Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moose is 14 weeks old, Iv had him for 2 weeks, up untill yesterday he was eating fine, now he is barely nibbeling most of his meals. He is 16lbs and I’m trying to Get him to 20lbs. I am trying to get him to eat 1cup 3 times a day 6am 12 6pm. Currently feeding him Royal Canine boxer puppy. Iv tried warm water and chicken broth to no avail. Any tips would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
634 Posts
If he was eating fine and is now not eating much (assuming he has not had a lot of treats, etc..) I'd be more concerned that he's not feeling well (either illness or got into something he should not have since puppies can get into a lot of things or swallow parts of toys). If he's showing any signs of concern other than not eating much, I'd have him seen by a vet.

His teeth may be sore, so adding the water an letting the food soak it up and get soft could help, our boys liked this when they were young.

If you are sure he's just being a picky eater (we've been through that too) you can try putting vegetables mixed with his food- cooked green beans, peas, carrots... there are some who don't recommend putting things in their food, but we do it at every meal for our boys. They get less dog food to offset the calories.

If you do a search on this site, there are a lot of threads about foods and such.

Our vet told us when our boys were young that they may skip a few meals or be picky for a bit, but eventually they will be hungry and they will eat what you are giving them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iv cut down on the treats as soon as he started being picky, we were using the treats (Zukes minis) as a training aid. Iv since replaced the treats with plenty of praise and he is responding to praise almost as well as treats.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
ps we offered 3 meals a day
Moose is 14 weeks old, Iv had him for 2 weeks, up untill yesterday he was eating fine, now he is barely nibbeling most of his meals. He is 16lbs and I’m trying to Get him to 20lbs. I am trying to get him to eat 1cup 3 times a day 6am 12 6pm. Currently feeding him Royal Canine boxer puppy. Iv tried warm water and chicken broth to no avail. Any tips would be appreciated!

My boxer was the same, he is teething. He will eat. Put it down, take it away after 30 minutes. Use his kibble as treats. We played find it to get ours to eat at times . We would toss the kibble and say find it. He liked this and would eat some. I wouldn't bother with adding broth etc at this point and not to worry about weight gain. As long as he keeps gaining he is fine you don't want them growing too fast. It is better for their orthopedic health to grow slowly. ps we offered his food 3x a day usually one cop each time, we eventually fed him about 2 1/2 cups over the course of the day. You can also put some kibble in a kong missed in with a little plain yogurt, freeze it and give it to him to occupy him while in crate. That way he is still getting a balanced diet with his kibble. Our boxer also responded well to praise better than treats when training.
I was also not one big into positive training however right now there is some free info on recoilers.com, susan Garrett is explaining her method of training and has some useful videos. I am finding them helpful in training . You may want to take a look.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Well ... I have a an issue with Royal Canine, for dogs that don't have specific, "Medical Issues" for there food. If you have a pet with a specif "medical issue" that one of there foods addresses ... it's over priced crap food.

Now that said ... I bought it for my Cat for uh ... 18 or 20+ years ... cats. Tux had UTI, issues and absolutely the only kibble that he could eat without issues ... was Royal Canine S/O, period end of story!

But if your dog has no medical "need" for there stuff?? It's an "over priced" corn filled "crap food!" You can do better for less. :)

There are about .... a million different foods out there! And yep, it get's very confusing?? But if your a "Costco" member the "Kirkland brand foods are pretty good and there is also Victor Brand, Dog Foods that are also very good. To name a couple.

But back to where to what your using and quite often regardless of what you feed them dogs kinda get bored bored with kibble?? Or even Kibble and canned at times?? But, they seem to luv rice?? Which is just a filler, pretty much has "zero" nutritional value aside from "Brown Rice", but they tend to like it.

So theses days I tend to sublament with "Rice??" Bella my newest and recent dog a Boxer/APBT mix was eating and what I always used Kirkland grain free with assorted canned. And then one day she quit eating breakfast???

So back to basic's, I subsisted about a quarter cup or so of Kibble with "rice" and yep ... that worked! She eats all of breakfast and dinner once again! So yeah, dogs like rice???

And sigh ... "Boxers" you know ... a can of sardines once a week and it seems like you can stay clear of "Taruine deficiency" issues with "Grain free" kibbles??

And that centers on "DCM" which can be a big deal with some Boxers??? Personally, I tend to think just give'em a cup of cat cat food once a week and call it day a day. But no one aside from me tends to say that?? :)

At any rate for pretty much any food related issues ... this is the go to site ... :
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

So you can go there and find out all pretty much all you want to know. :)

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Well lots of opinions on foods. Personally I like RC food but its so expensive so we went to Victor. I do not think RC is full of corn as I don't see it listed was one of their ingredients. But as I said we all have opinion on food. I must say I was on the band wagon of check everything thru dogwood advisor.com, now I am not so sure anymore. I have read lately a lot of good on the 4 major dog food companies, one being Purina. I like the Purina Pro sport and sensitive stomach formulas. I now tay away from "trendy types of foods. Costco and Tractor supply also have good formulas. Several breeders I have met have gone to 4Health from Tractor Supply . I think we just find what seems to be agreeable to our personal dogs digestion. I lean toward your dog skipping meals more to teething than the food itself. In another week or two go to 2x a day feeding. I'd offer a cup and a half each feeding depending on which food you stick with. I do add a tablespoon of Purina pro to my dogs meals, I mix it in well with the kibble. I buy different flavors and switch on and off. He doesn't seem to get bored with his food at all. The FDA is still investigating DM in relating to foods. For now I'd just stick with foods that have their protein coming mainly from meats poultry fish and not legumes like peas. https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-health-literacy/fdas-regulation-pet-food

1 - 7 of 7 Posts