New dog in the house and a "chip" beat down as it were. - Page 14 - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Go Back   Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums > All About Our Favorite Breed > General Boxer Forum

BoxerForums.com is the premier Boxer Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #131 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
Lindar51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,720
Default

Yep I've done that circle thing Chip with my dogs a few times but its kinda funny when an owner comes out and the dog they are trying to catch is running the circle of keep away from them while still looking to get to you.
__________________
Lindar51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #132 (permalink)
Experienced User
 
Luvmiboxers@6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equestrian View Post
I am shocked at times too at how careless people can be. Even if they are uneducated about dog behavior, you would think out of sheer attachment to their own dog they would do a better job of protecting their dog by, oh, I don't know, KEEPING a leash on it while in public!

That little Lhasa Apso was lucky your boy kept his wits about him and remained under your control.
I appreciate you understanding how difficult that situation was for me, I am trying to train him for all possibilities when we are out and about I want him to know the decision on how to deal with other dogs is up to me not him I don't think I accomplished that this time and unfortunately my dog flipped into protective mode so now I am concerned when we encounter another dog what will happen or has he learned a negative lesson. He is going to be a very big boy and I feel like I must be able to control him at all times. I am still pretty upset that the dog we encountered was loose in an area that has a leash only policy but you would be surprised at the people who think its ok to violate this rule on a regular basis. I know no boxer is going to stand there and let another dog attack them but I had hoped to have a little more control. I hurt my knee pretty badly in this encounter and have been trying to get better ever since. I get so annoyed this had to happen as I am very careful where I walk my dogs. I agree with you on the horse/dog analogy on training they are very similar in that they don't forget a negative event!
Luvmiboxers@6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #133 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
Equestrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 73
Default

Oh LuvMiBoxers, I understand acutely your frame of mind. It is absolutely a valid concern that experiences like this one can cause a lasting effect.

When my previous boxer was very young, I now know that I "Didn't know then, what I know now", and back then I did not understand the gravity of what seemingly small but negative interactions could have. I thought I did, but I didn't REALLY get "it". I am sure in 10 years I'll say the same.... "Wish I knew then what I know now" lol. 🤣

Hopefully all of your mindfulness and attention to training will prevail and your boy will come out of this ok.

You are very aware of how your boy is reacting to things and that will help you immensely if he did develop a negative and lasting impression based off of that dog.

I try to always look at exactly what I am SEEING in my dog while out and about, rather than going off of previous knowledge of what he may have done or my concerns related to experiences with my previous dog.

I have had to constantly remind myself that my current boxer, Higgins, does not have a similar mindset to my previous precious boxer, who had a much more complicated way of processing things.

I hope your knee heels up quickly. It's awful that you were injured in that incident.

I do understand your concerns. None of us want to end up with a reactive dog that needs careful management if we can help it.

Hopefully you will be on the mend quickly and your boy will be unaffected by what happened.
Equestrian is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #134 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
chip18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 4,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindar51 View Post
I am always shocked by how careless people are with their dogs.

Boy you got that right! I know they all love their dog but really..be considerate of the other person. I had one where their very sweet lab retriever was running from the owner and to us, I don't remember how old Kai was at the time and she is yelling don't worry he is friendly he is friendly. I yelled back well mine isn't and he will probably take a huge bite of of yours if you don't catch him. She did and then I ranted about the leach law not only in our Parish but in our homeowners covenants. I came off I am sure as a nasty old lady. But really keep your dog leashed and the heck away from me. If I can do it so can they.
Nothing wrong with being cranky!! That encourages the "careless and the clueless" to secure there dog (assuming owner present) if they see you coming first!

I usually failed at that part myself (the lecture)?? I'd defuse the situation and the "clueless" usually got off with a "Train Your Dog!" Or in the case of the Mad Lab encounter. A "No Problem" and we moved on.

But Mad Lab I knew what had happened, as I saw they had company and most likely a guest left doors open??

So (Situational Awareness) there. And there front fence had a gate and the dog was not in it. So he was inside the house as we approached. But she had "COMPANY" and someone F'd up??

I did cross the street as we approached, to gain distance which equals time to react. I was screwing with my phone in a potential "Combat Zone" my bad.
And Rocky saw the dog first, he was on leash and slightly behind me and issued a warning bark, WTH?? Only an off balance stick block, stopped the dogs engagement!

But that owner was on her dog in a flash and was in Rocky's seriously ticked off face to retrieve him!! I was now more concerned with ROC then I was her our her dog! But STAY/STAY/STAY!! And he held fast.

She had my respect and no need for a "leash your dog lecture??" I understood how it happened and I could have taken another route. So I considered a partial failure on my part. So she apologized and I said "No Problem" and we went on our way.


So sometimes a "lecture is required" and sometimes it's not??? It depends on the circumstances involved??
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaru1pvCHOU

Gunther Mastiff/Pit Mix 2000-2010
Heidi Brindel Boxer 2000-2000
Struddell White Boxer 2003-2013
Stewie Boxer/Pit Mix 2000-2001
Rocky BLK Over Size Wl GSD 2007-2017
chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #135 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
TheBoxerPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip18 View Post
Nothing wrong with being cranky!! That encourages the "careless and the clueless" to secure there dog (assuming owner present) if they see you coming first!



I usually failed at that part myself (the lecture)?? I'd defuse the situation and the "clueless" usually got off with a "Train Your Dog!" Or in the case of the Mad Lab encounter. A "No Problem" and we moved on.



But Mad Lab I knew what had happened, as I saw they had company and most likely a guest left doors open??



So (Situational Awareness) there. And there front fence had a gate and the dog was not in it. So he was inside the house as we approached. But she had "COMPANY" and someone F'd up??



I did cross the street as we approached, to gain distance which equals time to react. I was screwing with my phone in a potential "Combat Zone" my bad.

And Rocky saw the dog first, he was on leash and slightly behind me and issued a warning bark, WTH?? Only an off balance stick block, stopped the dogs engagement!



But that owner was on her dog in a flash and was in Rocky's seriously ticked off face to retrieve him!! I was now more concerned with ROC then I was her our her dog! But STAY/STAY/STAY!! And he held fast.



She had my respect and no need for a "leash your dog lecture??" I understood how it happened and I could have taken another route. So I considered a partial failure on my part. So she apologized and I said "No Problem" and we went on our way.





So sometimes a "lecture is required" and sometimes it's not??? It depends on the circumstances involved??
Agree. Sometimes it's just an accident, and a case of wrong place wrong time.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
TheBoxerPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #136 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
chip18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 4,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I appreciate you understanding how difficult that situation was for me, I am trying to train him for all possibilities when we are out and about I want him to know the decision on how to deal with other dogs is up to me not him I don't think I accomplished that this time and unfortunately my dog flipped into protective mode so now I am concerned when we encounter another dog what will happen or has he learned a negative lesson.
I tend to think that other dog's in general and other dog's when/if you guy's get charged are two different thing's??

And yes an owner's dog "has" to be willing to let the owner "defuse" the situation first or you could end up in a dog fight situation ie worst case scenario!

If your dog react's first, with a lunge toward's the intruding dog, chances to deescalate are greatly diminished?? And attempted encounters can be uh rather random and lighting fast! They can catch you off guard quite easily! And no not every charging dog is an actual threat?? But it's "not my job" to read another dog's intent, so I don't.

And while Rocky was most certainly a 10 at knowing how he was "Expected to behave, when he was forced to deal with this "Crap!"

Mrs Bella, certainly is not! Much more of a 5 and with her questionable behavior at Dog Park Entry, on a scale of 1 to 10. With 1 being "No Issue's" and a 1, being a ...Stay the Hell a way from Dog! She's a 10!

I'm still trying to figure that one out?? But back on point. When we did confronted by, hmm a Chocolate Lab this time. That showed uh "to much interest in her??"

I did not bother with Stay because she is still an A-Hole! But I did step in front of her (and I expecting her to bolt in front of me??) But much to my surprise .. she did not! OK I'll let you deal with this one Dad! I was stunned?? But OK then and then we had to do thew circle thing tell a neighbor retrieved the dog. Worked out fine.

But you know how did I do that with (my new) dog that was barely leash trained when I got her?? Well I've done it enough with an assortment of dogs
to see the "Pattern."

And the one thing that is constant from a 16 week old puppy to much older rescues, is I have been able to get them first to walk well on a loose leash!

So they all have that in common and as long as I step in front, to intercept they've all been good with that. And really that seems to be about it??

And I'm gonna note that if one is using an EZ Walk (whatever) or God Forbid a Head Halter??? And if one "panics" and try's jerking there dog out of the way with any of those things ... especially a heads halter, you have a very good chance of causing injury, rather that preventing it, just saying.

Trying to work on dog reactivity and such is a waste of time until they can walk on a loose leash well (without distractions) first!
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaru1pvCHOU

Gunther Mastiff/Pit Mix 2000-2010
Heidi Brindel Boxer 2000-2000
Struddell White Boxer 2003-2013
Stewie Boxer/Pit Mix 2000-2001
Rocky BLK Over Size Wl GSD 2007-2017
chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #137 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
TheBoxerPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip18 View Post
I tend to think that other dog's in general and other dog's when/if you guy's get charged are two different thing's??



And yes an owner's dog "has" to be willing to let the owner "defuse" the situation first or you could end up in a dog fight situation ie worst case scenario!



If your dog react's first, with a lunge toward's the intruding dog, chances to deescalate are greatly diminished?? And attempted encounters can be uh rather random and lighting fast! They can catch you off guard quite easily! And no not every charging dog is an actual threat?? But it's "not my job" to read another dog's intent, so I don't.



And while Rocky was most certainly a 10 at knowing how he was "Expected to behave, when he was forced to deal with this "Crap!"



Mrs Bella, certainly is not! Much more of a 5 and with her questionable behavior at Dog Park Entry, on a scale of 1 to 10. With 1 being "No Issue's" and a 1, being a ...Stay the Hell a way from Dog! She's a 10!



I'm still trying to figure that one out?? But back on point. When we did confronted by, hmm a Chocolate Lab this time. That showed uh "to much interest in her??"



I did not bother with Stay because she is still an A-Hole! But I did step in front of her (and I expecting her to bolt in front of me??) But much to my surprise .. she did not! OK I'll let you deal with this one Dad! I was stunned?? But OK then and then we had to do thew circle thing tell a neighbor retrieved the dog. Worked out fine.



But you know how did I do that with (my new) dog that was barely leash trained when I got her?? Well I've done it enough with an assortment of dogs

to see the "Pattern."



And the one thing that is constant from a 16 week old puppy to much older rescues, is I have been able to get them first to walk well on a loose leash!



So they all have that in common and as long as I step in front, to intercept they've all been good with that. And really that seems to be about it??



And I'm gonna note that if one is using an EZ Walk (whatever) or God Forbid a Head Halter??? And if one "panics" and try's jerking there dog out of the way with any of those things ... especially a heads halter, you have a very good chance of causing injury, rather that preventing it, just saying.



Trying to work on dog reactivity and such is a waste of time until they can walk on a loose leash well (without distractions) first!
Can someone explain 'The Circle Thing'?

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
TheBoxerPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #138 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
chip18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 4,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoxerPrincess View Post
Agree. Sometimes it's just an accident, and a case of wrong place wrong time.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
Yeah and sometimes you have to "trust your instincts!"

And people congregating in the front yard, lot's of cars where there are usually only one or two, a known dog presence, guys working on cars and open garage doors, usually mean there is a dog around! So there were signs, and that was why we crossed the street.

I did get that right but I forgot the "Crap Happens Factor" and that is how the dog got loose! But "we" did get the chance to test out the "Dog Block with a Walking Theory!" And it worked out fine so it was all good.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaru1pvCHOU

Gunther Mastiff/Pit Mix 2000-2010
Heidi Brindel Boxer 2000-2000
Struddell White Boxer 2003-2013
Stewie Boxer/Pit Mix 2000-2001
Rocky BLK Over Size Wl GSD 2007-2017
chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #139 (permalink)
BoxerForums Addict
 
chip18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 4,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoxerPrincess View Post
Can someone explain 'The Circle Thing'?

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
Well as it turns out it's a "real thing!" "Teaching Rear End Awareness."

I was looking for a Heel Flip,Clip from Larry and found this one instead.:


But most of us that do it ...did not know it was a thing??? But in general if your dog is slightly to your rear or by your side and you counter the dog's initial charge. If they are gonna be real PIA's, they will start to circle. And you and your dog "circle" in response to keep him from getting to your dog's flank!

It's usually a "little dog" countermeasure since "most" little dog's are not really looking to engage anyway. But some might take a shot at a hind quarter opportunity if they can find an opening.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaru1pvCHOU

Gunther Mastiff/Pit Mix 2000-2010
Heidi Brindel Boxer 2000-2000
Struddell White Boxer 2003-2013
Stewie Boxer/Pit Mix 2000-2001
Rocky BLK Over Size Wl GSD 2007-2017
chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #140 (permalink)
Intermediate User
 
TheBoxerPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip18 View Post
Well as it turns out it's a "real thing!" "Teaching Rear End Awareness."



I was looking for a Heel Flip,Clip from Larry and found this one instead.:



Teaching the Heel Flip with Pak Masters Dog Training - YouTube



But most of us that do it ...did not know it was a thing??? But in general if your dog is slightly to your rear or by your side and you counter the dog's initial charge. If they are gonna be real PIA's, they will start to circle. And you and your dog "circle" in response to keep him from getting to your dog's flank!



It's usually a "little dog" countermeasure since "most" little dog's are not really looking to engage anyway. But some might take a shot at a hind quarter opportunity if they can find an opening.
Ohhhhhhhhhh! Thanks. Makes much more sense now.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
TheBoxerPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum