Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

American vs European

28K views 66 replies 20 participants last post by  chip18 
#1 ·
American boxer vs European boxer: What is your preference and why?

#4 ·
I prefer the European style when compared to the American style.
For me, when reading through the breed standard of ANY kennel club (AKC, CKC, FCI) for the boxer, the European better suits the description.

To put this out there, I also feel that the UK/AUS style boxer is a great representation of the breed standard.

#5 ·
There are so many differences. Even from one country to another. My York and Elena have similar looks and are both Hungarian. Napoli is from Holland, has the European build but the correct muzzle to head length. Compare her to York and her muzzle looks long when in reality yorks is to short.

Then you can get nice combinations when you mix the two styles.

Most of my dogs are full Europeans however I do have a couple American/European lines that I also like.

In the end it's about breeding to the standard. If I have a dog with a muzzle that is to short, I will try and find a mate with better muzzle to head ratio in hopes that it will improve the next generation. Not all dogs are perfect, it's up to us breeders to match them up with a dog that compliments their weaknesses.

Pictured below is our boy Kayo. He is a nice combination of American and European lines.

Attachments

#12 ·
I Like euro or euro cross lines best love the blockier build If I was to buy a boxer it would be a euro or euro cross preferably with Turo Bloodlines somewhere LOVE those lines

#13 ·
Obviously I prefer the European lines since I have 2 beautiful girls that are Euro. It was personal preference to me. I was more attracted to the bigger bone structure, the bigger heads, the shorter nose and then after meeting them I was loving their attitude, their spunk and just had to have one. Okay, had to have 2.

My girls have an American Boxer best friend who lives down the street and play with all the time. We are always comparing the 2 different lines and I think I have the owner of the American wanting a Euro puppy when he is ready to get another dog.

#15 ·
Both lines have the same health issues. I have also learned through my research that most European breeders thoroughly health test their dogs. I believe I read someplace, not sure where, but it is mandatory to have these tests done in order to register a litter. There are stricter guidlines to breeding in some European countries. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's still some BYB's there and some dishonest breeders. I'm sure Kari can attest that European breeders are very picky about shipping their dogs to America or Canada.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#16 ·
Personally I prefer the Euro boxers. To me they portray what boxers were first bred to be . A solid working dog . Heavier build and the shorter muzzle. I think maybe the more "elegant" boxer was bred more for the show ring as that is mostly what you see there. In fact the Euros even tho correct will not do well in an American dog show. Different strokes for different folks . Nothing wrong with that.

#18 ·
A boxer is a boxer to me and I do think that they're all beautiful. With that said, I do prefer the American look over the Euros. That's not to say I'll never own a Euro, but I just think American boxers look more sleek, slender, and elegant where the Euros look more muscular, solid, and blocky if that make sense.

I've also read (including in this thread by Kari) that Euros tend to have a higher prey drive which probably wouldn't work for me since I usually have one type of small animal in the house, plus all the little furry critters that come into our yard.

#19 ·
This turned into a very interesting thread with lots of neat info, thanks everyone.

We preferred the American look for a while and when we found Sid, his parents are both very American in appearance, as his breeder is very active in the show ring. At the time, we loved the slender elegant look of her American lines. Now that we are prepping for our second pup, we have been partial to finding a Euro pup. We love both looks now so we figure why not have one Euro and one American lol.

#20 ·
I agree with what Mandy (Ril-Mas) has said. I love them both and not to say I would never have a euro but I do prefer the American. I too love their athletic more elegant sleek look. Especially since I'm pretty little and in case of an emergency I would love to be able to lift the dog. I also have a little furry critter in my house who is free-range (That's why I never want a border collie, LOL).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#24 ·
I like the look of my bonnie, which to me was more of a European look. The longer snout doesn't look boxer to me. Besides, the boxer kisses are much more hilariously fun that way, especially when watching her give kisses to others. It was outrageous.

I just got used to her and now whenever I see the longer snout it reminds me of a cross breed, even though I know they are purebred, registered, etc.

#25 ·
I think Euro also kinda of a big head compared to my girl who was 100% USA.

Rocky my GSD is Euro,and he's big 117lbs, my friends son got two GSD's and I was horrified to see them! They were built like Coyotes compared to Rocky who looks like a BLK wolf!

I had always though the Euro doggies were bigger as a general rule and these Boxers and my Rocky, seem to bear that out! But I saw info on the web that was saying the Euro Boxers were smaller and the American dogs were bigger?

Maybe they were DWT? (Drunk While Typing) :)

GSD (German Shepard Dog)

#26 ·
I read that also on a couple of sites. I can't recall where. And of course since Bonnie was a little runt (40lbs fully grown, aprox 17 to 18 inches at the withers). I am partial to smash faced runt boxers.

My preferences aren't particular are they? ;)

#34 ·
Thank you! I had to be polite of course when I saw them. But I was truly horrified! My Rocky BLK GSD, looks like the Tan and Blacks (size wise 117lbs) I remember growing up.

I have to wonder if the American (GSD's) have been bred down by introducing Malinois blood into the breed? Much smaller dog 75 lbs.

Though that seems like something a BYB would do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.