Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

How many times per day?

3K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  TheBoxerPrincess 
#1 ·
Do any on you feed your Boxer just once per day? I'm doing twice as she is quite a big eater and I don't want her to eat too much in one sitting, as I know that's not great for Boxers.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I do my dogs twice a day. Its generally considered not a good idea to do one big meal. Boxers are one of the breeds that get bloat and its a killer of dogs. If your dog doesn't die from the bloat its at least a very big Vet bill. I lost a German Shepherd to bloat when I was younger and its terrible so I am very sensitive and careful about feeding. They recommend not letting your dog exercise for at least an hour or two before or after eating as well for the same reason. I always wait at least 2 hours. You have a beautiful dog I just LOVE her.

#8 ·
I have always fed my boxers 3 times a day.

I do my best to coordinate feeding times with a 2 hour window before/after a big exercise session such as hiking, walking, or playing.

If it is impossible to fit the 2 hour time span in before/after a walk, I will skip the feeding and just give 2 feedings that day.

On the occasions when I need to skip a feeding, I do not increase the size of the meal and feed the same amount I usually feed.

The great majority of the time though, I give 3 feedings per day.

My reasoning for 3 feedings is in line with what Luvmiboxers wrote above; I am trying to minimize the risk of bloat.

Your boxer is absolutely gorgeous!!

#19 ·
Looking good Luvmiboxers. I met a guy with a Boxer a couple of weeks ago. His male was a massive 44kg (97lbs). His dog looked great and in good shape but was suffering with back and hip pain because of the weight. Personally I hate it when owners overfeed their dogs and they become seriously overweight and lose their athletism.

#20 ·
Yeah we exercise every day we walk at least 2 miles a day and she plays a lot with her 1/2 brother in the yard. I like to keep them in shape because if their muscles are built up it protects their legs and joints from injury particularly knees. She loves to run and she is incredibly fast too jumping ditches and flying around. Her 1/2 brother who is mostly Euro is big and gangly yet he tries to run and keep up with her but he can't! He is very trim and he is 63lbs and he is only 8 months old so he will be very big when he is done filling out. I don't have any good pictures of him yet every time I try to take his picture he turns his head.

#23 ·
Looks good enough to eat, doesn't the broccoli give her gas? Her coat looks wonderful so you must be doing something right. I keep my guys on commercial dog food Royal Canin boxer they seem to doing well on it. I am afraid of raw because of the risk of salmonella and listeria but like I said your dog looks incredible so keep up the good work its wonderful you take the time to take such good care of her. I love to see people treasure their dogs and appreciate them as much as you apparently do all dogs deserve this kind of love we don't get to have them in our lives that long so I love seeing this.

#24 ·
Thanks Luvmiboxers.

I wanted to do the best for my puppy so did lots of research before I even picked her up.

As with most dog stuff there is always multiple sides to the story or argument for and against almost anything.

In the end I decided to go raw for a few reasons:

I couldn't find details of any vet that had treated a dog for salmonella. Including my own vet.

Kibble has not been around all that long, so what did animals eat before that became available, and even before that how do wild animals survive. It just felt more like how mother nature intended.

I found that freezing food for long periods before letting my puppy eat it actually killed off any bacteria which made it even more safe.

Freya has been on raw since about 20weeks old. Her coat is very soft and very shiny. She eats quite a lot but only does pretty small poos. She has very high energy too.

I guess there is no right or wrong. My vet always tries me to take her off raw and also to get her spayed.

Im a new dog owner. This is my first ever dog - after spending my entire life absolutely afraid of all dogs no matter how big or small. I literally had a dog phobia (haha I can laugh about it now).

Like most owners I'm just trying to give my dog the best life ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.