is staying in. We "qualify" except for the vet interview which is happening today. That should go okay, so I think (Hope) that we will be chosen for the dog we have in mind. We have seen video of her. She is a gentle soul that is not young. One data says 4-5 years another age on the video says 7 years. She could be 9?? We don't know. She has a bite mark (chunk taken out of her ear). She looks thin but very sweet. She was affectionate and gentle and not over the top with high energy. A medium energy dog who has been neglected. Curious but with great eye contact. Her eyes say it all. Sweet.

We are suppossed to go meet the foster family (pending vet interview) this weekend. The foster owner will see if they find us a fit for her. I believe someone is coming to do a home inspection too. I have pulled out the crates from the closet. Getting the home ready. Puppy/dog proofing our home. Even if we are not a fit for her there will be the right dog to find us. Wish me luck.


Thank you.
BayernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum