Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I’ve joined the forum in the midst of pure heartbreak and agony as I’m processing the loss of my 11 year old Boxer, Marley. I’ve had him since I was 19, been through so many life events with myself and my husband. He was so special to me. I never imagined him dying suddenly. He was going to be 12 in January 2022. He was going on walks slower than he used to but still going for a good 20-30 mins with ease. He was eating and happy, greeting everyone, barking from his favourite position on our front verandah. He was seeming his normal self! He had a health check done in July, with his vaccinations (which I now regret with his age) and the vet said he had discomfort in his back legs with osteoarthritis, suggesting I start him on Petosan injections. He had the first 4 of those injections with last one on August 6th. The only odd thing he did was 2 weeks before his death we went for a walk in the afternoon and wanted to keep sitting/lying down with head upright not collapsing or fainting. But I thought he must be having pain with the arthritis? I wish I thought more of this and went to the Vet emergency anyway with hindsight. Throughout his life he did faint when exciting / pulling hard on lead say if we saw another dog and got worked up. I’d brought this up with vets who never seemed that worried about it, just suggested he was cutting his circulation on his neck by pulling too hard. Never fainted off lead. On October 16 he was acting totally normal, had his dinner and went to bed. My husband was up at midnight and he was up walking around But he wasn’t dry heaving or making any noise, but there was diarrhoea there next morning. At 6am next morning when my husband woke up and came downstairs he was collapsed in front of his bed, dead. It was my worst nightmare and I believe I’m deeply traumatised as I can’t stop obsessing over where I’ve gone wrong and how I’ve failed him :( after researching for weeks I feel so angry with myself that I hadn’t had a routine blood test done since 2018, every year I’ve gone the vets haven’t offered and I’ve forgotten to ask :( and I’ve never had him checked for his heart Health except the vets listening physically. I just wonder if he did have some sort of heart issue I never identified which lead to his sudden death. Has anyone lost their box suddenly like this? I’m so disappointed with myself and now regret not doing an autopsy as I don’t know if I’ll ever have peace with this loss. Thank you for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I am so sorry you lost Marley so suddenly I know it must have been a terrible shock. Please don’t beat yourself up over this I know it’s hard not to ( I did it to myself over the grain free dog food) but you have to try. Sounds like Marley lived a good life and at 11 he was a good age for a Boxer. It sounds very much like he may have had a heart issue maybe an undiagnosed heart murmur those can cause that kind of symptoms i am surprised your vet never suggested cardio tests for him but regardless he still lived a long time. I know believe me exactly how hard it is when a Boxer you love leaves your life suddenly but hang in there. You gave him the best life you could and cared for him and treasured him and that’s what all dogs want. Take care and I am sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am so sorry you lost Marley so suddenly I know it must have been a terrible shock. Please don’t beat yourself up over this I know it’s hard not to ( I did it to myself over the grain free dog food) but you have to try. Sounds like Marley lived a good life and at 11 he was a good age for a Boxer. It sounds very much like he may have had a heart issue maybe an undiagnosed heart murmur those can cause that kind of symptoms i am surprised your vet never suggested cardio tests for him but regardless he still lived a long time. I know believe me exactly how hard it is when a Boxer you love leaves your life suddenly but hang in there. You gave him the best life you could and cared for him and treasured him and that’s what all dogs want. Take care and I am sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your kind words, it’s definitely hard not to beat yourself up but I will try think of the positives.. he really was an old Boxer, i am really very lucky in that regard as some people lose them so young I’ve seen. I’m really not happy with Vets now. Not that they know everything but going forward if I do have another Boxer I will be making sure I find a Vet who knows the breed!! Maybe some just don’t have that breed specific knowledge?!

·
Registered
237 Posts
So sorry for you loss. Having a pet pass is never easy.. They most certainly leave an impression on our soul.
I've had to put down more pups they the average family because we tend to take in some older pups that need a home to rest their old bones in :).

As crazy as it may sound, I feel you lucked out! Your pup sounds like he had a mostly pain free life and was able to pass over on his on... in a house he loved,, with smells he was familiar with.
I can't tell you how often I have wished this for the pups that have come through our home. Yet, none have been so lucky.
While I know the heartbreak is still breathtaking at times , try to find comfort in that the passing wasn't drawn out over many months and it happened in a place that he loved, with people he loved.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
So sorry for you loss. Having a pet pass is never easy.. They most certainly leave an impression on our soul.
I've had to put down more pups they the average family because we tend to take in some older pups that need a home to rest their old bones in :).

As crazy as it may sound, I feel you lucked out! Your pup sounds like he had a mostly pain free life and was able to pass over on his on... in a house he loved,, with smells he was familiar with.
I can't tell you how often I have wished this for the pups that have come through our home.
Yet, none have been so lucky.
While I know the heartbreak is still breathtaking at times , try to find comfort in that the passing wasn't drawn out over many months and it happened in a place that he loved, with people he loved.
This 100%.

Sorry for your loss Kelseypa. It sounds like he had a great life and couldn't agree more with bte's post. It always hurts losing a dog, but he made it to 11 (which is great for a boxer) with what sounds like some minor arthritis, I would say you did a heck of a job. Don't think about the would have, could have, think about all the great things during those 11 years.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Sorry for your loss. But you did good and yeah it never feel's "Good Enough," when you lose them. But you can't beat yourself over it. Guilt can lead you down a long dark deep tunnel of despair and it can take "years," to climb out of it.

As you seem to know 10 years for a "Boxer," seems to be a good run? I think that is "BS," cuz they are not that big? But it is what is? They tend to drop by the wayside, on our journey thru life. And we have to go on without them. :(

But they would not want to go in petual sadness I would not think? As sadness is not really a "Boxer," thing? Everyday is filled with happiness and they just make you smile!

I think the first "Two Week's," of loss will be the worst? But after that the tears of sadness at the loss "should be filled with the tears of joy," at the times you had together?

And this may help ... this is what my "Struddell," said to me ... when she had to drop by the wayside on my much longer journey thru life. :

Sorry for your loss. :(

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Oh I am so sorry. Losing a boxer really hurts ones soul. 11 years was a wonderful life. I think that when we manage to have our dog for that long we did good and he went in peace at home.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. From reading your story, it sounds like you were a phenomenal pet parent to Marley. And guess what? Marley knew that about you. You did everything you could do for her, and you can't beat yourself up over it. I suffered a similar loss back in 2017 with our fawn female Bella. And it took me some time to come to the realization of what I just told you. Time will heal. Take care, my friend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts