Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I’ve researched this topic so much over the past few months that my head may explode! I’m new to the forum but I’m currently reading through similar posts that I find on here.

We have a 1 year old female reverse brindle boxer (Winnie) who has had the worst time with food since she was little. Like a lot of boxers she had become very picky about her food around 6 months old. We tried raw toppers as well as a few pup approved human food toppers to get her to eat and it would work for a few days and then nothing. We finally said enough was enough and had her back to just eating dry kibble until she started regurgitating it up after most meals. SO AGAIN we started wetting down her food (usually with raw goats milk or low sodium broth), only feeding her 1/2 cup at a time (to ensure she didn’t eat too much too fast) and yet still she would regurgitate a few times per week! I’ve taken her to her vet multiple times throughout the year we’ve had her and they always say she’s fine! But c’mon- constant regurgitation can’t be good! It feels like the vet just thinks I’m being over protective because winnie “acts” fine when he sees her.

I’m about to take her back and have them check for acid reflux or megaesophagus.. SOMETHING to explain what’s been going on with her! I know she has separation anxiety but since COVID I’ve been home every day with her for months so it can’t be anxiety induced.

Can anyone who has experienced this with their pup give me some guidance? This is our very first boxer and she’s our pride and joy, but I’m about ready to rip my hair out! Heeeelllppp! 😔

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would definitely get her checked for megaesophagus. If you told the vet that she regurgitates her meals no matter how small a bunch of times in a week, I'm a little surprised they didn't test for that.

And you are correct constant regurgitation is not good. Could lead to issues with weight and not getting enough nutrients and from what I understand the constant regurgitation can also lead to pneumonia.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Have you tried a sensitive digestion formula for her? I use Royal Canin sensitive digestion for my dogs and it works well I shred up boneless skinless chicken breast (boiled) for their food I usually boil 3 breasts and shred then freeze half of that store the rest in the fridge and just grab a good pinchful and mix on the food. Is she eating too fast? They make bowls with ridges in the bottom to slow them down. Maybe 3 small meals a day would work as well. My first boxer would throw up like that sometimes after eating or drinking but it did go away. I hope you can figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't rip your hair out yet.We all go through this problems with new pups especially. Winnie may be having digestive issues because you may have introduced something new in her diet and she may be allergic, intolerant or unable to digest the food. There are few digesive problems in dogs you should be aware of in order to learn when you dog may be sick so as to prevent it. Some of the problems include; Diarrhea, Small intestinal malabsorption, Pancreatitis, gastroenteritis and Colitis. If Winnie is not experiencing any of these symptoms you might be safe, but handle her with care and seek medical assistance to be on the safe side so that you do not prolong your dog`s suffering.

·
Registered
33 Posts
All of our Boxers have had sensitive stomachs, and we found that when trying different foods you need to give it at least a week to see how the new food works or doesn't.
When we finally figured out that Scout may be allergic to chicken, it took almost 3 weeks on the non-chicken diet before we saw results.

Maybe all the rapid changes in the diet aren't agreeing with her, especially since she's a pup.

That being said Scout still throws up her breakfast every once in a while, but we attribute that to eating too fast or something she got into in the yard.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for you input! After more trial and error a coworker of mine suggested that I try feeding her Tuscan Natural kibble and continue to wet it down just Incase. It’s been 2 weeks on her new food and so far so good! She eats it no problem and no regurgitation to report! I’m really hoping this lasts because I was so worried about her 😩 and after trying so many different things over the course of the past year I was especially worried that I was actually making matters worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel like I’ve researched this topic so much over the past few months that my head may explode! I’m new to the forum but I’m currently reading through similar posts that I find on here.

We have a 1 year old female reverse brindle boxer (Winnie) who has had the worst time with food since she was little. Like a lot of boxers she had become very picky about her food around 6 months old. We tried raw toppers as well as a few pup approved human food toppers to get her to eat and it would work for a few days and then nothing. We finally said enough was enough and had her back to just eating dry kibble until she started regurgitating it up after most meals. SO AGAIN we started wetting down her food (usually with raw goats milk or low sodium broth), only feeding her 1/2 cup at a time (to ensure she didn’t eat too much too fast) and yet still she would regurgitate a few times per week! I’ve taken her to her vet multiple times throughout the year we’ve had her and they always say she’s fine! But c’mon- constant regurgitation can’t be good! It feels like the vet just thinks I’m being over protective because winnie “acts” fine when he sees her.

I’m about to take her back and have them check for acid reflux or megaesophagus.. SOMETHING to explain what’s been going on with her! I know she has separation anxiety but since COVID I’ve been home every day with her for months so it can’t be anxiety induced.

Can anyone who has experienced this with their pup give me some guidance? This is our very first boxer and she’s our pride and joy, but I’m about ready to rip my hair out! Heeeelllppp! 😔
I also have a one year old sealed boxer male. It seems since I got him at 9 weeks he has never had really normal stools. Last week he started having diahhrea within 15 minutes of eating. I have every type of kibble on him and at one point I was giving him royal canine gastrointestional from the vet mixed with chicken thighs. He stopped eating a few days ago brought him into the vet and diagnosed him with pancreatitis. $500 later with a shot for fever and another shot for inflammation and metrozonal for 5 days. He gave me Kangaroo low fat kibble and 6 cans of wet food. He wont eat any of it. So we fasted him for 24 hours and made up some lean chicken breast and carrots sweet potatoe and some chicken broth in the crock pot and he ate last night. He had a poop this morning its not diahhrea but not a full normal poop sort of in between. Hopefully tonight I will mix in the kibble with it and hope for the best. If he doesnt want to drink from the bowl I take him outside and make a game out of watering the lawn since he loves to jump at the hose then he drinks so much as long as I can keep him hydrated.

I just hope hes on the road to recovery.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I had to deal with pancreatitis with one of my previous dogs she got it twice. It does take them a long time to get back to normal after a bought of that my dog was passing blood also at one time with that. She did turn out to have a food allergy and it was sweet potatoes that was bothering her, I eliminated them from her diet including treats and she never got it again. My current female had digestive issues as well she came to me with giardia and coccidia so that messed her little digestive tract all up she had terrible diarrhea with blood for awhile until I found an article on this site about bacterial overgrowth in her gut and how to treat it I actually took the article to the Vet and he agreed to try the treatment and it worked she hasn't had a problem since. I would be leery of using Kangaroo dog food there have been studies on exotic meats and proteins and sometimes they are really not good for dogs at all. I use Royal Canin Maxi sensitive digestion it is not prescription it has more fiber in it and has helped both of my dogs with better stools I usually shred a small amount of boiled boneless skinless chicken breast
I also have a one year old sealed boxer male. It seems since I got him at 9 weeks he has never had really normal stools. Last week he started having diahhrea within 15 minutes of eating. I have every type of kibble on him and at one point I was giving him royal canine gastrointestional from the vet mixed with chicken thighs. He stopped eating a few days ago brought him into the vet and diagnosed him with pancreatitis. $500 later with a shot for fever and another shot for inflammation and metrozonal for 5 days. He gave me Kangaroo low fat kibble and 6 cans of wet food. He wont eat any of it. So we fasted him for 24 hours and made up some lean chicken breast and carrots sweet potatoe and some chicken broth in the crock pot and he ate last night. He had a poop this morning its not diahhrea but not a full normal poop sort of in between. Hopefully tonight I will mix in the kibble with it and hope for the best. If he doesnt want to drink from the bowl I take him outside and make a game out of watering the lawn since he loves to jump at the hose then he drinks so much as long as I can keep him hydrated.

I just hope hes on the road to recovery.
t on it they are doing really well with this. Hope you guy gets better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts