Too Many Litters? - Page 2 - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Go Back   Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums > About Boxers and Breeders > Breeding Info

BoxerForums.com is the premier Boxer Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Advanced User
 
SaharaNight Boxers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 907
Default Too Many Litters?

What kind of health tests are they doing? Also six litters out of one dog or multiple dogs? And in the same year? If the dogs are very good quality dogs and they have a really good reason for not showing I wouldn't have a problem. I would want them to still have the dog evaluated for conformation by a judge though.


I understand that kiliji is like craigslist right? I don't know if I would go with a breeder who advertises on there as most of the time they aren't good. I would be ok with them if they are a good breeder on a puppy find site. If they have to advertise that much though then they probably aren't that great.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
SaharaNight Boxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
Furbabyneeded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 32
Default

All different dogs. From Jan - may this year 6 litters will be born. It sucks because I honestly felt this was an amazing breeder. I am now embarrassed to tell people about how many litters. I have a few friends who work with rescues, and they are vocal about this.

The breeder is very nice. Parents are tested, dogs are from previous owners. Only 1 or 2 actually lives with the breeder. I think that is common.

I just want to be able to tell people who I got my girl from, without the judgement. If that males sense......
Furbabyneeded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Power User
 
HerculesCasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Halifax NS
Posts: 580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabyneeded View Post
All different dogs. From Jan - may this year 6 litters will be born. It sucks because I honestly felt this was an amazing breeder. I am now embarrassed to tell people about how many litters. I have a few friends who work with rescues, and they are vocal about this.



The breeder is very nice. Parents are tested, dogs are from previous owners. Only 1 or 2 actually lives with the breeder. I think that is common.



I just want to be able to tell people who I got my girl from, without the judgement. If that males sense......

It sounds like you feel embarrassed because your being judged by friends involved with rescues? IMO most rescue organizations don't really support any breeder despite how ethical they may be. If there are homes for all or most of the puppies is it unethical? In my opinion no, rescuing isn't for everyone people want the puppy experience, health testing is important to some. Don't feel embarrassed by how many litters they have had in a year feel proud of your puppy, his pedigree, personality and that you made a choice to have a responsibly bred health tested puppy. Breeding and litters can be debated until the cows come home.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
HerculesCasey is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Advanced User
 
SaharaNight Boxers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 907
Default

That sounds ok then and it is common if the dogs were co-owned and they were just advertising for them.

I just realized it looks like your girl is European so I could see why they don't show. If they're health testing-holter, echo, and thyroid at minimum-and breeding good quality dogs then I see no problem with the breeder.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
SaharaNight Boxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Advanced User
 
SaharaNight Boxers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerculesCasey View Post
It sounds like you feel embarrassed because your being judged by friends involved with rescues? IMO most rescue organizations don't really support any breeder despite how ethical they may be. If there are homes for all or most of the puppies is it unethical? In my opinion no, rescuing isn't for everyone people want the puppy experience, health testing is important to some. Don't feel embarrassed by how many litters they have had in a year feel proud of your puppy, his pedigree, personality and that you made a choice to have a responsibly bred health tested puppy. Breeding and litters can be debated until the cows come home.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

I just wanted to echo this too as I agree. Where I live it's a pretty big dog city and area. We have a lot of shelters in the city, a lot of responsible breeders, and even more back yard breeders. I see a lot of the "don't breed or buy while animals sit and die" bumper stickers and other magnets. If people see Duke isn't neutered and ask if he's going to be bred and I say yes even after mentioning he is a show dog and is health tested, I still get that hostile and disgusted look sometimes and the disagreeing "oh" then they walk away without even looking at Duke. Some people will just never be happy. I'm definitely not saying this applies to all who rescue though.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
SaharaNight Boxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
Furbabyneeded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 32
Default

That's exactly what I get, from friends. I mentioned I would love to breed my girl (when she is older, health tested, etc) and friends were appalled. I then got educated on their rescues and how many dogs die. Sigh. It's hard to be proud of my amazing pup, with all the negative talk. It drives me nuts. I began wondering if I am the one who is wrong.

My one friend shares the rescue stats non stop. I am happy to hear that this is actually a debate and I am not the only one who gets treated badly for going the breeder route. I thought I was doing the right thing. Lol.

My girl is part Euro. She is so beautiful and honestly, the smartest pup I have ever met. Her parents are both amazing. Her dad was an import.

***should add, breed her with the breeder, not on my own. I have no clue how to breed, birth, or raise a litter.
Furbabyneeded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Power User
 
HerculesCasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Halifax NS
Posts: 580
Default Too Many Litters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabyneeded View Post
That's exactly what I get, from friends. I mentioned I would love to breed my girl (when she is older, health tested, etc) and friends were appalled. I then got educated on their rescues and how many dogs die. Sigh. It's hard to be proud of my amazing pup, with all the negative talk. It drives me nuts. I began wondering if I am the one who is wrong.

My one friend shares the rescue stats non stop. I am happy to hear that this is actually a debate and I am not the only one who gets treated badly for going the breeder route. I thought I was doing the right thing. Lol.

My girl is part Euro. She is so beautiful and honestly, the smartest pup I have ever met. Her parents are both amazing. Her dad was an import.

***should add, breed her with the breeder, not on my own. I have no clue how to breed, birth, or raise a litter.
I was just going to say make sure you seek help on the proper way, health testing and a conformation check but if your puppy is quality enough to breed your breeder should be able to help get you on the right track and you guys can negotiate a breeding rights contract, very important! But no matter what choice you make in life you will encounter nay Sayers!



Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
HerculesCasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
Furbabyneeded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerculesCasey View Post
I was just going to say make sure you seek help on the proper way, health testing and a conformation check but if your puppy is quality enough to breed your breeder should be able to help get you on the right track and you guys can negotiate a breeding rights contract, very important! But no matter what choice you make in life you will encounter nay Sayers!



Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I would have nothing to really do with the breeding, the breeder decides it all. Lol. I would just want one of my girls boys. She is so amazing.

Thanks for all the replies. Feeling a lot better, so thank you.
Furbabyneeded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
Mom2Rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,201
Default

I think it really depends on what they are doing with these puppies. Are they only breeding to supply a demand for pet puppies? Or are they breeding to keep thier next up and coming show or performance puppy? How many show quality puppies are being placed in show homes? If the breeder is keeping puppies back are they working with them and showing them? Or just raising them to breed in the future?

There are small scale breeders and larger scale breeders. It's not uncommon for a big name kennel who is very successful in the show ring to have 6+ litters a year.
__________________

Lisa owned by Numa & Rocky
WildRiver Boxers
Mom2Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum