Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my husband called me at work around 4:30. He was rushing Talos to the vet. He's covered in hives. No idea how or why or what caused it. The vet said most likely we'll never know. Gave him a shot and sent him home with a dose of prednisone. One for last night and one for this morning.

Needless to say he started barking around 5:20 this morning and by the time I had gotten downstairs he had pee'd in his bed in his crate which he has NEVER done. The hives are worse. He's miserable. I got my husband up and ran to the pharmacy to get more benedryl. I also wiped him down with wipes for sensitive skin and had to go to work.

My husband said he slept two hours and then got up to go out. He's worse still. They are now on their way back to the vet.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm so worried about him.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Prednisone makes them want to drink more and obviously if he drinks more, he'll have to pee more.

Duke broke out in hives like that on 3-4 occasions. We never did figure out what caused it. After the breakout his hives would scab over and he would lose fur on those spots. He looked TERRIBLE!

The 1st and 2nd time it happened we went the vet route with the shot and the prednisone. It did make him want to pee more and he ended up peeing all over my BFF's floor while we were visiting with them! So make sure you take him out to pee every 1-2 hours at least. Pretend he's a puppy again!

The next couple of times it happened we just did Benadryl for 48 hours and that took care of it.

It hasn't happened since we switched his dog food!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
We did have a swell up happen to Struddell once?? We got home and she was happy and stuff but something looked odd about her face but I wasn't sure?? She came to me maybe fifteen minuets later and her face looked like the Michleinman???

And looked even odder with her still smiling and happy??? Off the the Vet we go a shot of prednisone and she was back to normal in a day or two. She wasn't crated so no peeing problems. No one knows what happened and it never happened again???

She might have stuck her face in an ant nest or something ... don't know??

And yes it's scary but I think your guy will be fine. Couldn't hurt to check you yard for ... whatever???

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Tuesday evening he caught a big fuzzy bumble bee in his mouth and tried to eat it. When my daughter went to see what he had in his mouth and opened and it flew out. We're thinking maybe he got bit and this is all reaction stemming from then. All I know is that he's miserable. He was even trying to scratch the bottom of his paws on the sidewalk this morning.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
OMG ... you got lucky!! Some Boxers apparently can be hyper allergic to Bee stings as in Drop over dead within minuets! I know of that happening to Vet Assistants dog at the Vet in the back yard. They could not save her. :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG ... you got lucky!! Some Boxers apparently can be hyper allergic to Bee stings as in Drop over dead within minuets! I know of that happening to Vet Assistants dog at the Vet in the back yard. They could not save her. :(
That is terrifying! maybe we got lucky because of the type of bee. I don't know but either way I just hope he gets better soon. I just wish I could do more for him to make him comfortable. Poor pup is so sad. He just wants mom to hold him and he cries when I leave the room.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Aw I'm sorry hopefully it's a once in lifetime event. You could try a Kong with Kibble and Peanut Butter to keep him busy. But make sure the PB does not have artificial sweeteners in it or better still just get raw peanut better but that stuff is messy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aw I'm sorry hopefully it's a once in lifetime event. You could try a Kong with Kibble and Peanut Butter to keep him busy. But make sure the PB does not have artificial sweeteners in it or better still just get raw peanut better but that stuff is messy.
He does love his kong and peanut butter. (we got the doggy peanut butter). Maybe I'll freeze one for him this evening so he can have a nice treat. We're also going to give him a cool bath with some oatmeal shampoo.

This is exactly how the husband and I planned to spend our birthdays weekend. (mine is today and his is on Sunday)

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
So sorry for Talos and for both of you too. I'm, sure your all miserable together over this. You will probably have to keep giving the benedryl for several days. I know it was mentioned on the forum but I don't remember for how long. I had a shih tau that got stung by a bee on her paw, within 30 minutes she went into anaphylactic shock. I'll never forget it it was almost 5pm on a Saturday, our vet was closed and I called PetsMart vet as they are within 5 min of my house (er vet 40 min, but I didn't know of them at the time) Petsmart vet said they would stay open for me as they close normally at 5 that goodness, they had to hook her up to an IV . we almost lost her. After that I kept benedryl on hand just in case, vet said to give it immediately then bring her to a vet. I hope Talos recovers quickly.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Boxers and bug bites and stings do not do well with one another. The Benedryl dosage is 1mg/lb of body weight every 8 hrs. If there is facial swelling and lots of hives increase to 2mg/lb every 8 hrs for the first 24 hrs and then decrease back down to 1mg/lb every 8 hrs. You want to be consistent in your dosing as well as continuing to give the antihistamine for a full 24 hrs AFTER all symptoms have disappeared.

So to be clear, that's 3 doses AFTER all symptoms are gone.

Histamine stay in the system for a very long time and if you stop dosing to soon you will have another huge flare up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the info. Kaco I'm glad you replied. I woke up Saturday and he was totally hive free. So I was thinking maybe he doesn't need the meds. By early afternoon there were just a few small hives. I would have thought if the hives were gone we're good to stop the meds. So we've been following instructions to a T. He had a small breakout yesterday morning again. Very mild compared to day 1 and 2. He got an oatmeal bath on Saturday. He's still very much his playful sweet self.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts