Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

It's Been A Long Time & I Need Your Help Please

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  nuvomax 
#1 ·
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been to the boards. It's also been a while since I've searched for a dog.

Here's the situation, on September 1st of this year I lost my Beloved Bailey and Rex lost his "sister aka best Friend." Cried my eyes out and went through all the stages of grief.

I went to look just generally online where to find a Boxer of sale or adoption and there is a myriad of postings and I have no idea who is legit and who is running a puppy mill.

I was hoping that maybe someone on the board knows of a reputable place to get a Boxer Female. I'm fine with taking in an adult (that's how I ended up with Bailey in the first place) but I'll go the "Puppy rout" too if that's my only option.

I live in the Northern Virginia Washington D.C. (Nations Captial) area of the country and really hoping someone can guide me along. Things have changed so very much since 2011 when it was that I found Bailey and that was a fluke.

So if anyone can help me out and find a little girl who needs a home I would greatly appreciate it. I don't trust some of these sites the various "puppy finders" and whatnot. Just feels sketchy to me but maybe that's just me and all those people have been checked out and run a legit business.

I just feel completely lost and desperately need help from the community.

Attached is a picture of my Beloved Bailey. Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

See less See more
#2 ·
I am so sorry you lost your Bailey I have gone thru this loss recently too and I thought for a long time whether I would get another dog or not but the house seemed too empty without boxers in it. I got my dogs from Shuster Haus Boxers check out their website she has good dogs. I am very pleased with the temperaments of the two I got from her I looked for a long time online too and was scared about some of the dogs listed there since you cannot tell who is a puppy mill and who is legit. I live in the area you do, so check her site out she is on facebook too. It seemed Pennsylvania was infested with puppy mills and Wva. too. So I ruled those out. I think now its a good idea to get a dog that's parents have been health screened you pay more but its cheaper in the long run to have a healthy dog. Again sorry about your Bailey she was beautiful

#3 ·
I am so sorry you lost your Bailey I have gone thru this loss recently too and I thought for a long time whether I would get another dog or not but the house seemed too empty without boxers in it. I got my dogs from Shuster Haus Boxers check out their website she has good dogs. I am very pleased with the temperaments of the two I got from her I looked for a long time online too and was scared about some of the dogs listed there since you cannot tell who is a puppy mill and who is legit. I live in the area you do, so check her site out she is on facebook too. It seemed Pennsylvania was infested with puppy mills and Wva. too. So I ruled those out. I think now its a good idea to get a dog that's parents have been health screened you pay more but its cheaper in the long run to have a healthy dog. Again sorry about your Bailey she was beautiful

Thank you so much for the kind words and the suggestion. I'll check it out and see what I can find.

I've had Boxers since I was a toddler in 1975 and I've always had a Boxer since so not having one in my life is unimaginable. I just haven't been looking for about a decade and a lot seems to have changed and become kind of shady.

#4 ·
Yeah I was not used to the "new" way things are done it seems most people do all this on the internet and commit to a puppy they have not seen. I have had boxers in my life now for a long time I enjoy them so much they are just fun. If you are depressed at all they make you forget for a little bit all the negative things in life they just love to have fun. Dogs cost more now too, the Vet costs are way up and if they are a reputable breeder they have done some testing to make sure the dogs are healthy. I remember the one time I was searching for a new puppy I must have looked at 4 litters locally and I was pretty shocked at the condition of some of the dogs or one guy wouldn't let me look at the parents only thru a glass door puppies hadn't been vetted so its awful you have to be very careful. I notice a lot of ads would say "raised in the home with children" well I don't care about that I want to know are its parents carriers of DM or DCM things that are going to kill the dog. I also want to know about temperaments too, you will have this dog many years if you are lucky and you want a sound personality as well as health.

#6 ·
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been to the boards. It's also been a while since I've searched for a dog.

Here's the situation, on September 1st of this year I lost my Beloved Bailey and Rex lost his "sister aka best Friend." Cried my eyes out and went through all the stages of grief.

I went to look just generally online where to find a Boxer of sale or adoption and there is a myriad of postings and I have no idea who is legit and who is running a puppy mill.

I was hoping that maybe someone on the board knows of a reputable place to get a Boxer Female. I'm fine with taking in an adult (that's how I ended up with Bailey in the first place) but I'll go the "Puppy rout" too if that's my only option.

I live in the Northern Virginia Washington D.C. (Nations Captial) area of the country and really hoping someone can guide me along. Things have changed so very much since 2011 when it was that I found Bailey and that was a fluke.

So if anyone can help me out and find a little girl who needs a home I would greatly appreciate it. I don't trust some of these sites the various "puppy finders" and whatnot. Just feels sketchy to me but maybe that's just me and all those people have been checked out and run a legit business.

I just feel completely lost and desperately need help from the community.

Attached is a picture of my Beloved Bailey. View attachment 125164

Sorry for your loss. She was a pretty girl.

We got a 3rd boxer a couple of years ago- partly so one of our boys don't have to be alone when the other passes, but mostly because Momma wanted another boxer to love. We have a happy pack now. I dread the day we lose one, and try to make their lives a great as possible in the meantime.

I understand Rex being lonely and your desire to have another boxer in your lives. We are in SC and there are several rescues in our area and expect there are near you too. These go into VA and may have the right fit for your family.

Boxer Butts and Other Mutts-
Boxer Butts & Other Mutts BBOM Adoptable Dogs

Blue Ridge Boxer Rescue adopts into VA
https://blueridgeboxerrescue.com/about-us/

Carolina Boxer Rescue covers some of VA
About ? Carolina Boxer Rescue

I wish you luck!

#7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions but a Rescue is not going to work. I've scoured every rescue within a 100 mile radius and even the Boxer rescues only have mixes.

I have had Boxers for 46 years, my entire life, and I'm looking for a pure boxer. I know the breed so well and love them so much. I'm sure a mix would be great but I don't know what to expect and I 100% want that Boxer personality.

I'll gladly take an adult but it will likely have to be private hands type thing. I'd prefer an adult but at this point I'm looking at puppies and OMG all I'm seeing is locations in Pensylvania that I've learned are generally puppy-mills and they aren't even close at that. How hard can it be to find a Boxer locally?

If anyone has any advice, or knows someone, or anything, I'd be very grateful.

Missing Bailey like crazy but she would want her pack to be happy and full, and it just isn't right now because we're missing someone.

#10 ·
Your post made me giggle a little- that's exactly how my husband feels. He will not get a boxer mix as he's afraid the personality will be too different and they may not be as goofy and fun.
I'm not as picky, but I understand where you guys are coming from.
There are some breeders in SC too if you want to drive this far. We found some online a couple of years ago when we were looking to add to our pack.

#8 ·
Yes its very difficult to find a reputable breeder with health tested lineage. I wanted a 2nd boxer as I felt my daughter would be moving out with her boxer and I am older so I wanted a pup while I was still in a mode to train one. I could not find a puppy within my traveling distance. I ended up with a health tested standard poodle, who now thinks he is a boxer. LOL and my daughter decided to stay home.

#9 ·
Like I said I live in your area and I had to go to NC to find good dogs. They were within driving distance too I didn't want to air ship a dog. I have been very happy with the dogs I got and so far no health issues and great temperaments. I know for a fact after searching a long time that not all breeders are doing genetic testing and I know now more than ever how important that is having lost 2 dogs within 6 mos. to DCM I have been hearing lately of a lot more dogs having DM as well. I did not want to take anymore chances things will work out right.

#11 ·
Well ... I have no "shortage of Plan B's!! :)

And while you did look at your local rescues and they had nothing "available" for you ... "Then??" It does not mean they won't, "now, tomorrow or six months from now??? If they are successful at what they do??? They get dog's all the time. And rescues always need "Foster's."

And as such, if it's an option??? You could "sign up for one or all local Boxer Rescues, near you are heck a bit further? And you can set the terms and you can tell them a "Pure Bred Boxer" only.

Now if they are half way decedent at there job??? They should know what a "Boxer" looks like?? And if so ... if they happen to get a "PB" Boxer ... rest assure you'd get the first call! Just a thought.
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.