Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago hubby goes to get a raw bone out of the garage freezer for Duke comes back in and asked if I was getting ready for an apoclypse with all dukes raw food....it's true I've been stocking up lol as if i were nesting. It's true I said I'm getting ready for the day we add a 2nd dog...he sighed and said we would need to get a bigger bed. Done and done. That's all I needed. I won. Lol really later that night we had a conversation and I have all green lights.

I thought about a puppy, but I think my heart is set on adoption from a rescue. Until tonight on my Facebook news feed a young lady posted on behalf of a senior who didn't realize the needs of an active boxer and needs to re-home. lol honestly think it's some sort of sign, get approval from hubby and than this guy pops up on my Facebook page... might I add he is only 30 mins away.. fingers crossed I'm hoping to meet with him this weekend.

Screenshot_20170410-224513.jpg
Screenshot_20170410-223610.png

·
Registered
5,069 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Oh he is beautiful. I hope it goes well. I'm sort of "chair ridden" ar moment which is why I hvn't been posting. Had a total knee replacements. He doesn't look like a senior in those pictures. Can't wait to hear about the meet.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The human that owns him is a senior, the lady who posted on his behalf is this pups babysitter. Apparently he stays at her home often due to the gentleman saying his too much.. this guy is 2 1/2 years old name is beau and he loves cats and sounds like his babysitter has been working diligently on his training. . I'm trying not to get my hopes up.. but it's so hard looking at that face.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am too ! This lady isn't responding back. Hoping he hasn't been spoken for, and if he has it would be nice for her to say so. That way I can continue my search.. she continues to read my messages I see but no response other than the first time...

Regardless I'm on the hunt lol I find the boxer rescue here in Ontario to have a very limited number of them and ones they do have are a big no with cats and I suppose that's the trouble with going with dogs that have been established in settings where there was none. When duke came home at 8 weeks we right from the hop established boundaries and how to treat a kitty with respect.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No response.. : ( pretty unprofessional if you ask me... oh well I got you all excited and now nothing to show.. the woman even took down the FB post so something has happened.

On to a new search.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So went and looked at a 5 year old male boxer at our local humane society.. just looking for some insight from anyone who has adopted an older dog...

So his background is pretty horrific and he looked extremely malnourished.. I'd say he was 30lbs just bones, apparently spent his life outside in a kennel and never lived in house... the staff let me take him outside and he was pretty rammy and I expected that poor guy likely has had no training whatsoever. His weight really concerned me the most... and the fact his never been inside a home... has anyone rescued a dog like this ? He was just neutered a few days ago and while we were outside he marked every where! Another concern, will he come into the house and spray down all my belongings...

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
No I've never done that and it would be a big undertaking but it can be done. I'll have more in a bit but see the first link here ... I just got a rescue.:
http:/nwww.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
So went and looked at a 5 year old male boxer at our local humane society.. just looking for some insight from anyone who has adopted an older dog...

So his background is pretty horrific and he looked extremely malnourished.. I'd say he was 30lbs just bones, apparently spent his life outside in a kennel and never lived in house... the staff let me take him outside and he was pretty rammy and I expected that poor guy likely has had no training whatsoever. His weight really concerned me the most... and the fact his never been inside a home... has anyone rescued a dog like this ? He was just neutered a few days ago and while we were outside he marked every where! Another concern, will he come into the house and spray down all my belongings...
I wouldn't want to discourage you from adopting this dog but personally I think its a huge undertaking especially as a 2nd dog. You really really would have to be committed.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I completely agree. After humming and having all night I've decided I'd be getting way over my head, so this morning I sent a message out to boxer rescue letting them know about this poor guy hoping someone with experience would take him on.. just not for me. The search continues, I have reached out to biancle boxers about inquiring about a puppy. I think for us having a young pups which I can mesh to our own lifestyle would be the best fit.. she has an 8 month waiting period but I think in the end it will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I'm Back! Applied to adopt this cutie 1 1/2 year old female named Lily ... FB_IMG_1494430037071.jpg

I just had my neighbour call and told me they called her a few minutes ago. (she was my reference) pretty excited... I think next step is a home visit. She sounds like a happy go lucky kind of girl.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like you are home and dry!... so excited for you... she looks so cute! We adopted 2 year old Leo from BRO last August.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts