Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 5 year old, 40lb female rescue mixed breed (Mia) , and an 11.5 year old male lab mix rescue. We have adopted a 10 month old pure bred boxer boy (currently un-neutered, other two are both fixed).

Bruno, our boxer, is co existing with them by being in a crate in the living room while they roam free. Our girl has play bowed him, touched noses etc. etc.
FYI: we bring Bruno out of the crate a lot - both for outside playtimes and pottying, and for night-time TV snuggling - just put the other two into an another room. We really want them to all co- exist freely both inside and out in our fenced yard.

Today we took Bruno and 40lb Mia out into our large fenced yard and walked them on leashes with treats for good, calm behavior. (Beforehand we had played ball with Bruno to get rid of some of his energy before they met up). She was fine, no fear, Bruno was OK but then started pulling on the leash as he wanted to run to her. We told him to sit he did., and seemed to calm down.

We walked a little more, then took them to a smaller fenced area and let them off their leashes - since they seemed to be doing well. She was still OK and looked quite relaxed BUT then Bruno rushed at her and tried to "boxer play" - with no prior sniffing, play bowing etc. etc. She squeaked and bit him , he tried to "play" more, she again squeaked and bit him (more like a warning, corrective bite - not an attack).

We stopped then and brought Bruno back into his crate, then brought Mia indoors. Fed them treats by each other - all was normal.

So, HELP!! Did we do it wrong? How can we stop Bruno from rushing her? How do we proceed??? Any and all advice very welcomed!!

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Well welcome aboard. And while your plan "seemed reasonable?" You pretty much got the wrong "Breed," at the wrong age, to get away with that approach?

And a note, telling a dog to "Sit." Does not create "Calmness?" Training a "Dog to be Calm, is a "Thing!" And no "Breed," needs to be "Trained to chill the He$$ out more than Boxers!" :)

SIt means SIt? It actually took me a decade to understand that? I am a Working Line GSD guy also. And on that forum they would get ... annoyed with me over.

Sit/Stay/Place and Down? They were like for "Gods sake just tell your dog to "Sit!" end of story? Well times passes and so do dog's.:(

And with my new and current dog Boxer/Pit (Bella) ... I worked a bit more on "Sit?" And you know what .. they were right! I tell "Bella to "Sit!" And I can turn my back and walk away, out out of site and she does not move! Pretty cool, but but that is not "Training Calmness," that's just obedience. There is a difference. So there is that.

And next before you ask or even go there. If you want to get him fixed, then go ahead and do so. But if you expect him to change his "Behaviour because you do?" Good Luck with that!

Boxer's are "High Energy, High Drive Dog's!" And "if," your other dog's don't much care for that? You will see what you saw. Right now your still in the "Grace Period," as far as your "Boxer," is concerned ... the boy plays kinda rough? And he will let (Mia's behaviour) go for awhile but unless ... "You get control of him, which your girl "expect's, you to do? It could turn ugly!

Well I got more, I'm not really a fan of keeping him in the "Crate," while the other's "Roam Free?" I mean sure that "seem's,' to work? But unless the "Crate Door, is open?" He's learning nothing!

So what "JQP," tends to not know? Is that "Two Dog's are a Pair and Three Dog's are a Pack?" When you add a "Third Dog, things can change?

And if you just got this dog? You should have done or start doing this?

I would do that and onto that, the most important thing you can do "Right Now," is walk your dog!

Just you and him! I had to learn/understand that the "Hard Way," with my "Pack Fighting, Human Aggressive first Working Line GSD!

And you can try the "Exercise Cures all approach?" But you will fail! Exercise is important? But unless you are a "Marathon Runner?" You will fail! Because a Human is not goanna, out endurance a dog??

The Real Difference between "Pro's and Jqp," is "Pro's," can "Walk Any Dog!" If you can't do anything else ... you need to be able to do that!

My Human Aggressive Working Line Human Aggressive GSD. To fix him,that is all I did? I managed his space and kept people out of his face (another story) but all I really did, was "Walk Him!" Just him and I alone (at night at first) for many, many miles ... in silence! We just walked!

So you can make this work. But you have to make changes. :)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
It’s really not resonable to expect a 10 month old male Boxer to act like a lap dog not going to happen! Given all the crate time he is spending watching the other dogs leading a normal life while he is locked up not good. This dog craves activity and mental stimulation he’s not getting and neutering is not going to make him less active. He can learn some dog manners though and it sounds like the female is over reacting because she’s not sure of him and it sounds like he is the dominate type so you have multiple problems here. Telling him to sit doesn’t accomplish much. He needs an outlet for the energy too he’s not getting enough physical activity. Mentally he’s been separated from the pack hes supposed to be part of human and dog. Boxers don’t mature out until at least 3 yrs old.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Stalking, and pouncing was a big part of the game when my Boxers played. If one could get up over the neck of the other dog, and get them down on the ground, it was a victory. The male wanted to play hunting games which were real physical and noisy. The female played by biting him by chasing, and biting him in his back legs. They used their teeth, but skin was never broken. I guess I'd let them play, and work it out. I don't think his brain is fully functioning at that age. If she can teach him the rules when playing rough, he'll learn she doesn't want his company to play. You'll be able to tell if he's behaving like a "bully", and keeps bothering her more. One may pin the other as part of the war games. If one starts really snapping, and blood is drawn, you stop the game. Can you clip a short leash to his collar? There are some you can buy that are short 8", and braided rawhide. They may end up as wonderful friends.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts