Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a scare Friday night.....my bf had minor surgery that morning, so the rest of the day him & Lola hung out on the couch...he had this Tylenol, bandages, gauze pads, etc. on the coffee table.  I arrive at 9pm, about 9:30pm we run out to the store, come home an hour later and are greeted by a butt wiggling Lola.  We're putting stuff away in the kitchen and I notice that Lola isn't sticking her nose in all the bags as usual so I go into the living room and turn the light on to see Lola laying on the floor chewing on a bottle of Tylenol with the caplets all around her 8O!  I FREAKED OUT!  Not to mention that every piece of paper that was on the coffee table was shredded to pieces, she ate the bandages, the box they came in.....she basically ate or destroyed everything on the table.  The bottle of Tylenol was no longer identifiable.  I actually logged on here to try to find out how to make her throw up, but decided that might take too long, so I called the MSPCA Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston (my vet was closed)....after being on hold for what seemed like forever someone picked up and told me that it was $50 to consult with a vet....I said "All I want to do is ask a question"...she says "Well tell me your situation"....I told her...then she says "We can definitely help you with that, I'll just need your credit card information for the $50 charge".....I hung up on her.  Then I called the VCA Animal Hospital in Weymouth and told them the situation.  They were great...told me what could happen and why I should bring Lola in to them...so at 11pm off to the vet we went.  We had no idea how many she ate and if she even did eat any at all....my bf was trying to remember how many he took through-out the day.  We came to the conclusion that she ate 1 to 3 of them...or we couldn't find them when we cleaned up.  Anyways, we go into the vet and they take Lola outback to induce vomiting.  45 minutes later the vet comes out and takes us into a room to tell us what's going on....she said Lola threw everything up...and started to tell us what she found then said "Wait a minute I'll go get it" and come back with Lola's puke  :puke: ! She points out the Tylenol cap, the bandages, the cardboard, pieces of apple, kibble, and a big ball of fleece.  The fleece was from one of her rope toys that I threw out a month ago because she was chewing it...a month ago and it was still in her stomach!  The vet said there was no way she could have passed that and there's a possibility that it would have got caught in her intestine which is a $2000 surgery to remove!  So I was happy that they got that up!  They didn't find any caplets though so she either didn't eat any...or they already dissolved because they did find a gel like substance which could have been them or could have been the sticky part of the gauze pads.  Either way we were relieved.  They wanted to let her relax for 1/2 an hour and then give her charcoal.  So we wait...finally at 2am they bring her out.  She's COVERED in charcoal...guess she didn't like it.  They give us instructions and I go to pay the bill.....$65 Emergency Exam....$62.55 Emergency Service...$121.85 Activated Charcoal...$89.40 Emesis, Induce...$37.65 Fluids SQ...$4.75 Biohazard Waste = $381.20! $-)  Then I felt like throwing up!!  We go home, and I gather up all Lola's fleece toys and anything else that she's begun destroying and toss them out...as she's watching witch broke my heart, but no more eating toys for her!  Then we passed out and she wakes up the next morning her happy, bouncy self!  They told us to keep and eye on her for signs of toxicity and to feed her a bland diet.  She was 100% the next day.  

Moral of the story: Don't leave your meds in the dogs reach!  

So.....how was everyone else's weekend!!???

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Re: 2 1/2 hours at the E Vet & $400 later...VERY LONG...

Hence why I always keep a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide on hand.  One morning Hanna ate 3 pairs of underware.  While I called her every name in the book, I had to make her throw them up. So give the peroxide.  It broke my heart to see her throw, and he had the look like um ma, what are your doing.    But trust me it was a  hell of a lot cheaper to induce comiting then to risk a blockage!!  So I hear you!!!

There is an e-vet in Pembroke, and its 125.00 to get in the door.  Been there once, and thank god the arm and leg grew back that they took!  Poor lola - just got to explain to her "Say No To Drugs".   Kids these days, they will try anything once.   Glad she is better, and sucks on the charges!!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts

oh my goodness...what a rough night. Glad to hear that Lola is okay. Phoenix will eat everything we leave in her reach if we're not around.
Very important message/moral though...could of been alot worse!

·
Registered
204 Posts

I'm glad to hear that she is ok. They charge so much for E-Vet. I had to deal with that twice. What I can't stand is when they come to you with that piece of paper withthe estimates on it before doing anything, and they ask you: so what do you want to do?!! It's like Do I have a choice?!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts

Poor Lola! Its rediculous what these e vets charge!!! We don't have one down here, but I have heard my mother talk about them, she had to take one of our Great Danes, and her Rottweiler. I hope your husband is doing better also.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

I'm glad to hear that she is ok. They charge so much for E-Vet. I had to deal with that twice. What I can't stand is when they come to you with that piece of paper withthe estimates on it before doing anything, and they ask you: so what do you want to do?!! It's like Do I have a choice?!!!  
Yeah like its an al la cart menu!!  They did this for Kash one time.  Two days before xmass showed me a 600 bill and said this is worst care senerio.  I just said he needs to get batter, start off with the norm, and then if things dont check out then we can do thru xrays, ultrasounds etc.  No need to just do them all when they are not needed.  Luckily I got out with a little over 200.00

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

So glad Lola is OK, it must have been so scary for you.  Kiah is a eater also, anything left out is fair game in her book.

G

·
0 Posts

wow, poor lola...goodthing she didn't get the tylenol it sounds like.  Bo likes to chew pill bottles...leaves the pills, but loves the bottles. He's eaten Jetta's antibiotic bottle and a Jetta's cranberry pill bottle...so now we know to keep bottles away from Bo...

Didn't know that about peroxide...my mom's dog Buster loves peroxide and tries to lick it off of her when she uses it...weird

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

kris\";p=\"81558 said:
Poor Lola! Its rediculous what these e vets charge!!! We don't have one down here, but I have heard my mother talk about them, she had to take one of our Great Danes, and her Rottweiler. I hope your husband is doing better also.
He's fine, thanks!  Just a minor surgery...was up and working on the house the next day!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

[quote="aquagirl900\";p=\"81575":20o6kwwc]wow, poor lola...goodthing she didn't get the tylenol it sounds like.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Liquid Syringe.    Before that I have used a Turkey Baster - but I have come a long way medically!!   Just keep things on hand for the kids!!   If Hanna or K eat anything that I know of that is not good, its up chuck!  I will not take any chances with anything!!!  

Glad both (Lola and Hubby) are better!!

PS - I think after dogs those without any kids will sure be somewhat trained!!!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Catosmommy\";p=\"81555 said:
Yeah, when I called they told me $130...which I thought was okay, but they didn't specify that was the charge just to walk through the door!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Wow...what a scary night! I'm glad Lola is okay. To me it would have been worth the $381.20 just to get the fleece out!  8O  It would have been a bunch more if she hadn't have thrown it up.
Sorry for the rough night, but I'm glad she is back to her bouncy wiggly self!  :D

·
Registered
882 Posts

OMG, poor Lola, I'm so glad she is ok!...I would have also freaked out....and also wow you were so lucky with the ball of fleece, I can't believe it stayed in there that long!!....you must have been exhausted after this ordeal 8O.....I'm Glad that Gaby isn't an eater, she's just a chewer so far...But I don't leave anything around, my place is totally puppy proofed for those reasons, I'm very paranoid about stuff like that when it comes to my baby....I think you need to have your self a good drink after this right :lol:

·
Banned
2,318 Posts

sounds like a rough weekend!! hope that Lola and bf are both feeling better! i can't believe that ball of fleece stayed in there so long.. wonder what is in sumyas tummy that i don't know about?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts