Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the topic states.. My 11 week old female pup is obsessed with looking for dried worms in the grass and eating them.. and finds many. It's frustrating that it's all she wants to do and I can't keep up with her. She has, two times, gotten diarrhea that only happens once each time.
Her breeder has her on ProPlan Focus Large Puppy. Is she attracted to the protein and if so would changing her food help or is this just normal icky puppy behavior?
Any suggestions??

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I would restrict her outside activity to a leash if you want to stop it, redirect her with food, or a high value treat.

My guy thought rabbit pellets were chocolate m&m's when he was a pup, couldn't get enough of them. I trained him the "leave it" command and haven't had any issues since. It also works great for anything you want the dog to ignore.

She is pretty young so it might take awhile, but I highly recommend training "leave it" or some variation of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I use "leave it" when my other three dogs bother toads. So, that shod work well. She's just so headstrong and she's learn g to run from me now to keep me from taking her "prize" away.
I'll try the little training treats I have.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Thank you. I use "leave it" when my other three dogs bother toads. So, that shod work well. She's just so headstrong and she's learn g to run from me now to keep me from taking her "prize" away.
I'll try the little training treats I have.
Thanks so much!

lol. Yup, for her its a game now. Since you have other dogs that you trained the command to, you should have no issue at all. I do not miss that 1st year of puppy antics at all. lol

If she is food motivated, that should work in no time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This has also been a challenge with our 1-year girl Scout. Everything goes in her mouth. There's not a single flower below 4' in our back yard.

I did use Robert Cabrals method for teaching leave it, and she does really good when I'm with her, but not when she's alone in the back yard. Still working on it so "MAYBE" she'll outgrow it.

Here's a link:
https://youtu.be/nM_rrlpB6yA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh!! Thank you very much for sharing!
I hope she outgrows it by a year and it doesn't change to flowers!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Emmett is obsessed with eating grass. It is particularly an issue when it has rained or we have a heavy dew. He likes the weeds too.

I do use leave it. But sometimes he just wants to have a salad before he eats. Leave it works most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
This has also been a challenge with our 1-year girl Scout. Everything goes in her mouth. There's not a single flower below 4' in our back yard.

I did use Robert Cabrals method for teaching leave it, and she does really good when I'm with her, but not when she's alone in the back yard. Still working on it so "MAYBE" she'll outgrow it.

Here's a link:
Robert Cabal?? He's a great trainer! But on here I figured only the IPO/GSD and Mal crowd were aware of him?? :)

But unfortunately for the OP ... if she is "still doing," this crap at one year old ... when "out of sight," .. sigh it may be E-Collar time???

"Training a dog with an E-Collar," is a bit involved but for "Behavior Modification" not so much. Most likely one session with a "Pro," and it's problem solved.

It's a bit "trickier," to stop a behavior ... that one is not there to observe??? One would need to "bait a trap," as it were or you know stop planting flowers???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts