Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all of the puppies seem to have a bit of diarrhea. Its bright yellow or orange. In one of them it was shooting out all crazy like. Miley just got off her antibiotic like 4 days ago. So I don't know if this has anything to do with it. I will be calling the vet in the morning just yo make sure but figured I would also ask you guys to see what you thought. They are still eating and everything. So I don't know :/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Perhaps the Mothers milk is the problem? Did she get tested for coccidia and giardia?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know they did some tests on her. But I think it was only a parvo. I'm not sure I will have to call the vet. I know they did a blood panel on her when she went in for the c section

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was gone out of town for a day and my friend said Miley had some minor diarrhea this morning and threw up a little. But one of the puppies had some loose stools a couple days ago. I did pinch the neck skin on the pups but its hard to tell cause off all the loose skin Lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,106 Posts
It's normal, all puppies go through the loose poop stage. I would start deworming them very soon with Strongid. Do them at 2-4-6 and 8 weeks, you will notice a few days after their first deworming that their stools will start to firm up. If they don't, take one of them in for a stool sample to test for coccidia.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just called my vet and he said it would be a waste of time and money to do it now cause as long as they are nursing they will continue to get worms. 0.0.

·
Super Moderator
7,106 Posts
It's not a waste or time or money. There is a deworming protocol, your vet is being an idiot. You deworm mom and puppies at 2-4-6 and 8 weeks. Parasites grow in stages and dewormers don't kill all life stages so you must stagger them.

Find a new vet or order dewormer online.

Amazon.com: Pyrantel 50mg 16oz: Pet Supplies

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
I would follow Kari's advice - left untreated, worms can actually kill the puppies.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Worm them it's best for their health. My new puppy was wormed on a similar schedule and my vet was impressed that she only found 1 single worm in her 8 week check when we brought her home.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would use Strongid, it's not too hard on them and it is only for worms.

You have to use it 2 to 3 times at 10 days apart. I am not sure about puppies but would assume it's the same as this is the life cycle of the roundworm. The Strongid paralyzes the worm and suffocates it and they poop it out. Then about 10 days later new worms hatch and you do this again. By then it should be gone but sometimes the little buggers are resilient so you have to do it a 3rd time.

The worms can come from the moms milk. But you have to deal with it because like others said it can malnourish or even kill them. It's important. And Strongid is a pretty mildish wormer with no yucky pesticide flea killers.

I also agree and find a new vet.

·
Super Moderator
7,106 Posts
The link I posted is the exact same product as Strongid. Strongid is just the brand name.

The dosage is 1cc per 5lb of body weight every 2 weeks for weeks 2-4-6 and 8

·
Registered
811 Posts
Rypie, I must say that these ladies sure are knowledgeable on the breed and even more specifically one of the ladies advising you on what to do is an actual breeder themselves so please take the advice. I'm positive you want the best for those babies and even mama herself. Sometimes, vets don't always give the best advice. Good luck with those little ones! ~Misty~

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pups are doing better today. The bad diarrhea is gone. They are starting to play a little bit Lol the best they can anyway. I'm not saying anyone's advice is wrong. Just saying what my vet said. Tomorrow I will call my other vet that did the c section and ask her. She seems to be much better than the ones in town

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I hope the puppies continue to improve. Hopefully the other vet will have more helpful advice!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ugh. Well deworming is going to have to wait I guess. My mother got transfered out of town due to her health and I'm going to have to use my leftover funds to get up there. I hope this doesn't hurt the pups but I have no choice. I'm so upset right now cause I'm worried about the pups. ;(

·
Super Moderator
7,106 Posts
Dewormer costs less than $30 for a huge bottle. The puppies need to be dewormed. I posted a routine deworming schedule and failure to follow through might risk the health and well being of your puppies.

If you are leaving town, who is looking after mom and the puppies?

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
I am not sure you realize how important it is to de-worm the puppies.
It's EXTREMELY important.
They could get sick and die if you neglect this simple process.
I urge you to follow the advice you have been given - for the puppies sake !!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts