Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for some food recommendations from people with sensitive stomach boxers. Vet said stay away from completely grain free…I’ll be honest this dog is my best friend and I just want her to feel well..we were feed TOW but the fat is too high per vet..what is working for you all?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Taste of the wild is One of the dog foods on the FDA list for DCM. Purina pro plan puppy chicken and rice would be much better or Royal Canin boxer puppy. Farmers dog is not a good choice for a puppy with stomach issues already plus they have just had some recalls. Please avoid any grain free products

·
Registered
5 Posts
Taste of the wild is One of the dog foods on the FDA list for DCM. Purina pro plan puppy chicken and rice would be much better or Royal Canin boxer puppy. Farmers dog is not a good choice for a puppy with stomach issues already plus they have just had some recalls. Please avoid any grain free products
Hi! I searched for information on a recall, but no luck. Do you have a link? Id be interested in learning more about that. Thanks

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Well you will definitely hear a lot of just stay clear of, Grain Free Dog Food. Typically it solves one issue (usually itchy skin and causes another, that tends to show up years later.

For the most part, the best option would be a "Raw Diet." By and large most dog owners that have "Food," related issues (ie Sensitive Stomach or Itchy Skin) being the big ones. Are all eating kibble (mainly) it is very rare to hear of owners feeding a "Proper," Raw Diet, dealing with any of the issues of Kibble feeders.

But you have to know what your doing, to properly feed Raw. Muscle and organ meat and other stuff. It's not as simple as just buying raw hamburger throwing in a bowel and calling it good?

It is either easy or hard, expensive or inexpensive depending on who you talk to? And Vet's as a general rule are "opposed to raw.' But for the most part there objections, don't hold up to "years of thousands (hmm, well I guess millions) of Dog's, doing quite well on a "Raw Diet."

But doing "Raw Right," was to much for me? Many years ago when it mattered, I had a GSD with "Itchy Skin?" My first Long Haired Dog, so a situation that was new to me? So I went with "Grain Free," and while it seemd a good call at first? Many years later ... not so much. :(

Moving on. If you have a pet without any dietary restrictions, then your choices are pretty much open. Well save for "grain free," which we did not know 15 years ago ... was "CRAP." But at the time it solved the "issue," that I and others were using it for.

I'll go on but first ... a site, that gives rating and recall data for all Dog Foods is here. :

So that said if it were my dog and she had this issue? And I was not going with "Raw," because of "whatever?" I would go with the brand that just seems about "special diets." And that would be "Royal Canine," and if, you want to try (the food, I list) I think you will find it to be ... something of a "PIA," to obtain? Prescription required and most likely a "PIA," to obtain? But most likely it will work for your dog?

I had a Cat, that would UTI. And he would not eat raw ie canned. And the only kibbled he could not eat and would not have issues with was "Royal Canine S/O." It was a "PIA," and expensive for a 12 pound bag of cat food!

It was a pain to find when we moved to NV. And required a vet vist to get for a prescription! As if someone would buy a 12 pound bag for 25 bucks if they did not need to? But bottom line if I tried to feed him anything else (dry kibble) that was ultimately more expensive! That cat lived 20 or 21 years and Royal Caine S/O was all he ate w/o issues. :)

They have a food for your dog and I think thus would be it?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Hi! I searched for information on a recall, but no luck. Do you have a link? Id be interested in learning more about that. Thanks
The recall was in June for the small dog formula its on dog food advisor for salmonella. The oldest marketing trick in the book is to appeal to what humans think is good or looks good to them. I’m saying you would be wise to stay with brands that have a well known documented reputation with years of a reputation behind them. The other issue is grocery stores do you really think they are going to care if fresh food meant for dogs is left out of the refrigerator for any length of time? I don’t. If you aren’t doing the cooking yourself you can’t be sure. Someone may complain if they see human food left unrefridgerated like I have at a large box chain probably not dog food recalls are on dog food advisor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hoping for some food recommendations from people with sensitive stomach boxers. Vet said stay away from completely grain free…I’ll be honest this dog is my best friend and I just want her to feel well..we were feed TOW but the fat is too high per vet..what is working for you all?
We have a female boxer who was having continuous blood in her stool and UTI’s. We tried several foods including Royal Canin which is what the breeder had her on and our other boxer was on it for several years with no problems. We tried numerous other brands that have been mentioned but finally found success with making our own using a custom recipe from the website www.balanceIT.com. It allows us to put in the things we know she likes and isn’t allergic to as well as add the grains so it isn’t grain free. We also add cranberries to help with the UTI problem. The autobalancer feature will adjust amounts to your dog’s weight. We do buy their supplement to add to the recipe. So far she is healthy, hasn’t had any more health issues and loves the food.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My Gus is almost 2 years old, has a sensitive stomach and allergies. He can not have anything with chicken, chicken by products.... beef as well. Very hard to find foods that are void of those ingredients that isn't grain free or full of peas and legumes. We have been using Farmina Ancestral Grains Lamb, oats and blueberry recipe. He is doing well with this brand. It is a bit pricey, and not sold in most Big box stores. However I have ordered it through Chewy on line and directly through Farmina. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had gastrointestinal upset with two of my boxers and used to spend a lot of money on vet prescription dog food. I did a lot of research and decided to try Four Heath sensitive stomach. I weaned my boxers off the expensive dog food and started the Four Health. My dogs both had bad upsets. My one boxer was 20 lbs underweight and couldn't gain. I must say it's been many years on the Four Health and they have some awesome! No complaints and they love it. I've saved a ton of money too. If you actually read what they put in prescription dog food you would be shocked. But I had nothing but good luck and my dogs did great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My boxer has an extremely sensitive stomach and I’ve been feeding him wag beef it’s an Amazon brand it’s made his coat really shiny and he seems to enjoy it the switch over from Royal Canin was slow but he’s doing great on his new food

1 - 11 of 11 Posts