Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks you. I got lucky. Breed wise shes pretty perfect. The epitome of a Boxer. I do want to breed her once. However, she is only 2. So minimally another year. However, starting to kinda put feelers out now.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
What genetic testing has been done on your dog to prove he is breed worthy? (not trying to be snarky). All boxers should be genetically tested for several conditions. This is what the boxer clubs recommend
Unfortunately in todays world being an AKC registered dog has little meaning anymore. Too many of our beloved dogs have died early in life due to the lack of knowledge in past.
I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yes there are heart testing that should be done and at least DM testing which is a relatively cheap test. DM is a horrible disease easily prevented by not breeding two carriers of the gene. ARVC testing requires holster monitoring these tests do cost but they cost more in emotional pain for potential owners and huge vet bills

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Glad you are taking the time to find out these things. The info you gather will also determine your dogs future health as well especially where ARVC is concerned. It really is the right thing to do. DM has been a disaster for so many people and so many breeds of dogs this is far from a Boxer problem alone.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Degenerative myelopathy (DM) is an inherited neurologic disorder of dogs characterized by gradual muscle wasting and loss of coordination typically beginning in the hind limbs. There is no known cure at this time. One of the reasons genetic health testing on breeder dogs is so important.

·
Registered
52 Posts
DM in dogs is similar to Lou Gehrig's disease in humans. It is truly terrible, and one of that many reasons that it is not recommended to randomly breed boxers. I lost 2 of my beautiful boxers to this horrible disease and I will never again purchase a boxer or any dog without full health testing from experienced breeders.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
DM in dogs is similar to Lou Gehrig's disease in humans. It is truly terrible, and one of that many reasons that it is not recommended to randomly breed boxers. I lost 2 of my beautiful boxers to this horrible disease and I will never again purchase a boxer or any dog without full health testing from experienced breeders.
I feel the same way. I want a genetically tested pup with a history of genetically tested lineage, I put a lot of money and time into my pets and I want them healthy and around as long as possible. Of course I understand even with the best tested you can run into troubles however your odds are favored. I guess years ago people didn't care as much dogs were dogs but today they are part of the family.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I am the same way after losing dogs that never got to live thier full potential I want to reduce the risk of some genetically passed thing. I put alot of time and money into my dogs and want to enjoy them for a long time. There are multiple other things that can take them away so it’s best to eliminate the ones you can do something about!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts