Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am worried that my 2 year old Girl is turning bad. We had had about 4 incidents of her randomly attacking small dogs or puppies in the past month. I have no idea why, what is going on and what should I do, it is starting to upset me.

Should I just always put her on a lead and not let her go near small dogs forever? or can I correct her by water squirter or telling her off?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received as she was always so lovely with dogs and people but now she is horrible.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I don't know, training is not my area.. but I personally would keep her away from all small dogs until you see a professional trainer, I would hold off on spraying her with water, she may just be dog reactive and that's ok.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You need to get with a good trainer. If your dog is attacking other dogs, you're going to need more then a water bottle.
For now don't put he dog in a position to make a bad choice. The chances are high your dog is giving signs way before the attacks happens. A good trainer I will teach you how to read the dog and correct the issues.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
The most important thing you can do ... is what your doing right now ... "out think your dog." Currently your putting her in positions/situations where she is given the "opportunity" to "make poor choices." And the more "opportunity" to do thast she is given the better at it she gets ... obviously ... not good.

The leash and not allowing her the "opportunity" to make poor choices is good. Better for her and the owners of her victims. But ... you can do better than simply that ... more on that in a bit. :)

Telling her off or a squirt bottle?? Yeah ...uh "NO" you can't "Fairly Correct" a dog until they "understand ... how you expect them to behave. The "issues" you are having now ... one is most likely a result of sexual maturity and the "acting out because of that is mostly a failing in properly establishing "Rules/Structure and Limitations." Having those is place ... makes "issues" easier to solve if and when problems crop up. The dog understands what is expected of them.

For details and the long version on that ... see here:
German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - My 11 month old GS is crazy!

And I may not have mentioned it at the time but "walking your dog" is extremely important. A proper structured walk is important for "leadership." A dog does not an owner for exercise ... but they need owners to go on a "structured walk."

Hmmm ... getting long here so ... in part two .. I'll more directly address the what can you do now question. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Telling her off or a squirt bottle?? Yeah ...uh "NO" you can't "Fairly Correct" a dog until they "understand ... how you expect them to behave. The "issues" you are having now ... one is most likely a result of sexual maturity and the "acting out because of that is mostly a failing in properly establishing "Rules/Structure and Limitations." Having those is place ... makes "issues" easier to solve if and when problems crop up. The dog understands what is expected of them.
I would agree in most cases but in the case of an attack (which is what she's talking about) there is no "Fair Correction".
You stop it by whatever mean are necessary.

If your dog jumps on the couch and you yell NO, then yank the crap out of him.... that's a unfair correction.
If your dog jumps on a smaller dog you don't worry about "fair", you end the conflict.
You can work on being fair in a controlled environment.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Write down all the details surrounding the attacks! Does this happen around gates, or food? Is she growling, and laying on top of the other dogs instead of biting? Is she going after other females, or dogs that are more timid? A behaviorist can put this all together to help determine what's going on. Maybe it's fear based, and punishing her may just make things worse. Keep her out of the situations until you can get help figuring out how to deal with it.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
I would agree in most cases but in the case of an attack (which is what she's talking about) there is no "Fair Correction".
You stop it by whatever mean are necessary.

If your dog jumps on the couch and you yell NO, then yank the crap out of him.... that's a unfair correction.
If your dog jumps on a smaller dog you don't worry about "fair", you end the conflict.
You can work on being fair in a controlled environment.
LOL, valid "observations" ... of course. :cheers:

These days ... I no longer feel the need to try and outline "everything" in one giant wall of text. :chair:

So I'll break it down more going forward ... "like this." Nothing wrong with "Find a Trainer" advise and it's usually best suited for owners who don't want to change "anything" and insist on fitting there dog into the "Lab" mold ... come what may. :)

And yes 4 attacks on little dogs and puppies and stuff ... sounds pretty bad ... but this owner (in my view) asked the right question ... "Do I need to keep her leashed around small dogs forever???" That is an intelligent thought question worth of a "DIY DOG, Owner" who is willing to make changes, they just need to know how??

I contrast that with someone who states ... "my dog has attacked small dogs and puppies four times, how do I make her "Dog Friendly???" Most likely ... the same things work in either case?? But since it was never my "goal to make my dogs dog friendly???" I don't tend to address doing that, ... directly. It turns out mine were, my goals however were "predictability" "calmness" and "control" around distractions.

Her answer is "already here" "The Place Command" in that link of links. I'll just spell it out later for her ... unless you want to do it now. :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for your support and advice, it is much appreciated.

It has happened twice now, both Border Terriers, one of them was a friend of hers that she has played with for about 1 year now, but 2 weeks ago she was just starting out a walk with her boxer friend (they go nuts together and we usually don't allow any other dogs or people near them) but my friend with the Border Terrier wanted her dog to play, I did warn her that they are having "boxer fun" and he should not join the party but he did and it went very very wrong and I am so embarrassed.

The second time was in Windsor high street (yes near the castle but I don't think the Queen saw!) we were walking and she said hi to a border terrier then just started growling and barking in a really horrible way, it was so embarrassing.

Before that she has sometimes stood over small dogs or puppies and growled but comes away when I tell her to.

She knows the place command, (we say down) and she will go into a down and wait for other dogs to pass by when I say so she won't get run up to them, the problem seems to occur when they are under her or very close to her.

I am increasing her crate time as advised, and making a point of her walking behind me to re-assert my authority, but I am really upset by all of this and now will be constantly worried when I walk her.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Next to or behind as long as she's not pulling either is acceptable (in my view.) :)

Down, Go to Bed, Stay and Place ... all are similar but different. People conflate them all the time ... they are not the same. The "difference" is important. To be brief (for tonight) no one tells there down and expects them to do that for two hours???

But as they say a "picture is worth a thousand words ... which I can do also. :)

"Place" at work in the "Real World.":

And note ... "I'm not suggest anyone put there dogs in these types of situations!!" These dogs are essentially being "reproofed" the trainers already understand that there is very little chance that these dogs will "Break Command!" Proof of concept for the "OP" having a "Through" understanding of "Place" is important!

You can get what you want by "Flanking The Dog" addressing the issue indirectly" and "Modifying" your "Expectations" of how you expect her to behave. Train a "Known" command "Place" and correct her "if" for breaking "Place" in the presence of other dogs.

And ... another site I use often this Sean O'Shea "The Good Dog" he and Jeff Gellman Solidk9Training have pretty much everything you need to know. I just narrow down there stuff for people. :)

Ta Ta For Now. :)

https://thegooddog.net/training-videos/good-dog-transformations/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts