Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old pup, actually 3 females. I have never gone through a heat. What should I expect, how long do they last, and what should I do to get prepared? Is this a real messy issue? Anyone have any experience or suggestions please let me know. I am curious what to expect.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
I went through one heat with Macy before we got her spayed. It wasn't real bad for us, but it seemed bad for her. You should definitely get to the pet store and buy a cloth diaper for her with pads to put inside.

She'll have to wear that the entire time she is bleeding which is about a week. My vet described it as a 3-4 week process. One week starting the heat, one to two weeks bleeding, and then a week coming out of heat.

Macy didn't eat much while in heat and she was really exhausted the entire time. Not much different than a human menstruation period.

Just get her a diaper from the pet store, stock up on pads and make sure you change her often. It's best to put them in a crate when you can because the diaper can cause an infection if she wears it for too long.

If she goes outside she must be supervised and on a leash because the male dogs will come out of the wood work. I attached some pictures of Macy in her first and only heat.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Are you planning on getting them spayed? If you are you can and should do it before their first heat!

Well Ive gone through 3 heats with Roxy!! Shes not that bad of a bleeder so its not all that bad UNLESS she gets up on the bed and lays there awhile :sick: So for the "messy" part yeah it can get pretty nasty! Are all of your girls the same age? If so you have your hands full! Roxys last heat (a few weeks ago) wasnt bad at all! I actually almost missed it because I didnt see any blood at all!

Roxy didnt go into heat until she was 11 months old then every 7 months is her cycle! Ive heard that is around the average age for a first heat in boxers! Some come earlier some come later depending on the dog!

PS as for diapers...........all I used was a pair of old underwear(boys so you can just flip them around and put their nub through the hole lol) then put a pad in it!! Make sure though like uridiscence said that you change it frequently because they can and will get infections! Ive also heard they made doggy tampons but I personally wouldnt use them!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It's best to put them in a crate when you can because the diaper can cause an infection if she wears it for too long.
Just to clarify, you take the diaper off when you put them in the crate.

Age of first heat varies, from 6 months to 24 months.  Mine have been 21 months, 17 months, 17 months, and 15 months.  I always figure 28 days just to be safe - and they may all come in together, as one will pull the others into season.  

Never underestimate the lengths to which a dog will go to get to a bitch in season (or vice-versa) - take more precautions than you think are necessary just to be sure!  In my house we have a two-door-minimum rule between bitches in season and male dogs (crates count as one door); dogs can and do mate through crates, fences, etc., so be extra-vigilant.

The amount of bleeding will vary, by bitch and with each season.  Boxers in general are clean dogs, so most bitches will keep themselves pretty clean, but they can only do so much.  Usually the vulva will swell noticeably - though with Emma's first season I really never would have known if I hadn't seen a drop of blood on the sidewalk, she barely swelled and bleeding was minimal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
harley has went thru 2 heats, we are looking into getting her spayed. hers lasted about 3-4 weeks total. teh middle 2 weeks were the worst and it was a bit messy. i used pull ups on her. they worked fine. i changed them often. i would take them off for her to "clean" herself or for me to give her a bath and clean her etc. and of course i took them off when she went outside. for the most part she didnt try to chew them off, she would squirm out of them sometimes. but im an at home mom so i could watch her closely. her first heat was right around a yr old.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow so it doesnt sound too bad but does sound like a lot of work. We are spaying the white female now at about 6-7 months old. The 2 fawn females we are thinking about breeding. One is moms one is mine so we will see how much work the entire process is before making any decisions. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Dont forget read read read about breeding!! Also your not suppose to breed until 2 years of age sooo plan on going through about 3 heats!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts