Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
I haven't had 3 male boxers but my mom has 3 male dogs of different breeds in her household and it's working good :) I would be willing to try if it were me. I would make sure to neuter which you are already on top of :) and I would be diligent with training and NILF.

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
Personally I would wait on adding another dog. You have two pretty recent additions that are very young. They need time to settle in and have proper training. I would give them at least a year before considering adding in another dog.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I've only ever had 2 dogs at a time and always a male/female pairing so I don't have experience with this.

However, there are many members here with multiple dogs that I'm sure can offer some better advice!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2manydogs, I can respect where you are coming from, however I feel that because I am home all day, that the training required isn't an issue. We also have obedience very close to home, which is nice.

I was thinking because they are so close in age, it would be nice for them, as well as easier for me, as they would all be in about the same place with their needs.

These wouldn't be 3 boxers, it would be 1 boxer, the american X and a bulldog X (looks like could be crossed with boxer, not sure)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The young guy I was thinking about is being overlooked because he has a "hare-lip" for lack of a better term, he doesn't have the cleft palate that goes with it, but it does affect his apperance some.

The guy I picked up on Thursday last week came from a terrible situation, so I was more than happy to bring him in. I feel this new guy may also be a great fit, and complete the puppy pack.

·
Registered
438 Posts
2manydogs, I can respect where you are coming from, however I feel that because I am home all day, that the training required isn't an issue. We also have obedience very close to home, which is nice.

I was thinking because they are so close in age, it would be nice for them, as well as easier for me, as they would all be in about the same place with their needs.

These wouldn't be 3 boxers, it would be 1 boxer, the american X and a bulldog X (looks like could be crossed with boxer, not sure)
With all due respect, I think it's funny that you ask for feedback, and then defend against something that it seems you weren't looking to hear.

I think 2manydogs' advice is sound. She clearly has first hand knowledge of being in a home with multiple dogs.

Being home all day with 3 young dogs isn't going to stop them from bonding stronger with each other, then with you - which is where you're going to see training issues.

Personally, I think 3 altered males can live harmoniously together; but with anything concerning dogs, it'll take some work (having them all be close in age, just increases that amount of work, IMO).

·
Registered
228 Posts
It can be done with three younger dogs. I have a 1.5 year old dog, a 1 yr and 3 month old dog, and a 6 month old pup. I am not home all day and I am very bonded with all three and they are bonded together as well. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication but my "kids" are vet very well behaved and they know that my hubby and I the leaders! I say if you have the means to support three properly go for it! :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Matty M, I asked for the following feedback:

Can it be done? 3 male dogs in a household?
I wasn't looking for feedback on training, or whether or not it was a good time for me to add another dog, I was asking about having 3 dogs of the same gender. Only I can decide if it's a good time for me, respectively no one on here knows me personally or whether I should or shouldn't wait, or what I can and cannot handle. Therefor my comments directed to 2manydogs were not defensive, but rather the posters comments were not relevant to my initial inquiry. No doubt 2manydogs is knowledgable, but again did not address what I asked.

I already have 3 dogs in my home, this would be 4, however the older dog is a non-issue. I am not ignorant to the work involved, or the training required, or how to maintain my position in the home. I was seeking feedback on having 3 young males in the home, and if that was a combiniation that works...that's it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I have made some decisions, and this is the breakdown on what is in my home currently...I know some of you will not support this, and will have your own negative opinions, but the truth is, this is what works for us, I am more than confident this is a good situation for all the pets, and that there will not be pack leader issues with regard to me and them.I am also confident that with summer here attention won't be an issue.

Cruz who is roughtly 5+ months (Boxer) M
Cash who is 4months (Lab X) M
Phoenix who is 10weeks (Bullmastiff) F
Daisy who is 9 weeks(Lab X) F

And our 2 older dogs, 7 (M) and 9 (F) years.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
If she adds another female ... that just may "create an issue with her "Female" Mastiff" or the younger females???
And that just might "trigger a female Boxer" to have an "issue with the other females .... wayyy down the road from puppyhood?? Somewhere in the 12 to 18 month range?? And if that crap happens ..."Good Luck with that!"

To me it sounds like the OP has more than enough dogs already?? But that's not for me to say. I would say however ... don't go looking for trouble, get a male and call it day ... if there are gonna be issue ... they will be easy to see coming ...with the girls ... "not so much??" Just my 2 cents. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts