Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have been throwing around the idea of getting another Boxer friend for Blue.  We found a little girl boxer from the GO Boxer Rescue here in Ohio.  Just wondering what everyones opinion is about having two Boxers.  We want Blue to have a playmate, and I feel like my husband and I can never tire Blue out no matter how long we play with him.  Plus, Blue LOVES being around other dogs.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Having 2 boxers is wonderful but ALOT of work. If you are home all the time it is great. Just make sure you have plenty of time to spend with them. There is nothing better than having 2 boxer babies romping around the house at one time. We had 2 at once before but had issues with our community and we had to rehome 1 with family. I miss her so much. Even though i see her all the time i miss having her in my home. Good luck with your decision!!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
We have 2 boxers and it is so wonderful that I want a 3rd.   :D  I am home all the time so I have alot of time to spend with them.  They sunuggle together and play together.....they are so much fun to watch.  I recomend 2 boxers to anyone who truely wants them and has the patience for them.   :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help!  The only problem is that at this moment, my husband and I are never home at the same time!  I'm not sure if that would cause any problems.  I teach and coach, then when I get home he is leaving for night classes.  Someone will always be there with them, and when we aren't they will have their own crates.  Should we wait till he is done with class, when both of us can be home with them, or will that even make a difference?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We have two boxers, and i want to add a third later down the road! My bf and i arent home the same times during the week but that works to our advantage. I am gone in the mornings so he takes care of them, and he leaves in the afternoon/evening and i get home so i take care of them then. That way they are kenneled from time to time, but not that often.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I really don't think it's important that you both be there all the time...One of the reasons for having 2 is so they can keep each other company, so don't feel that as you both are not home all the time it cannot work....When I had Buck & Tia, both myself & the ex were working full time, me from 9-5:30, him from 5:30 to 7 and they did great!!! I walked them both every morning before work, played with them when I got home, so yes it can be done  :) How old is Blaze now? I don't think you need ot wait til he's  done with classes, but I do suggest if you have any behaviorial issues, to get those worked out prior to bringing in another Boxer.....They are addicting, aren't they? Anxiously awaiting for my third one  :)  Good luck and keep us posted..

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Having two boxers is a lot of fun, but along with the fun comes work.

We waited until Hanna was fully obedience trained as well as housebroken to get Kash.  She was about 1.3 years old.   It worked out well but since having him her training as regressed a bit, so now we are starting to train him, as well as brush up on her manners.

I think if you have the resources ($$) time and patients it came be done without pulling out too much hair.  if you are questioning any aspect of it, then maybe right now is the time to start to plan, budget and work on training your first dog, then you can introduce the second.   Also rescue may require more attention depending on their situation so maybe getting settled in the new place, is best then maybe add.  Also stress on moving can also disrupt your current dog, and you want to be able to give 100% attention to any an all adjustments first - thats my opinion.  Also with two it may take two to work thru the introduction.   I needed my husband and breeder for the first week!!  

Good Luck and congrats on selecting the avenue of a rescue!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 2 boxers and I think it's wonderful! Boxers need to keep busy and what's better then another boxer as a playmate!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
FREDOSMOM\";p=\"43892 said:
I would love to get another, I'm just nervous that I don't have enough room.
In my opinion, two boxers are no harder than one, and require no more time......but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
BoxerMomx2\";p=\"43897 said:
[quote="FREDOSMOM\";p=\"43892":1ury6m3c]I would love to get another, I'm just nervous that I don't have enough room.
In my opinion, two boxers are no harder than one, and require no more time......but that's just my opinion.[/quote:1ury6m3c]

I'm definitely getting another boxer, i just want to wait until i have my own house, with a yard and ... oh yeah... money helps too! LOL!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I think it's a very individual thing...we have three! People often think we are nuts...but, we are LOVIN IT! :) I know that two is great...at the very least they entertain eachother! :) Also, they keep eachother company if you have to be gone!

Good luck!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would love to have another as well for the same reasons as you, but getting one was hard enough! My wife wasn't exactly a "dog person", but now she loves Hoos! I'd definately have to wait until I had a house of my own and a little more than my teacher salary before I could sell her on a second. But for now, Hoos will do. When it does come time, you better believe it will be another boxer! Hoosier is my first dog ever, but I love him and the breed!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts