Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a one-year-old female boxer. My problem is that I cannot seem to leave her alone for more than 3/4 hours during the day without her weeing while I'm out. I thought by this age she should be able to hold it longer. She is fine overnight from 10.30pm to 7.30am, so I'm wondering why she can't hold it longer during the day? She has a urinary infection when she was a little puppy, so has been really difficult to house train generally, but she's now doing fine, except not being able to hold it while I'm out during the day for any length of time. Is this normal? All help and suggestions welcome! Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Did you check to make sure the UTI was completely cleared? Many times ppl just check once, do the 7-10 days of antibiotics and assume it's all good. Many times it's not completely cleared and needs another round.

Also, is she in a crate when you leave the house?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. The infection has definitely gone. She's been tested multiple times since. I don't use a crate anymore as it doesn't fit in her room and I thought she was past the crate stage, but maybe not? How long is normal for a boxer pup/dog to be holding their bladder at this age - i.e. 1 year?

·
Registered
287 Posts
She should be dry in the house now, larger dogs like boxers typically are house trained within a month or so, unless there is a problem.

Does she know that it is wrong? have you said "no" when she is doing it in the house? How long can she wait in-between toilet times when you are there?

or does she only do it when you leave? if so it could be separation anxiety.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If she has spay incontinence she may need to take medication. It's a physical problem because of low estrogen. There's a good article on the DogAware site.

These medications can be very effective, and worth a try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. She's dry in the house and can wait hours between needing to go. I take her out all the usual times - after food, waking up, when she asks etc. It's just when I leave her for more than 3/4 hours and I know I'm likely to return to an accident. She was spayed so it could be something to do with that. Although if it was incontinence or a UTI she'd surely be having accidents all the time, not just when I'm out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would always put my boxer in her crate if I wasn't there while she was younger. She never would potty in her crate except for a few times when she had a bladder infection. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like someone above suggested it could definitely be separation anxiety... I had a Pomeranian once that had terrible separation anxiety but it was gone once we started working with him on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts