Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am happy to have found this boxer community. My family and I recently lost our 14 year old fawn boxer. With the help of arthritis pain meds, his health and activity level remained extremely good up until the month we had to say goodbye due to a brain tumor. I invested a great deal of time in his training and thoroughly enjoyed the process of bringing him along in his training. He was a truly wonderful dog and was a tremendous loss. I just welcomed a boxer puppy into our home and he is turning out to be a very quick study as well. I joined this forum so I could continue learning, and read about others experiences with their boxer's health and training.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I am sorry for the loss of your 14 year old boxer, what a wonderful age to have had hime for. A new puppy is always fun though tons of work. We have a 4 year old boxer who is a very good boy. He actually belongs to my daughter who lives at home. I recently got a t poodle puppy, he is 10 months now. I wanted another boxer but could not find what I wanted in a helathtested pup and I've always wanted a poodle so. Training has been a ton of work but wanted to do this while I still am able too as I'm getting older.
Welcome to the forum, we love pictures.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Extremely sorry for your loss I know how it is from personal experience. 14 years is an amazing life span for a boxer what’s the secret? I had one that passed after 4 from renal failure unfortunately.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are the capability through which to commence utilising an objective with your p

Here are the capability through which to commence utilising an objective with your pet: Snap and treat the moment your creature takes a gander at the objective. Pick a suitable target. For a canine, your hand or a sticky be aware is a decent decision. Exhibit the objective shortly and about ¼” earlier than the creature’s nose. Once more, exhibit the goal ¼” far from your creature’s nose. At the factor when the canine touch the objective, snap and treat
target stick dog training | How to train your dog with target stick...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Extremely sorry for your loss I know how it is from personal experience. 14 years is an amazing life span for a boxer what’s the secret? I had one that passed after 4 from renal failure unfortunately.
Thank you. It's so tough to lose them, isn't it?
I am not sure what the secret was for him to live so long & do so well. I've wondered the same. I did used to brush his teeth regularly when he was younger. I also took him walking/hiking & on short runs a lot when he was younger. He ate a quality dry food and in addition to that started getting table scraps about halfway through his life. I loved him dearly as so many of us do and he was always at my side, night & day, except for his first 3 years when I would crate him if I was working or busy so he would not kill himself eating something.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sorry for the loss of your 14 year old boxer, what a wonderful age to have had hime for. A new puppy is always fun though tons of work. We have a 4 year old boxer who is a very good boy. He actually belongs to my daughter who lives at home. I recently got a t poodle puppy, he is 10 months now. I wanted another boxer but could not find what I wanted in a helathtested pup and I've always wanted a poodle so. Training has been a ton of work but wanted to do this while I still am able too as I'm getting older.
Welcome to the forum, we love pictures.
Thank you. It was truly wonderful to have so many years with him. I am still adjusting to life without him.
Congratulations on your poodle pup! Do the poodle & the boxer get along & play a lot? I totally understand about the search for what you are looking for. It took a huge amount of effort and some luck for my husband & I to find our new pup.
Yes, I agree, a new pup is a lot of work! I enjoy the training process a great deal and am enjoying this new pup immensely. Although, a friend (who has rescued/trained many dogs) recently asked me how I was handling the new puppy routine & potty training. I told her the puppy was coming along fantastically, however, I am utterly exhausted and in dire need of a shower. She said "That means you are doing it right!"! I really should not complain though. The new pup has started consistently sleeping from about 10/11pm until 7/8am which amazes me. He has not had an accident in the house in 1 & 1/2 weeks (& has never had an accident in his crate yet), and he has learned a few commands.
Thank you for your kind welcome.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Equestrian..Yes the poodle and boxer get along. The poodle is a standard size, I noticed my st only showed t but they re about the same height now, The poodle is much more bouncy than the boxer. Our boxer is pretty laid back.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thank you. It was truly wonderful to have so many years with him. I am still adjusting to life without him.
Congratulations on your poodle pup! Do the poodle & the boxer get along & play a lot? I totally understand about the search for what you are looking for. It took a huge amount of effort and some luck for my husband & I to find our new pup.
Yes, I agree, a new pup is a lot of work! I enjoy the training process a great deal and am enjoying this new pup immensely. Although, a friend (who has rescued/trained many dogs) recently asked me how I was handling the new puppy routine & potty training. I told her the puppy was coming along fantastically, however, I am utterly exhausted and in dire need of a shower. She said "That means you are doing it right!"! I really should not complain though. The new pup has started consistently sleeping from about 10/11pm until 7/8am which amazes me. He has not had an accident in the house in 1 & 1/2 weeks (& has never had an accident in his crate yet), and he has learned a few commands.
Thank you for your kind welcome.
Welcome! Sorry for your loss. Congrats on your new baby. We added a puppy last year and the good news is that the long nights and initial puppy training only last a couple of months...by initial I mean watching their every move until they learn the high level of what is OK and what is not. We still get a few things chewed up here and there...even with all of his toys and corrections.
We think the other two older boxers egg him on when we aren't looking... LOL

Do you have any pics to share?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Welcome!!! My deepest condolences on the loss of your dear one, it's the hardest part of this crazy boxer love - saying goodbye. 14 years is a wonderful, long life but still it's never enough. Our 1st boxer, Sophie lived to be 13. I didn't know what a rare gift that was at the time. I've said goodbye to so many over the years and I've found the best thing to heal a heart is to get another to love. You're right puppies are a huge commitment and the rewards are tremendous. Congrats on your new baby and looking forward to hearing all about the puppy antics:crazyeye:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome!!! My deepest condolences on the loss of your dear one, it's the hardest part of this crazy boxer love - saying goodbye. 14 years is a wonderful, long life but still it's never enough. Our 1st boxer, Sophie lived to be 13. I didn't know what a rare gift that was at the time. I've said goodbye to so many over the years and I've found the best thing to heal a heart is to get another to love. You're right puppies are a huge commitment and the rewards are tremendous. Congrats on your new baby and looking forward to hearing all about the puppy antics[img= class=inlineimg]https://www.boxerforums.com/images/smilies/emt_eyecrazy.gif[/img]
Thank you. I am happy to hear you have continued to welcome many boxers into your home and your heart. It's such a big loss when you lose one. I have always encouraged others to open their hearts to another dog after the loss of one, but I am also sensitive to how hard that can be for some. I have realized that I personally will always have a dog, most likely a boxer, for the rest of my life (as long as I am able to care for one).
I am truly enjoying all the training and supervision my new pup requires. While I am always seeking more knowledge, I have had the opportunity to work closely with a behaviorist/trainer with my last dog and learned a lot over the years. It is nice to apply all of that with this new pup and enjoy the benefit of having more experience before starting with this one, compared with my last dog who was the catalyst for me putting so much effort into learning more about behavior and training. I'm looking forward to learning more and building on what I already know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts