Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just brought Bruce back from the vet and they are asking us if we want the Lepto shot/vaccine.  I remember reading somewhere that the side effects are pretty bad.  Has anyone here had problems with this vaccination?  Is it worth it?  I do live near ponds and rivers where he might drink from, even though he hates the water so far.

My other question is that the vet noticed that his right eye seem kind of droopy and said this is a condition that is not uncommon in boxers?  I thought it was because he was tired and was playing pretty rough with another puppy all morning at the park.  Bruce knocks over the other puppy (yellow lab) and gets his ears and mouth pulled on.  But now that the vet said, I keep staring at his right eye.  Sometimes it does look a little saggier than the other, but not all the time and I have never noticed it before.  She also said that he will most likely grow into it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
With eye being sagging Sasha had this condition it was actually pretty noticable but she is now 1 yrs old and you cant even tell. Are vet told us the same thing that she would grow into it and did.  
With the Lepto shot I got no experience never heard of it. But Sasha goes to my lake all the time for a swim and drinks all the water in the lake. But she never gets sick from the water.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Duke's right eye is alittle droopier then the other one.  I've never been told that there was something wrong with it.  But I'm not sure.  Do you have a close up pic you could post of him?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have any close up pictures right now because I am at work.  I'll try to get one up when I get home.  You can't notice it all the time, but when he's really tired, the right eye does look a little different.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Honestly you need to research the Lepto and make a decision for yourself.  Its one of those personal decisions you need to make based on your beliefs.

I decided against it because I have found it to be a tough shot to take.  My dogs also are never out and about unless someone is on the other end of the leash (we have no fenced in yard...yet).  So they are always supervised.  If they went to drink or eat anytihng, we are right there and can stop it.  

We also belive that feeding a good diet, boosting the immune system and regualr exercise can contribute to fight off infections and therefor shall something happen, we will take it from there.   It was not necessary for us, so we passed.   I dont belive in many of the vaccinations, some are required by law, but you have to look at each dog, how they are maintained and live to determine if its right for you or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts