Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just got a boxer puppy, Maverick, 2 weeks ago! So far he has made some progress going number 2 outside, but number 1 always on the carpet. I make sure he gets outside at least every 90 minutes. Of course, he loves to puppy nip which is frustrating because I really want to play with him but don’t want my fingers chewed off. He has toys he likes. Maverick has been making great progress in his Kennel, especially for bedtime. He doesn’t seem to whine or cry anymore when we put him in there.
Anyways I just want some advice with people who are familiar with boxers and how I can control their high octane temperament and train him correctly. Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
90 minutes is too long for his tiny bladder.

I did 30 min. intervals for the first few weeks. This greatly increases his chances of doing his business outside, as well as increases the number of repetitions of going outside to potty. You always want to set him up for success.

·
Super Moderator
7,044 Posts
Bob is correct. 90 min is way to long. If it’s an area rug, I would roll it up and put it away for the time being. The rule of thumb is they can hold their bladder for 5 min fir every week old they are. At 10 weeks, I’d say every 45-50 min tops but I’d start at 30 min intervals and work your way up.

·
Registered
646 Posts
One rule of thumb I have always used its whenever a puppy wakes up take them right outside to pee they will do it almost every time and they always have to eliminate after they eat. If they are biting at your hands alot replace your hand with a puppy teething toy or some other appropriate thing for them to chew on

·
Registered
18 Posts
Totally agree on everything said thus far. I always take them out after playing as well. My female always has to go immediately after waking, after rough housing and after eating. Her brother doesn't go as predictably as her. I have found puppy pads to be helpful as well. I put them where they have went previously and they have went on the quite a few times as well. Then you start moving them closer to the door. Mine are 11 weeks old and still having some accidents but they have improved a lot. Enjoy the high octane temperament, and yes, train train train, for manners but expect high energy that at times will amaze you for at least the first 2 years, seems to calm down some after that but they are just high energy doggiesl! GOOD LUCK!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts