Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well me and my 3 month old boxer Kage, went to the dog park for the very 1st time today.
He wouldnt play with any of the "fetching toys" he would just chase the Bigger dogs who were goin for the toys, and when he saw one dog getting attetion he would run in and steal the attention (he was very good at it). There were a couple of weiner dogs he loved playing with those  :lol:

But When this blue heeler dog came in, he started Humping Kages Head with an erection even  :?  it disgusted me personally i didnt know what to do, until finaly the owner came and pulled him off, but Kage kept playing with him and that blueheeler just kept mounting his head, which made being there awkward.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yeah, that happens at the dog park.  It isn't a big deal, but it is rude in the dog world.  Try not to be disgusted. dogs are dogs and they do gross things, haha.
I have witnessed someone hit their dog for licking another dogs "privates"  I really wish I would have said something but I just froze in horror.
I have also heard a woman go behind her dog saying "No sniffing" for sniffing dogs butts.. RIDICULOUS!  I laughed at that one though.. how weird.  It would be like your dog walking around telling you not to shake hands with people you meet.
Every now and then a dog will come in that just seems to illicit the humping response from a bunch of other dogs.  Doesn't matter if it is male or female. It might be embarrassing for the owner, but the dog won't be hurt.  Sometimes the "humpee" will snap at the other dog to tell them to knock it off, which I think they are justified in doing.
Anyway, at least the other owner got him off, and he obviously wasn't scarred since he kept playing with him :)

I would just be careful since he probably isn't fully vaccinated at just 12 weeks and you have no idea what the dogs at the park could bring in- not to mention it is a literal dumping ground ;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
This is a really good point from goodgirl - best to be safe until all his vaccinations have been given.

g00dgirl\";p=\"66905 said:
I would just be careful since he probably isn't fully vaccinated at just 12 weeks and you have no idea what the dogs at the park could bring in- not to mention it is a literal dumping ground ;)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Where do you live?  I ask because in the Houston area, dogs are not allowed in the dog parks unless they are at least 5 months old.

We were gonna go to the dog park for the first time yesterday, but I just couldn't leave the football play-offs! :lol:   Shame though, Colts and Cowboys both lost. :(  :?   Still don't know how.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have to agree, I would wait til your pup has all his shots before that type of socialization...Second, dogs are dogs, the sniffing, etc is a normal way of learning about each other...Yea, it's a bit embarrassing, but I bet there are a lot of things we do, that our babies may think the same  :lol: Before taking him to the park, especially a doggie park, I would want him to have some basic obedience classes as well...We have some members of our meetups with pups, but it seems that the youngets age is about 5 mos, which is just about right...Too many dogs can sometimes be a bit overwhelming for a younger dog....

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
We have sniffing and humping (not a lot but a few) at the dog park, but it is ususally taken care of by the dogs themselves; they can usually work it out.  Most people watch their dogs pretty closely so we have very few problems.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have to agree too, you should wait until all the vaccinations are complete. There are just too many bacterias and viruses out there, and your puppy is vunerable right now. The vet told me not to even go outside and walk my dog in the neighborhood because he said he will catch something. So please becareful :)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Ringer had his first (and mine) experience at a dog park Saturday.  Much like yours, he had to deal with one trouble maker.  The pit that was in there decided that she and her sister needed to tag team Ringer the second he got in the gate.  After a few tense moments and me 'politely' convincing the pit's owner to pull his dogs off, things went better.  Ringer actually handled it very well.  He looked at me the whole time and didn't even bear his teeth because he was waiting for me to handle it.  Lots and lots of running followed by lots and lots of sleep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts