Looking for a great Boxer breeder - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Go Back   Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums > About Boxers and Breeders > Breeding Info > Finding a Breeder

BoxerForums.com is the premier Boxer Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Default Looking for a great Boxer breeder

I am looking for a female Boxer puppy next spring/summerish. I have spent many hours researching only to encounter mostly frustration. My main requirements are:


thoroughly health tested relatives, with excellent results and longevity
natural tails and dewclaws
some kind of working/performance titles on relatives
parents no older than 6 years
puppies well-socialized from start
no inbreeding/linebreeding
plenty of updates on puppies as they are born and growing
no spay/neuter requirement (I will never breed but don't do surgeries that aren't medically necessary)



Preferences:


raw diet
limited/no vaccinations or medications


Price and location, as long as it's in the U.S., are pretty much irrelevant to me.



So far the only ones who have come close are these:


https://europeanandsealedbrindleboxers.webs.com/
Show and Pet Quality AKC European Boxer Puppies
https://www.chicagolandboxers.com/


I've contacted and been approved by all of them, first two seem great except they don't apparently do any type of competition with their dogs and both seem to be extremely busy, too busy even to give enough info about their dogs, no responses to some emails, which makes me concerned about how much attention the puppies and dogs are getting. The third one also doesn't respond to emails, he does answer the phone during the day but won't give me the pedigrees, health testing or competition information on his dogs. Is this really asking for too much? The only reason I'm even considering the third one is because he does working competition with his dogs, but if he won't tell me what the results of that were, or the pedigrees or health testing info, that's not a plus. Does anyone have any other suggestions? At this point I'm thinking Havenwoods is probably my best option. Northwoods seems about the same, those two have related dogs, but Northwoods is even less responsive to emails and won't tell me the price of their puppies.

Last edited by Boxerfan6; 09-21-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Boxerfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Default

I've made my decision, am now on the waiting list for a brindle female puppy out of "Resistance."


https://europeanandsealedbrindleboxe...resistance.htm


Hopefully she'll have puppies next spring/summer not long after my current girl with kidney disease is gone. The only thing this breeder doesn't do that I'd like is some kind of performance competition, but she does feed a raw diet and though she normally vaccinates for several things, she agreed to only vaccinate my puppy for parvo and distemper one time before I pick her up, and Resistance does have lots of successful working relatives, as does the sire, so I think that more than makes up for it.
Boxerfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 80
Default

Hi there,
I find the website pretty much overloaded – but here is some input. Maybe what I looked for is there but couldn’t find it on the site, I might be just too lazy to look.
First of all she looks good.
To hand over puppies at eight weeks is a little too early for me, I prefer 10. I did not see the medicals of her parents , I don’t see what she weighs or how tall she is. Showing the pedigree, ancestral charts of her parents etc. is a confidence builder for the buyer, did you find them? – would also allow you to understand more on the health issues. Will you get copies of the ancestral charts incl. Health reports when you pick up the pup. Will this be her first litter?

What’s I don’t like are the hip results C1 – its not a deal breaker, but you need to find out who the future father of your pup is going to be and find out what his hips are. With her being C he must be an A, not B or C. If the breeder wont or cant tell you, I personally would not reserve a pup from a mother with C without the medicals from the father of your future pup, 2000 dollars for a C hip is a lot of cash. Her Spondylosis result is good

On the positive side is that they seem to travel, also to the ATI Box, they had the hips and spondylosis results confirmed via the Boxer Club in Munich (ask the breeder who did the X-Rays, the answer would interest me.

Good luck
benthe bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 09-30-2018, 12:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced User
 
bte2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: TN
Posts: 159
Default

If it's me... I keep looking. The C1 hips are a concern.
And I don't really see any real "working". The breeder doesn't seem to do any sport/comp. with them.
If that is what your looking for in your next pup, make sure you pick a breeder that does some type of sport/comp themselves.
Good luck!
bte2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super User
 
owenowlsnest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,844
Default

You mentioned the third one, chicagolandboxers, didn't tell you the results of their working competitions. If you go further into their website you can find it.


https://www.chicagolandboxers.com/awards.html


I wouldn't have any issues buying a dog from this breeder. Don't know about the others. I'd want to see what their purchase agreement looks like. I would think there would be restrictions on breeding puppies. More dogs are getting their ZTP tests done which is a breeding suitability test. Boxer dogs shouldn't have to suffer from health conditions that are painful, and shorten their short lives.
owenowlsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenowlsnest View Post
You mentioned the third one, chicagolandboxers, didn't tell you the results of their working competitions. If you go further into their website you can find it.


https://www.chicagolandboxers.com/awards.html


I wouldn't have any issues buying a dog from this breeder. Don't know about the others. I'd want to see what their purchase agreement looks like. I would think there would be restrictions on breeding puppies. More dogs are getting their ZTP tests done which is a breeding suitability test. Boxer dogs shouldn't have to suffer from health conditions that are painful, and shorten their short lives.
The ZTP per say does not test the dogs health it tests the character, endurance and body build, head, ears, fangs and if the body size ( and the rest) is within the standards. The HD test is a perquisite, a low score will lead to failing the ZTP maybe you meant the same
benthe bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super User
 
owenowlsnest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,844
Default

I see that the person posting this does not want to have a spay/neuter contract so I'm not sure if this would be possible with the breeder I commented on.


I think a dog has to be 18 months to do the ZTP, and have passed the BH. Since there is some bite work involved with the ZTP, I don't know if they have to also have some IPO training. I get off topic. Not sure if they require a DNA test too.
owenowlsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthe bandit View Post
Hi there,
I find the website pretty much overloaded – but here is some input. Maybe what I looked for is there but couldn’t find it on the site, I might be just too lazy to look.
First of all she looks good.
To hand over puppies at eight weeks is a little too early for me, I prefer 10. I did not see the medicals of her parents , I don’t see what she weighs or how tall she is. Showing the pedigree, ancestral charts of her parents etc. is a confidence builder for the buyer, did you find them? – would also allow you to understand more on the health issues. Will you get copies of the ancestral charts incl. Health reports when you pick up the pup. Will this be her first litter?

What’s I don’t like are the hip results C1 – its not a deal breaker, but you need to find out who the future father of your pup is going to be and find out what his hips are. With her being C he must be an A, not B or C. If the breeder wont or cant tell you, I personally would not reserve a pup from a mother with C without the medicals from the father of your future pup, 2000 dollars for a C hip is a lot of cash. Her Spondylosis result is good

On the positive side is that they seem to travel, also to the ATI Box, they had the hips and spondylosis results confirmed via the Boxer Club in Munich (ask the breeder who did the X-Rays, the answer would interest me.

Good luck

Here is the dam's pedigree:


HavenWoods Resistance


The sire will be one of two dogs, this one:


Aramis vom Drachenstich


or this one:


Danabol d'Jandilla


Danabol has A hips, don't know why it's not shown in that pedigree database, maybe just not updated yet, and he also has multiple V conformation ratings in shows. Resistance has had a previous litter by Aramis and I suspect Danabol will be her next mating, but either would be fine with me. I don't love the C hips either, but think mating her to A or B would be acceptable. Breeder does have copies of all health test results and I've seen them.


Thanks!

Last edited by Boxerfan6; 10-05-2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: adding info on Danabol
Boxerfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bte2 View Post
If it's me... I keep looking. The C1 hips are a concern.
And I don't really see any real "working". The breeder doesn't seem to do any sport/comp. with them.
If that is what your looking for in your next pup, make sure you pick a breeder that does some type of sport/comp themselves.
Good luck!

Keep looking where? I've been all over the internet and have not found any better than this one for what I'm wanting. If you have a suggestion I'm all ears, and eyes.


Yes, the lack of working titles on the parents isn't my preference, but many other relatives of these dogs do have strong working titles, and I can't find a breeder who meets every one of my requirements. That's the only one this breeder lacks. Most of them lack a bunch of them.



Thank you!
Boxerfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenowlsnest View Post
You mentioned the third one, chicagolandboxers, didn't tell you the results of their working competitions. If you go further into their website you can find it.


https://www.chicagolandboxers.com/awards.html


I wouldn't have any issues buying a dog from this breeder. Don't know about the others. I'd want to see what their purchase agreement looks like. I would think there would be restrictions on breeding puppies. More dogs are getting their ZTP tests done which is a breeding suitability test. Boxer dogs shouldn't have to suffer from health conditions that are painful, and shorten their short lives.

Do you know this breeder? I've spoken with him and there is absolutely no way I would buy a puppy from him without a LOT more information. He told me his next planned breeding is Black Jaxx x Lourdes, neither of whom he can/will provide a pedigree or health testing results for, and he openly states on his website that he does not even test for DM just because he hasn't had a dog with it. That awards page is WAY out of date. Neither Black Jaxx nor Lourdes is mentioned on it, I asked him what titles/performance records they have and he would not give me that information either. The only advantage I see with him is that he does work with at least some of his dogs, but without knowing how they did, or so much else about them, just no way. He does sell puppies only on limited registration which is fine with me, and does not require spaying or neutering.


Thanks!
Boxerfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum