Help deciding whether to buy(in UK) - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Go Back   Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums > About Boxers and Breeders > Breeding Info > Finding a Breeder

BoxerForums.com is the premier Boxer Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Default Help deciding whether to buy(in UK)

Hi guys, I am not sure if I am in the right place to ask this but I have a chance to buy a pup, after reading into things I am scared of getting a dog that will not live a full and healthy life. One of the dogs parents(father) is ch American Araby Flyer to Jimbren, I am wondering if any knows if this is a good dog? I am told he is a champion and I would like to know form an independant source if this is the case. I am not looking to show the dog or anything but like I said I would like a healthy dog. The mother and half brother are available to see. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
earnieche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,155
Default Re: Help deciding whether to buy(in UK)

http://www.shanamor.co.uk/Uno.html

Nice looking pup but not too sure on the kennel it self - They mentioned he was health tested for heart (may want to ask about Thyroid and hips - but not sure if they do that in the UK) I would just check the health testing on the bitch he was bred too.

From their stud page!

Uno arrived here March 2004, he was bought for our own gratification and has fitted in very well, We wanted his line bred pedigree and is producing to our expectation, he has progeny Crufts qualified and overseas winning children, he is the most intelligent Boxer I have ever come across with an adorable temperament. A true gent

He is heart tested clear and Holter tested clear and available for stud to approved bitches
HannaBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,142
Default Re: Help deciding whether to buy(in UK)

I'd agree with HannaBanana - check the Mother for health testing.
Arbiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Default Re: Help deciding whether to buy(in UK)

Thanks for the help guys, I went to see the pup today and put a deposit down. The mother comes from heart checked(clear) parents but they have not had her heart graded. This is her second litter and I was told by the studs owners that the first litter were all healthy and well(breeder must have used their studs before).She is in good health and has not had any serious problems. She seemed like a nice enough dog, she was let out of the kitchen so that I could see her and she paced around her pups and did some growling, she let me pet her but seemed alot more interested in protecting her pups. The half brother was also there, 5 years old, he to is healthy and never had any real trouble, he was extremely friendly and very, very lively. The breeder told me that the mother is not her first boxer and her previous ones have never had any serious health trouble. The breeder said that she will have one more litter and keep a pup from it to show, she hasnt shown any of the previous litter or will show this litter because she wants to wait for her children to get a bit older so she can leave them alone. The pups are going to the vets next week and she will call me and let me know the outcome to see if I want to change my mind. Does all this sound good to you guys? Thanks again for your help.
earnieche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,155
Default Re: Help deciding whether to buy(in UK)

Ahhhh sound good? No, as even sometimes when parents clear testing, something can pop up when breeding an offspring. Sounds horrible - nope - middle of the road to me. If you feel good about them, know they will be there to answer anything and everything, agree with their breeding practices, then thats all IMO that matters. Good Luck, and keep us posted.
HannaBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Default Re: Help deciding whether to buy(in UK)

Hi, just got a call from the breeder who has been to the vets today and she said that my pup may have a heart murmer. All the other pups are fine but this one may have had a murmer, the vet was not positive. I can pick him up on Tues and the breeder suggests that I get him checked by my vet and if he/she finds one I can have a full refund. Is it murmers that are graded? if so is a murmer always a very bad thing? Thanks
earnieche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,155
Default Re: Help deciding whether to buy(in UK)

Murmurs in puppies are kinda common. Many of them (murmurs) go away as they grow, but best to have them checked by your vet to see if he hears it. They can do tests such as an echo to see and grade the murmur. Yes murmurs are graded -

Here are some info on them -

http://www.boxerunderground.com/aug_99/murmurs.htm

http://www.tytillieboxers.co.uk/Heart%20Murmurs.htm

http://www.boxerbreedcouncil.co.uk/inheritance.htm
HannaBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 358
Default Re: Help deciding whether to buy(in UK)

http://www.boxerbreedcouncil.co.uk/heartlist.htm

Thats a site where you can check out some uk bloodlines from the pedigree names and if they have had any heart probs
Hedgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Default Re: Help deciding whether to buy(in UK)

Thanks for the guys, this has put my mind to rest. I was expecitng to be told to walk away and leave the little guy but this does not sound anywhere near as serious as I first thought. Im picking him up on Tuesday, cant wait
earnieche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Heathrow, England
Posts: 7,902
Default Re: Help deciding whether to buy(in UK)

Awwww congrats on sticking with your pup

Lots of babies have them and some just grow out of them as they get older ><
__________________


Mel - Proud Mafia Mummy to gorgeous Fawn Boxer boy Zulu AKA Gotti Haveum 19/12/03 and
twin cutie pie Malti poo boys Mac and Stumpie 21/1/01



zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum