Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 female, 5 yo pure bred boxer sisters from the same litter. The bigger of the two (other was the runt) had been diagnosed around 2yo with having a heart murmur. She (the bigger) has been acting strangely for the past few days & I have just notice 2 large lumps on her throat. 1 on each side. They move rather freely and seem to not be painful for her. She hasn't been eating for the past 2 days regularly and has developed a reaction in which she will randomly have these attacks where she swallows repeatedly as if she has something lodged in her throat. Her reaction is to want outside to eat grass. Obviously it must be these lumps that are causing her the discomfort. I am completely freaking out. She means the world to me. With the Covid19 Pandemic in full swing it's hard for me to risk taking her to a emergency vet in which has potential covid cases at their facility. I have read about cysts tht form on the lymph nodes that can swell with saliva. I am planing on taking her to the best clinic I can possibly find in the morning. There is no amount of money that I wouldn't pay for her treatment. I am trying to remain sensible but I am also devastated that I hadn't found these lumps sooner. How could I have missed them!? & how long have they gone unnoticed!?! I feel terrible. Any information is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If its right underneath the back of the lower jaw on both sides, sounds like the submandibular lymph nodes are swollen. If they are swollen usually a sign of some type of infection. Only a vet will be able to tell you why, if that is the issue. Good luck

·
Registered
512 Posts
You really need to take her to a Vet right now, those swollen lymph nodes can indicate lymphoma most clinics are still open they will take her in the back you may not be able to go with her but she needs to be seen.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
The swelling does sound like enlarged lymph nodes. Many things can cause these to swell, including infection or cancer. Being that your girl now has decreased appetite, it’s time to get her into your vet. If you have a digital thermometer, use a bit of vasaline on the end or KY jelly and take her temperature rectally. Insert the thermometer as far as you can get it to go, usually 2-3 inches.

Normal temp is 99.5-102F

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 2 female, 5 yo pure bred boxer sisters from the same litter. The bigger of the two (other was the runt) had been diagnosed around 2yo with having a heart murmur. She (the bigger) has been acting strangely for the past few days & I have just notice 2 large lumps on her throat. 1 on each side. They move rather freely and seem to not be painful for her. She hasn't been eating for the past 2 days regularly and has developed a reaction in which she will randomly have these attacks where she swallows repeatedly as if she has something lodged in her throat. Her reaction is to want outside to eat grass. Obviously it must be these lumps that are causing her the discomfort. I am completely freaking out. She means the world to me. With the Covid19 Pandemic in full swing it's hard for me to risk taking her to a emergency vet in which has potential covid cases at their facility. I have read about cysts tht form on the lymph nodes that can swell with saliva. I am planing on taking her to the best clinic I can possibly find in the morning. There is no amount of money that I wouldn't pay for her treatment. I am trying to remain sensible but I am also devastated that I hadn't found these lumps sooner. How could I have missed them!? & how long have they gone unnoticed!?! I feel terrible. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Hi so sorry to hear about your pup. I hate to even think this is what it could be but I would have your vet check for Lympoma cancer. My Selma kinda started off same way.you can read about her journey as she went thru chemo at Selmas mom Lymphoma cancer search. I sure hope it's not but one thing that did help her when it got hard for her to eat was prednisone. It's so hard to come on this site still. So hope all goes well for her.
Big hugs
Selmas Mom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts