Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So I have read through the raw diet for beginners thread and Kaco suggested starting a new thread when I was ready to transition our puppy

We brought Eliza home at eight weeks old and she was eight pounds seven ounces. Today at ten weeks old she is roughly eleven pounds (used our bathroom scale) I ran out of the Purina Puppy Chow that the breeder was feeding her and just couldn't bring myself to buy another bag of that gross stuff! Our older dog is already fed raw and puppy was ready to get some of the good stuff :)

This morning I fed her about five ounces of raw diced chicken with a small bit of ground beef and eggshell (having trouble finding someone to grind bones for us right now. I do have an all natural dog store close by that I can buy premade raw food, but hoping to just be able to find someone to grind the bones for me) Everything I have read about puppies says to do 1 1/2 to 2 % of adult body weight, that works out to be about 20 ounces of food per day, which is significantly MORE than what we were feeding her kibble wise. When I weighed out the amount on my kitchen scale this morning it looked HUGE so I took some out and gave her a bit less.

Her momma is an 80 lb dog and her daddy is at least that big, never did get a weight on him. She was one of 11 in her litter and was in the middle, not one of the big boys, but not the smallest either. Is it really right to feed her three 6-7 ounce meals per day??

Last question, how long before she can handle bones and I don't have to worry about grinding it all? do i need to wait until her adult teeth have come in? my farmer that i buy all of my meat from gave me a huge bag of turkey necks that i would love to feed her, they are just hanging out in my deep freeze until she is ready for them!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update to add that we are now feeding her her meals in her crate to hopefully get her happy in there, we are feeding with the door open right now and she is doing fine. Kaco had suggested adding in pork after a couple of weeks but a guy at my farmer's market gave me all of his lamb tongue and hearts so i think I will try lamb next instead! Eliza was looking a bit skinny the past two days so I increased her food to 7 ounces of chicken and beef with eggshell. She sleeps hard after she eats but seems to be doing well. stools are very small now and not as frequent but i think that is normal, they look about the same as our older dog who is eating the same thing.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Careful mixing to many proteins at once.. slow and steady with raw works best or you may end up with a few canon butts, it was almost a month before I added beef into the rotation. Although if your saying her stools are good perhaps your ok, happy to hear you got a good score on meat.. I now have a few sources who will give away meat big one I find is hunters who have freezer burnt deer or duck... it's great

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking for some hunters around here! She eats so much and I didn't quite realize how much food she would go through in just a day, much less a week!

Today am a bit concerned because she has had NO STOOLS!! so weird. she doesn't act uncomfortable or like she is not feeling well. happy, eating, playing, walking, just like normal...I'll give it til tomorrow before actual worry sets in!

I am following Kaco's advice about starting her on chicken and beef...after a few weeks I'll add in lamb and then on to pork

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So another update, Eliza loves her food! we are working on making her sit and wait while we put her food down, she lunges and scarfs it down! :) She's already making progress and does great eating her food in her crate now.

Weighed her this morning and she is roughly fourteen pounds at eleven weeks old, so she has gained six pounds since we brought her home. I finally found a butcher that will grind chicken carcasses for me so we will give her that for a bit, but Costco actually sells bone in chicken thighs for cheaper than the butcher will sell me the ground chicken with bone.

How old does she need to be before I can start feeding her a whole chicken thigh or turkey neck??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts