Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy has localized demodectic mange :( The vet said sometimes it occurs when they're young, then once they get older and their immune system develops it never comes back... that's what we're hoping for lol. Other times it does come back, and that's when she said it means that it is hereditary, and I should have Deacon neutered and not breed him lol... I told them I had no intentions of that anyway lol... anyway........ She gave him 2 weeks worth of antibiotics and a monthly flea, tick thing similar to frontline but it also takes care of the demodex mites... she said to use that for three months and he should be fine. I hope we can get it cleared up and it never flares up again... on a good note, Deacon was so good at the vet today. He was a little crazy dog in the waiting room with all the people and dogs, but when we took him back and the vet was checking him out, he stood perfectly still and was so well behaved. The vet and the assistant complimented him many times on how well behaved he was, especially for an 8 month old boxer :) I figured he deserved some tuna in his food tonight for being so good and now he's crashed out on my lap napping lol. Just wanted to let you guys know how it went :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Glad things worked out well and isnt it nice when they behave so well at the Vet? I dont have that luxury with Gouda..she is horrid lol

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Well that is easy to treat thats a good thing. Catching it early makes it much easier on the dog. My boy Jaxon thinks the vet's office is some kind of amusment park..LOL They love when he comes because no matter what he has done there he still gets excited going in. LOL

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Glad to hear it's an easy fix & I hope it never comes back!!! Don't you just love when the vet's compliment our babies :D Good boy Deacon!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My boxer had that this summer. It took a few months for it to clear, we went to the vet every 2 weeks to get a new scrapping. We had to do the bath and the "dip" medicine and after about 6 weeks we finally got a negative scrapping and he has been good since then..until today when he woke up covered in hives :down:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can relate DeaconBluez! We actually took Boz into the vet today because he had a little spot of hair missing on his ear. I suspected demodectic mange, and low and behold, the vet found demodex on him :down: He has to have a medicated bath at the vet's office once per week for four weeks and was prescribed an antibiotic and Ivermectin drops to treat the mange.

·
Super Moderator
6,980 Posts
Well I dont see this title to often, lmao. I am glad that the vet was able to confirm demodex. Its easy to treat and I am sure he will recover quickly :)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ I sure hope so. It being localized, I'm hoping it will clear up and not come back... I already contacted the breeder to let them know and told them I would keep them up to date on if it ever comes back. She said none of the other pups have reported having it so hopefully it'll just be a one time thing... And that sucks TheBoz!! Hope you can get it cleared up soon!

·
Registered
46 Posts
red mange is very common in pure breed dogs... There are alot of triggers, such as stress, going in heat.... It is very easy to get rid of. My mom has a lab that lives with it because the ivermectin can cause seizures and her lab cant get treatment besides the dip and it stinks really bad. I would watch my pet very close. When my boxer got it it took 14 weeks of Ivermectin

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Hope it heals up soon. Good boy Deac! Bella does wondeful at her vet's office as well, she is usually so busy giving kisses to the vet that she doesnt realized she has been poked with 3 injections and the vet is trimming her nails and cleaning her ears lol.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Quick recovery Deac!! Glad you have one awesome Momma who is ontop of things!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone! He was a very good boy... the vet was telling us about ivermectin... she said she didn't like it but it was about all they had to treat mange now, because they stopped making this medicine she gave us, but luckily for us, she said they had "hoarded some up" ... for cases like ours :) lol. I love my vet, btw... they had an accident come in which got them backed up and we ended up having to wait for over an hour, then still another hour getting him checked out and stuff. It ended up being after closing time that we were there, but by the way the veterinarian was acting you would have never known that. She was so thorough, checked his heart (which she said sounded great :) ) And pressed on his belly, checked his eyes and ears, and when she did the scrape for the demodex she didn't just scrape one or two areas, she scraped I think 6 of the tiny patches :) Then when she came back she sat down and talked to us very in depth about it and what to expect and all that. It takes us an hour to get there and their prices are a bit higher than the bad vets around here... but to me a vet as good as ours is worth the extra drive and money by far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts