Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 month old has seemed to always be very scared of everything unfamiliar or loud but after Fourth of July she is now terrified of going outside even has a little ptsd in the mornings one evening a firework went off when it was still day light and she released her butt glands. What helps your dogs anxiety? Again she has a vet appt as stated in a previous post on Monday but just wanting personal experiences as well

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sorry, I'm no help here, Zuke brings me outside to watch the fireworks/thunderstorms.lol

Hopefully some other members on here can give you some pointers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha that’s awesome! My other dog, he’s a teddy bear and he barks at them like he’s trying to get the fireworks he doesn’t care at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
My boy Bandit is 8 months old as well and the fireworks did a number on him as well, not as bad as your pup I feel so bad for her. What seemed to help with him was keeping the house quiet and calm and wrapping a blanket kinda tight and lots of cuddles. I know this isn’t the same case because she seems to have a more severe case. I do hope she gets better soon.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
The vet is gonna prescribe pills, because that is what they do. And a "typical" Gentle Paws type trainer ... "Positive Only," is gonna be a waste of both time and money.

I could tell you what they would recommend ... but I'd just be "showboating." SUffice to say that if I'd have gone to one of them ... with my H/A, Pack Fighting Over Size GSD ... he'd have been PTS ... many years ago "after seriously injuring someone." That ... "Never Happened" and what worked for him ... also works with dogs with less "exciting issues."

But the things that actually will help you and your dog are neither, exciting, difficult or particularly dynamic?? Walk your Dog, Train Place and do Sit on the Dog. Without going into a lot of "detail" ... that is what you need to know. :)

But they will tell you "PO Trainers" let's see ... "Treats, Drugs a Thundershirt, some harness crap to walk him (if that is an issue) and lot's of luv. They will leave out a "lifetime" of struggle with a dog that is frankly gonna be ... "Unpredictable??" You can do better than that. You just need to know how.

Trust me ... I could go on and on. But instead I'd do what I do best assign homework.

This is the first thread I created many years ago. :
German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Dog, Very Challenging

And if you look close you will see the Nicole Wilde article on the five rules for a fearful dog. Ironically enough ... pretty much the same things I did with my Aggressive GSD??

But to get up to speed see here:
https://www.boxerforums.com/behavioral-issues/181570-separation-anxiety-shut-up-dog.html

And here.:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/584842-separation-anxiety-=-shut-up-dog.html

Go over those and you'll be in a better position to ask questions. Welcome and aboard and sorry it's been a bumpy ride so far. :(

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
My newer pup a st. poodle has been a more fearful dog than other I've had. First I don't pamper him, no cuddles for being scared we just go about our normal routine, maybe a bit slower and I talk to him. I say well look at the jogger with is puppy or some other. I stay a safe distance away from what he is scared of. I slowly get closer each day or week. He is good now and we can walk and he looks at me to get guidance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw Ethel in your other post. Did you rescue her? She looks like such a sweet pup.

Yes, I did rescue her she is from a rescue in Missouri but was with a foster in Texas and came all the way up to me in Iowa!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My newer pup a st. poodle has been a more fearful dog than other I've had. First I don't pamper him, no cuddles for being scared we just go about our normal routine, maybe a bit slower and I talk to him. I say well look at the jogger with is puppy or some other. I stay a safe distance away from what he is scared of. I slowly get closer each day or week. He is good now and we can walk and he looks at me to get guidance.

Ethel always runs to hide in her kennel that’s her safe place. Do you think I should shut the door so that is not a option for her?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Ethel always runs to hide in her kennel that’s her safe place. Do you think I should shut the door so that is not a option for her?

I wouldn't keep her from her "safe" place. If she is comfortable to go in her crate just let her. Give her time to settle down and when she is calm call her to come out and do a little training or whatever your routine is with her. I think in time she will learn she is safe, I think I read she was a rescue so you never can be quite sure what they went thru and given time you can build her confidence. When my guy gets scared I just redirect him, I say it ok let go see, we do it gradually and not forcefully. He is building confidence, still has moments but not as before.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I wouldn't keep her from her "safe" place. If she is comfortable to go in her crate just let her. Give her time to settle down and when she is calm call her to come out and do a little training or whatever your routine is with her. I think in time she will learn she is safe, I think I read she was a rescue so you never can be quite sure what they went thru and given time you can build her confidence. When my guy gets scared I just redirect him, I say it ok let go see, we do it gradually and not forcefully. He is building confidence, still has moments but not as before.
Yep this! In addition ... if she can't get into her safe place, she could go into a full blown panic attack! And if she can't get into her Crate, she will find someplace to "hide" and she may injury herself in the process?? I've never dealt with a panic attack, but I have dealt with "Blind Rage." Dog's will spin, jump and snap at anything and anyone! OPr don't know maybe she would just curl into a ball and shake??? In anycase ... it's not a situation one would want to induce.

She needs to be taught to "cope with stress" and that takes time and the right approach.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much to the both of you! My I usually pet her to make her feel better and let her hide but it sounds like I’m almost encouraging her to be scared instead of just saying you are fine!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I’m almost encouraging her to be scared instead of just saying you are fine! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And ... you've just stumbled across your first clue!! Hugs and kisses ... make you fell better but that won't help her??

If it did ... people would not need "Dog Trainers??" Hugs and kisses are not going to help your dog get over her issues?? Dogs need "leaders" not nurse maids. You can tell her ...it's OK as much as you want. But chances are ... she won't believe you?? And that starts by uh ... keeping your mouth and limiting contact and "by showing her what you want." And that starts ...by "Walking her!" With a proper tool! A leash and regular collar a Prong Collar or a Slip Lead Leash! "NOT" any of the assorted E-Z Walk, or Head Halter Crap!

You should look and listen and listen to this clip.:

That is "Larry Khron" I tend think I work a lot like him ... so much so it would seem that anything I tend to recommend ... you'd here the same from him.

And yeah first intro the dog is on a "Harness" but that is because that is what the dog got dropped off with. Personally I'd still would have ditched that crap myself! But he is a Pro so it does not matter! I flatter myself but I'm pretty sure I could have done the same thing with the same tool ... but I would not. :)

We ... can help you deal with this! But your gonna have to do ... well a lot of reading and viewing of clips ... that is my thing! And while I may (in particular) sound like a "pretty ticked off" yank and crank advocate ... anyone that actually "looks" at what I recommend would see that such is not the case???

My Struddell never received a "harsh correction in her life! And neither did my Human Aggressive, Pack Fighting send me to the ER for freaking stitches, first Over Size Working Line GSD the (infamous Rocky!)

He was a serious bite risk and yeah but what what worked for him ... will work for your dog. It's all pretty simple and basic. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m definitely researching all the links that you have provided me. My husbands been telling me this all along but I guess he’s smarter then I am I won’t admit that though! Thank you!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And ... you've just stumbled across your first clue!! Hugs and kisses ... make you fell better but that won't help her??

If it did ... people would not need "Dog Trainers??" Hugs and kisses are not going to help your dog get over her issues?? Dogs need "leaders" not nurse maids. You can tell her ...it's OK as much as you want. But chances are ... she won't believe you?? And that starts by uh ... keeping your mouth and limiting contact and "by showing her what you want." And that starts ...by "Walking her!" With a proper tool! A leash and regular collar a Prong Collar or a Slip Lead Leash! "NOT" any of the assorted E-Z Walk, or Head Halter Crap!

You should look and listen and listen to this clip.: How Dog Training Starts - YouTube

That is "Larry Khron" I tend think I work a lot like him ... so much so it would seem that anything I tend to recommend ... you'd here the same from him.

And yeah first intro the dog is on a "Harness" but that is because that is what the dog got dropped off with. Personally I'd still would have ditched that crap myself! But he is a Pro so it does not matter! I flatter myself but I'm pretty sure I could have done the same thing with the same tool ... but I would not. :)

We ... can help you deal with this! But your gonna have to do ... well a lot of reading and viewing of clips ... that is my thing! And while I may (in particular) sound like a "pretty ticked off" yank and crank advocate ... anyone that actually "looks" at what I recommend would see that such is not the case???

My Struddell never received a "harsh correction in her life! And neither did my Human Aggressive, Pack Fighting send me to the ER for freaking stitches, first Over Size Working Line GSD the (infamous Rocky!)

He was a serious bite risk and yeah but what what worked for him ... will work for your dog. It's all pretty simple and basic. :)

What’s your take on jumping? Do you have good links for that? Or what do you do to prevent that?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
What’s your take on jumping? Do you have good links for that? Or what do you do to prevent that?

Hmm ... no has mentioned this in quite awhile??? I find that kinda interesting as I don't think Boxers are getting less jumpy???

Your kinda skipping a step the "Walk" but if the jumpy is an issue for you then you have to stop it. And for Boxers jumping is, well just another game. They most likely have "more air time" than any other breed??? And a dog will continue to jump on you and others until, you "Correct them" for making poor choices, by providing "consequences" for unacceptable behaviour ... ie that was not a lot of fun??

The jumping on people does need to be stopped, as the more a dog gets to practice a bad behaviour the better they at it.

Some "direct approaches are listed here.:
https://www.boxerforums.com/1941873-post22.html

And personally I used the "knee" thing ... dog's don't jump on me unless I invite them to do so. But while "I" find it easy to do, I have seen for others ... not so much?? And while it did my Struddell from jumping on "me" ... it did not stop her from jumping on others?? I finally stopped that crap with "Down" before she leaped up.

But the "knee" thing is simply enough (relatively) if a dog is going up on me. I bring me straight up and the dog's chest bangs into my knee and bounces off confused?? Well ... (they think) that was not fun ... I don't think I'll do that again?? And I never say word ... figure it out dog. But that for dog's six months are more. So they have some size to them. That is my go to technique ... but not everyone can do that??

Moving on, another approach that is not that post is also the "Pet Convincer." It's a blast of Air and a "PTSS" sound. It's basically a Bicycle Air Pump so you may already have one?? Looks/Works like this. :
Pet Convincer.com

Now that will work ... but "your" dog already has some fairly concerning fear of loud sound issues?? So it may not be the best option for you???

But plan B ... is the "In Your Face Approach." If you have some space and see your dog about to leap?? Watch his/her front legs ... right before she leaps ... stretch out your hand palm up in there face and say "NO!" Fingers up so you don't poke them in the eye!!

That should work and ... if you add "NO!" As a command and not a suggestion, you are also training your dog to understand the meaning of the word "NO." And that can come in handy down the road.

Hmm well this is interesting ...
Dog Behavior Training ? Stop Your Dog From Jumping Up On People | SIRIUS DOG
That's Lou Castle's new site ... one of my Pal's on GSD ... he got banned before me.

But he seems to have abandoned the hand in the face bit (he told me about it) in favor of turning you body sideways so the dog misses the jump??? Maybe that works with GSD's but I would question trying that approach with a Boxer??? A Boxer might miss the first time but I'm pretty sure they would make fast adjustment and one has now created a new game ... "Jump on me if you can." But hey he's a pro and I am not. :)

And sigh ...just for giggles I looked up George Zach, one of the kings of the "PO" approach. His crap would have gotten my GSD ... PTS but whatever. I thought maybe for jumping issues?? Sigh nothings changed with him ... he starts out with a freaking harness and it's downhill form there, in my opinion. But hey it's not about me.

Hope something here helps in stopping this issue. And it ... should not take much in the way of time. Ask questions and let us know how it 'whatever" choice you make works out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts