Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums (https://www.boxerforums.com/forum.php)
-   Finding a Breeder (https://www.boxerforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Frustrated (https://www.boxerforums.com/showthread.php?t=136458)

Serena 02-03-2014 04:16 PM

Frustrated
 
We are considering adding another wiggle butt to our family. We would like a male puppy. I've been researching breeders online across more than three states and am totally frustrated. Either they are BYBs who don't health test for heart/hips, or they don't reply to email/phone messages, or their pricing of a pet puppy is excessively high ($1800 to $2500).

I am now looking at different boxer rescue groups but our first preference is a puppy from a breeder who health tests.

Just had to rant a bit.

ashlee18 02-03-2014 05:22 PM

Health tested boxer pups are much cheaper here. I got my girl for $1100 and she was one of the more expensive puppies.

Have you considered driving south? The several hundred dollars you would save would still be more than the gas you pay.

Serena 02-03-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashlee18 (Post 1486970)
Health tested boxer pups are much cheaper here. I got my girl for $1100 and she was one of the more expensive puppies.

Have you considered driving south? The several hundred dollars you would save would still be more than the gas you pay.

Thanks for the reply. I looked as far south as North Carolina, but I will definitely check into GA and South Carolina too.

Serena 02-03-2014 05:45 PM

Just received an email reply from a breeder about 2 hours from me...a pet quality pup is $2200. They test heart (holter), DM & thyroid. I certainly understand the importance of testing and the expense, also that they must recoup some of the costs but I think that this is what opens the door to the BYBs.

We'll look further south as someone suggested and I am also looking at the boxer rescues in the hopes that maybe they have young male pups.

CKY 02-03-2014 06:54 PM

It may seem expensive, but it sure saves money down the road if you don't (or have a significantly decreased chance of) encounter health problems. I'd recommend you look at the thread "Costs of Raising a Litter" by 2manydogs, it was really helpful for me. Good luck!

MamasGirl 02-03-2014 06:55 PM

Another family memb.
 
I volnt. for Northeastboxerrescue.com check them out we are not out of your way! Good luck!

Serena 02-03-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKY (Post 1487066)
It may seem expensive, but it sure saves money down the road if you don't (or have a significantly decreased chance of) encounter health problems. I'd recommend you look at the thread "Costs of Raising a Litter" by 2manydogs, it was really helpful for me. Good luck!

Thank you. I do understand how expensive it is to raise a litter, and I have read that particular post. It was very informative. I guess it just shocks me each time I see the costs for a pet puppy. And some of them don't do all of the testing, either and yet still charge extremely high prices. One breeder that my husband spoke to said her pet puppies are $2500. Her show puppies are $3000. She doesn't test, she said she knows her lines. Yikes!

Gypsiemouse 02-03-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serena (Post 1487154)
Thank you. I do understand how expensive it is to raise a litter, and I have read that particular post. It was very informative. I guess it just shocks me each time I see the costs for a pet puppy. And some of them don't do all of the testing, either and yet still charge extremely high prices. One breeder that my husband spoke to said her pet puppies are $2500. Her show puppies are $3000. She doesn't test, she said she knows her lines. Yikes!

That's a common response you get in NJ
Look further west and have the puppy shipped.

:)

Serena 02-03-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsiemouse (Post 1487170)
That's a common response you get in NJ
Look further west and have the puppy shipped.

:)

The breeder my husband spoke was in the Delmarva region.

I did see one in the Midwest who does all of the health testing but they were over $2000 too.

Serena 02-03-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamasGirl (Post 1487074)
I volnt. for Northeastboxerrescue.com check them out we are not out of your way! Good luck!

I was looking at the site earlier. What is the best way to get more detailed info on a particular dog, such as whether its friendly with cats, house trained, etc. There is one dog in particular we saw and my husband also wants to know if its possible to visit the dogs.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.